Football Division 1 Reports - 11th September 2021 - by Gordon Thomas

Goodwick United before kick off 

The Phoenix Boys are in seventh heaven


Jonny Horgan - scored twice for GoodwickGoodwick United 7 – Neyland 0

Goodwick United proved too strong for Neyland as they struck seven goals without reply at Phoenix Park.

Wayne O’Sullivan’s Goodwick outfit for the second week in a row kept a clean sheet as Sion O’Sullivan, Jordan Thomas, Steff Hayes Scott Delaney were rock solid in defence plus goalkeeper Kyle Marsh had a relatively quiet afternoon.

Jason Griffiths and Mike Chandler were dangerous for The Nomads plus Sean Hannon had a busy afternoon marshalling his defence, despite conceding seven goals as young Jake Payne pulled off some decent saves.

The hosts led 5-0 at the interval, Jonny Horgan opened the scoring, Scott Crawford doubled the lead, Rhys Dalling struck the third, Iestyn Evans made no mistake with the fourth, Horgan got his second of the game for goal number five.

After the break Dalling also got his second of the afternoon for the sixth as Jordan Griffiths wrapped up scoring when the striker added the seventh.

Goodwick United: K. Marsh, S. Hayes, S. O’Sullivan, J. Thomas, S. Delaney, R. Dalling, L. Hayward, S. Crawford, J. Griffiths, J. Horgan. Subs: N. Greene, W. O’Sullivan, K. O’Brien.
Neyland: J. Payne, D. Rowland, K. Arran, W. Clewes, S. Hannon, J. Williams, L. Barrett, M. Phillips, J. Griffiths, M. Chandler, J. Johnstone. Subs: J. Campbell, L. Harding, Bowman-Davies.
Referee: David Badger.

Neyland AFC before kick off

Rooks are flying after nine goal rout


Carew 9 – Hundleton 0

Carew hammered new boys Hundleton to boost their goal difference column.

The Rooks were on fire as they were clinical in front of goal as Hundleton following this heavy defeat have been given an early wake-up call if they are going to survive in the top-flight.

As the score line suggests this clash was very one-sided with as the goals came thick and fast through a brace each for Zac Rowell, Adam Muskett plus one each for Curtis Hurlow, Sam Christopher, James Hinchliffe, Joe Williams, and substitute Dylan Morgan.

Rooks’ manager Rob Scourfield must have felt pleased his teams clinical finishing; they are regarded as the dark horses for the title after last week’s 2-2 draw at champions Hakin United.

Carew: T, Davies, S. Phillips, M. Brindley, I. Izzard, S. Christopher, A. Muskett, J. Williams, J. Hinchliffe, G. Lewis, C. Hurlow, Z. Rowell. Subs: H. Shapcott, D. Morgan, S. Whitfield.
Hambleton: D. Griffiths, A. Lewis, C. Perkins, R. Griffiths, M. Edwards, L. Wilson, W. Davis, R. Davis, G. Overend, C. Carroll. Subs: S. Brunton, D. Powers, W. Abrahams.
Referee: Paul Rooney.

Pennar edge five goal derby thriller

Monkton Swifts 2 – Pennar Robins 3

It was Pennar Robins who narrowly earned the bragging derby rights with a hard-fought victory in a five-goal thriller at Monkton Lane.

This derby clash is not for the faint hearted, Nick Willis grabbed a brace for the visitors before Jack Clarke and Jordan Richards struck for the Swifts, but it was Luke Phillips who bagged the winner much to the delight of his teammates and player manager Sam Southcott.

Swifts recently appointed James Russell as manager the former prolific scoring striker will know his team will quickly need to adapt and react following two disappointing home defeats in a row.

Monkton Swifts: T. Gullam, M. Carroll, S. Donohoe, G. Finnegan, J. Clarke, J. Wilkes, D. Davies, J. Richards, M. Blair, L. Davies, S. Meaney. Subs: R. Eynon, M. Jones, B. Nicholas.
Pennar Robins: R. Williams, N. Willis, S. Southcott, T. Grimwood, S. Edmundson, C. Roberts, C. Asparassa, K. Smith, L. Phillips, J. Davies, R. Lucas. Subs: N. Brunton, R. Jones, C. Griffiths.
Referee: Sion Jenkins.
Match Sponsor: Pisgah Coachworks.

High fives for in form Clarby

Narberth 0 – Clarbeston Road 5

Matthew Ellis - player manager scored for Clarbeston RoadClarbeston Road were too strong in every department for Narberth to cope with at Jesse Road.

This was the Bluebirds second successive home defeat, whilst Clarbeston Road player manager Matthew Ellis must have felt pleased that his team have won their opening two games without conceding a goal.

The Road led 2-0 at the interval thanks to former Welsh League star Steff Williams who found the back of the net in the 15th and 28th minutes.

After the break the visitors continued to dominate and were rewarded with three further goals with a brace by Jake Booth also player boss Ellis drilled in the fifth to secure all important three points.

Narberth: R. Hughes, A. Frearson, C. Phillips, D. Rooney, C. O’Connell, Y. Morgan, J. Marson, J. Layzell, T. Evans, L. Evans, R. Williams. Subs: L. Phillips, R. Chell.
Clarbeston Road: D. Pepper, J. Wood, T. Glover, M. Ellis, G. Brown, C. George, J. Booth, M. Davies, B. John, S. Thomas, S. Williams. Subs: D. Rees, L. George, M. Loveridge.
Referee: Gareth Elliott.

Karl Hedley - scored a terrific goal for Fishguard Sports


Terrific Hedley strike helps Sports bag points

St Ishmaels 0 – Fishguard Sports 3


For the second week in a row St Ishmaels suffered the taste of a home defeat as Fishguard Sports continued their good start to the season.

Manager Brian Kinsella’s Sports outfit led 1-0 at the break thanks to Greg Hughes who hit the target with an early goal.

Tish manager Gerrard Gray would have felt his team were still in the game at the interval stage, but six minutes after the break Jordan Raymond added the second.

In the 63rd minute the visitors put the result doubt when they got their third of the afternoon, Karl Hedley marked a fine game with the best strike of the day for the third and final goal.

St Ishmaels: A. Pawlett, T. Llewellin, K. Kendell, M. Evans, L. Clark, J. Morgan, A. Kingsbeer, T. Sheil, O. Lawrie, I. Hawkins, B. Devonald. Subs: T. Rackley, S. Goodall, E. Richards.
Fishguard Sports: D. Hopson, M. Lewis, W. Moore, G. Hughes, S. Thomas, P. Hughes, D. Hopkin, K. Hedley, K. Summers, J. Raymond, S. Lewis. Subs: I. Howells, I. Lilley.
Referee: Martin Jones

FAW Amateur Trophy Round 4

Dramatic late Ford winner breaks Vikings’ hearts

Monmouth Town 1 – Hakin United 0

Scott Davies - Hakin manager was proud of his teams epic cup runMonmouth Town super-sub Ashley Ford struck an 88th minute winner to break Hakin United hearts as they bowed out of the FAW Amateur Trophy at Plough Lane.

The Vikings have had a tremendous run in this competition, but sadly for Scott Davies’ brave team it came to an end as they just came up short despite putting on a gallant display.

The Kingfishers play in the Ardal Leagues South East, they were currently unbeaten as they came into this cup tie.

However, the Vikings showed no fear as they created the best of the chances in the first half, Ashley Bevan went close to scoring twice also Justin ‘Skinny’ Harding and Shane Walsh squandered chances.

In the 85th minute the Vikings had a controversial goal disallowed, Walsh and Laurie Haworth combined to set-up Bevan, the latter lashed the ball into the back of the net from 12 yards, but the linesman raised his flag for a contentious offside decision.

Following the Vikings understandable euphoria, it quickly turned to heartache as the Kingfishers quickly broke at the other end allowing Ford who pounced for a dramatic late winner.

Monmouth Town: T. Wood, L. Davies, L. Cleaves, K. Foryszwski, A. Davies, W. Wheeler, L. Jones, M. Palmer, J. Maksimovic, R. Atkinson, S. Parkes. Subs: C. Hicks, D. Palmer, S. Williams, A. Ford.
Hakin United: G. Fawcett, L. Luby, J. Merry, J. Power, G. Gardner, M. Broome, J. Harding, J. Chapman, A. Bevan, R. Wilson, S. Walsh. Subs: L. Haworth, A. Robertson, S. Davies, L. Broome.
Referee: Glyn Thomas.