Hakin come from behind against Kilgetty to secure Senior Cup glory

Hakin United celebrate winning the Senior Cup 


Manderwood Pembrokeshire Football League – 2022 Senior Cup Final



Hakin United 3 – Kilgetty 1  


Man of the match Jack Britton with Manderwood director Chris TanseyHakin United came from behind to secure Senior Cup glory against determined Kilgetty United in front of a bumper crowd at the Bridge Meadow Stadium.

Previously Kilgetty have appeared in three cup finals in the 1970s, losing all of them against Merlins Bridge, this was their fourth, but unfortunately they suffered the same fate this time despite taking the lead against Hakin United.

The Vikings have now won twelve finals, and they are the club who have won the most finals in the history of the competition, much to the delight of their manager Scott Davies, who was happy man at the final whistle as his side bagged the silverware in a dogged affair.

The second division outfit took a shock lead as Henry Lawrence pounced with a volley, but six minutes before the break Jack Britton equalised so  it was evenly poised at 1-1 at half time. Shortly after the break Ashley Bevan struck to give The Vikings the lead. Eleven minutes from full time Justin ‘Skinny Harding came off the bench as he pounced for a crucial third.

The Vikings had the better of possession and chances early in the match, Shane Walsh headed over and fired a low shot wide: however it was Kilgetty who broke the deadlock.

Lawrence bags opener

Camron Thomas on charge for VikingsThe opening goal came in the 24th minute when Henry Lawrence struck a first-time volley in from eight yards, the goal was set up by an excellent cross from the right by 16-year-old Oscar Miles.

Hakin’s Jack Britton whipped in a free kick which was met by skipper Ashley Bevan’s header that keeper Ben Evans got a crucial touch for a corner. At the other end, the lively striker Lawrence flashed a low shot inches wide.

In the 39th minute the Vikings equalised as Leon Luby’s edge of the box shot was parried by Evans but man of the match midfielder Jack Britton reacted quickest as he buried the rebound.

Shortly after the break The Vikings had first sight at goal in the half as keeper Evans failed to gather a corner and the ball fell to defender Garin Gardner, who skied his effort high and wide. Minutes later Camron Thomas’ excellent free kick in the box fell perfectly for Shane Walsh, but  he put his header wide when really he should have scored.

Bevan scores to put Hakin in front

In the 54th minute the first division outfit took a 2-1 lead as skipper Bevan bundled the ball home from a Britton cross.

Minutes later Camron Thomas was replaced by Mark Jones, after the right back picked up a leg injury.

The Vikings nearly added a third as Bevan put through Walsh, but his goal-bound shot was palmed onto the woodwork by Evans who pulled off a brave save to deny Walsh once again.

Harding on target with crucial third

In the 79th minute the Vikings grabbed their third when Luby’s cross in the box fell to substitute Harding who got the vital scoring touch - and that’s how it finished.

Special praise for referee Craig Templeton who officiated with a calm authority and to his full credit kept the game flowing.

Jack Britton received the match ball from Chris Tansey, of sponsors Manderwood, for his man of the match midfield play and Hakin United skipper Ashley Bevan was presented with the coveted Senior Cup by Ceri Morgan, the chairman of the Pembrokeshire Football League.

Before the game both teams observed a minute’s silence for all former Pembrokeshire League footballers who have died.

Hakin goal scorers Ashley Bevan, Jack Britton, and Justin Harding

Hakin United: Sam Franklin, Jake Merry, Camron Thomas (59' Mark Jones), Garin Gardner, Matthew Broome, Craig Nicholson (64' Justin Harding), Shane Walsh (89' Gareth Fawcett), Jack Britton, Ashley Bevan (86' Ben Aldred), Ryan Wilson, Leon Luby (90' Brad Barrett).
Kilgetty: Ben Evans, Oscar Miles (87' Richard Tebbutt), Jake Proctor, Rhys Hewson (82' Tom Baker), Owain Coombs, Sam Lewis (90' Ross Hurst), Lloyd Hughes, Callum Proctor (86' John Mansbridge), Henry Lawrence (79' Oliver Griffiths), Josh Bevan (Captain), Richard Cope.
Referee: Craig Templeton.
Assistants: Angus Scourfield & Sion Jenkins.
Fourth Official: Tom Bevan.

Senior Cup match officials

Kilgetty AFC line before kick off