Magical Wizards win West Wales Cup for first time as Hawkins strikes twice


West Wales Intermediate Cup Final:


Carew 1 - Merlins Bridge 3

Goal heroes Ashley Beck and Adam HawkinsAdam Hawkins struck twice for Merlins Bridge as they narrowly overcame Carew to win the West Wales Intermediate Cup for the first time at the Liberty Stadium.

Both teams also made history by becoming the first teams to play in an all Pembrokeshire final.

Hawkins opened the scoring, but the lead was short lived as Lloyd Hughes equalised to make it 1-1 at half time. On the hour mark the Wizards got on top as Hawkins struck his second and Ashley Beck added a late third to secure the silverware for the jubilant Wizards.

At the start defender Scott Richards’ back pass put Tom Davies under pressure, as the Rooks’ keeper scrambled back to concede a corner.

Joe Leahy curled a shot from distance which didn’t trouble Davies.

Carew should have opened the scoring in the fifth minute, Jordan Richards turned D’Ivry but dragged his shot agonisingly past the far post.

Wizards’ centre midfielder Dai Davies chopped down Shaun Whitfield and was issued the first yellow of the evening from referee Dean John.

Sam Christopher then broke down the left and squared the ball to Richards who side footed straight to Thomas, and his follow up to was thwarted by a brilliant intervention by Chris Ormond as he cleared off the line. Minutes later and Sam Christopher flicked a header that Thomas got down low to save.

The Wizards opened the scoring in the 14th minute, Laurie Haworth made good ground down the right and his pinpoint cross fell to Adam Hawkins who volleyed past Davies at the back post.

Then Lloyd Hughes skipped past Andrew John down the right and Ormond was caught out of position as he whipped a cross across the face of goal.

Iwan Izzard tried his luck from distance, but in the 22nd minute Carew finally equalised as Hughes controlled well on edge of area and drilled a low hard effort into the bottom corner.

It continued to be end to end as Jack Christopher picked up a yellow for taking out Leahy on the edge of the box. The striker hammered the resultant free kick against the Rooks’ wall for a corner.

Just before the break Lloyd Hughes looked as if he pulled a hamstring following an awkward challenge by Ormond and he was replaced by Scott Ferney.

Bridge had a good passage of play as Hawkins’ cross in the box fell to Nathan Greene who failed to control.
The Rooks though had a strong shout for a penalty as Richards’ shot struck Matthew D’Ivry on the shoulder.

Shortly after the break and Sam Christopher’s shot-cum-cross struck the near post and went behind.

Zac Rowell picked up a third yellow card as he simulated a dive inside the box, and there were few complaints with referee John right on the spot.

Tom Davies then pulled off a fine save to deny Greene who unleashed right footed from 20 yards out.

At the other end, Jack Christopher cleverly turned and crossed for Richards who headed straight at Thomas.

The Wizards were unlucky not to add a second when D’Ivry did well down the right wing and his cut back was met by Leahy who fired first time over the bar.
Runners up Carew

In the 63rd minute the Wizards got their noses in front, centre back Jack Christopher, who was carrying a leg injury, got dispossessed by Hawkins, and the winger ran through and placed his shot coolly past Davies.

Centre back Christopher was duly replaced by youngster Max Brindley.

The Rooks were unfortunate not to level matters as Sam Christopher squared to Iwan Izzard who struck a rising shot which Thomas saved brilliantly.

In the 73rd minute the Wizards made their first substitution when Peter Thomas replaced the industrious Dai Davies in centre midfield.

Will Haworth replaced two-goal hero Hawkins and for Carew, Tom Grover came on for Alex Bayley.

In the 82nd minute the Wizards added a third after a neat one two by Greene to Ashley Beck and the latter coolly lifted over Davies in the far corner to seal a famous win.

With a last throw of the dice from Carew Tom Grover hooked a close range shot from a corner way over.

Merlins Bridge player-manager D’Ivry said afterwards: "I'm overwhelmed to be honest.

"I thought we were the better team in the last 15 minutes of the first half so we were confident at the break.
"They had spells too and Gary made some great saves but everyone was fantastic for us. It has been a long season but we are delighted to get two trophies.”

Carew assistant manager Jeremy Griffiths added: “I’m gutted!

“We should have been at least 2-0 up in the opening minutes, we just couldn’t score after carving really decent chances.  We lost two semi-finals last year, this year we lost two finals, and next season it will be third time lucky.”

Carew: Tom Davies, Zac Rowell, Jack Christopher, (66’ Max Brindley), Scott Richards, Shaun Whitfield, Iwan Izzard (Captain), Ian Darbyshire (84’ James Hinchliffe), Lloyd Hughes (43’ Scott Ferney), Alex Bayley (76’ Tom Grover), Sam Christopher, Jordan Richards.
Sub not used: Haydn Shapcott.

Merlins Bridge: Gary Thomas, Matthew D’Ivry (88’ Gethin Roberts), Richard Hughes, Chris Ormond, Andrew John, Adam Hawkins (76’ Will Haworth), Ashley Beck, David Davies (73’ Peter Thomas), Laurie Haworth (82’ Jordan Thomas), Nathan Greene, Joe Leahy (93’ Leon Pemberthy).

Referee: Dean John.
Assistants: Luke Gregory & Jeff Moore.
Fourth Official: Viv Neddon.

West Wales Cup match officials