Football Reports - Division 1 - 25th September 2021 - by Gordon Thomas

Manderwood Pembrokeshire Football League – Division 1

Scott Ferney scored for Merlins Bridge against his former Carew teammates

Wizards return to winning ways against Rooks


Merlins Bridge 3 – Carew 1

After last week’s seven goal drubbing this week saw Merlins Bridge come out fighting as they gained a thoroughly deserved victory against Carew at the Racecourse.

The Wizards broke the deadlock in the eighth minute as Jordan Williams squeezed his shot past Tom Davies from an acute angle.

Midway through the second period the Wizards added a second goal as returning striker Adam Hawkins coolly slotted home.

The Rooks hit back through a well taken goal by Adam Muskett, but straight from the kick-off the Wizards worked the ball up field which led to former Carew striker Scott Ferney made no mistake from inside the box.

The second half didn’t live up to its first half billing, the best chance fell to Ferney, but the striker after cutting in from the right placed his side-footed effort wide.

Merlins Bridge: J. Dickson, A. John, H. Thomas, D. Davies, L. Pemberthy, R. George, J. Williams, L. Hudgell, S. Ferney, A. Hawkins, W. Haworth. Subs: F. Finlay, G. Roberts, C. Ormond.

Carew: T. Davies, G. Lewis, M. Brindley, D. Morgan, I. Izzard, S. Whitfield, A. Muskett, J. Williams, J. Hinchliffe, C. Hurlow, Z. Rowell. Subs: H. Shapcott, J. Harries.

Referee: Sean O’Connor.

Gareth Lewis puts in a strong tackle on Leon Pemberthy

Brown bags dramatic late winner for the Road


Clarbeston Road 4 – Monkton Swifts 3

Greg Brown grabbed an injury time winner for Clarbeston Road in a highly entertaining tussle at home against Monkton Swifts.

This game could have gone either way as goals came thick and fast, Jake Booth struck to give the hosts an early lead, but Dylan Davies and Josh Dearsley both scored to put the Swifts 2-1 ahead, just before the break Booth equalised for the Road.

Six minutes after the break and Davies added his second goal of the game which narrowly put the Swifts 3-2 in front.

However, a late fight back from Matt Ellis’ Road Clarby outfit saw them nick the points. Jason Griffiths, who returned to Clarby from Neyland in midweek, made no mistake from the spot to square matters at 3-3.

At the death, Brown dramatically bagged an injury time winner, before substitute Griffiths saw his second penalty attempt missed, but it made little difference to the Road who are currently sitting third in the table, having won three games from four starts.

Clarbeston Road: S. Edge, J. Wood, M. Griffiths, M. Ellis, G. Brown, C. George, J. Booth, J. Ward, B. John, S. Thomas, S. Williams. Subs: L. George, T. Glover, J. Griffiths.

Monkton Swifts: T. Gullam, R. Eyanon, G. Finnegan, M. Carroll, J. Dearsley, S. Donohoe, J. Clarke, J. Finnegan, D. Davies, J. Wilkes, J. Richards.
Subs: R. Davies, M. Blair, J. Russell.

Referee: Andrew Crawshay.

Greg Brown scored late winner For Clarbeston Road

Seymour Davies double sets up another win for unbeaten Sports


Sean Seymour Davies struck a brace for Fishguard SportsFishguard Sports 4 – Narberth 0

Sean Seymour Davies scored a terrific brace for Fishguard Sports who overcame struggling Narberth at Tregroes.

Sports manager Brian Kinsella will be delighted that his team’s excellent unbeaten start to the season continued as they are currently sitting second in the table on the same points as league leaders and close neighbours Goodwick United.

The Bluebirds put up a resistant first half, with Seymour Davies scoring the only goal of the first half.

In the second period the hosts began to turn the pressure into goals as Jordan Raymond was on target with the second, minutes later saw Seymour Davies on target with the third.

The fourth goal came curtesy of an own goal by luckless Narberth defender Callum Phillips.

Fishguard Sports: D. Hopson, S. Thomas, W. Moore, G. Hughes, N. Kinsella, P. Hughes, D. Hopkin, S. Seymour Davies, K. Summers, J. Raymond, I. Llewellyn. Subs: I. Howells, L. Thomas, K. Hedley.

Narberth: R. Hughes, C. Phillips, M. Jegham, L. Phillips, D. Davies, J. Howell, T. Evans, A. Taylor-Monaghan, J. Marson, R. Williams, R. Chell. Sub: R. Dyer.

Referee: Gareth Elliott.


Super sub Brunton’s brace seals first win for Hundleton


Hundleton 4 – St Ishmaels 2

Super sub Cameron Brunton scored two late goals to ensure Hundleton got their first win of the season at the expense of gritty St Ishmaels.

Both teams have gained promotion to the top flight and this clash was always going to be a tough one to call.

The hosts led 2-0 at half time, thanks to Connor Hay and Billy Davis who found the back of the net.

Tish came out in determined mood in the second period and were rewarded as Owen Lawrie and Ieuan Hawkins both scored to level matters for Gerrard Gray’s outfit.

The final twist of the match came late on as lively Hundleton substitute Brunton scored a terrific late brace to secure the points.

Hundleton: L Stewart, A. Lewis, W. Abrahams, J. Richards, G. Overend, D. Kitts, W. Davis, R. Griffiths, C. Hay, J. Blunsden, G. Lewis. Subs: C. Carroll, C. Manning, C. Brunton.

St Ishmaels: A. Pawlett, S. Goodall, T. Rackley, T. Llewellin, L. Clark, J. Morgan, A. Kingsbeer, E. Richards, O. Lawrie, I. Hawkins, B. Devonald. Subs: N. Thomas, J. Bate, T. Holmes.
Referee: Sion Jenkins.


Vikings rout poor Nomads


Justin Harding scored a first half hat-trick for VikingsNeyland 0 – Hakin United 10

A brilliant first half hat-trick by Justin ‘Skinny’ Harding set up the way for Hakin United’s ten-goal demolition over poor Neyland.

Scott Davies’ Vikings were too strong in every department for the Nomads to cope with, the visitors bagged five goals in each half as they totally dominated proceedings at the Athletic Ground.

Ryan Wilson opened the scoring on the 15-minute mark, a minute later and Harding adding the second from the penalty spot. 19 years old Jaden Chapman was on target with the third as on fire Harding banged in goals number four and five.

Shane Walsh was on target thirteen minutes after the interval for the sixth, substitute Laurie Haworth had only been on the pitch for two minutes as he drilled in the seventh.

Chapman got his second of the game for the eighth, two other subs completed the rout as Bradley Barrett added the ninth and Mark Jones struck a late tenth.

Neyland: P. Hannon, D. Rowland, J. Williams, W. Clewes, S. Hannon, A. Rees, M. Chandler, M. Phillips, L. Harding, L. Barrett, M. Bowman-Davies. Subs: J. Campbell, K. Arran, J. Campodonic.

Hakin United: S. Franklin, L. Luby, C. Thomas, J. Power, J. Merry, G. Gardner, J. Harding, J. Chapman, A. Bevan, R. Wilson, S. Walsh. Subs: L. Haworth, M. Jones, B. Barrett.

Referee: David Williams.

Stephen Dockerty on target with fourth goal. Picture Susan McKehon


Dalling is Goodwick’s hat-trick hero


Pennar Robins 0 – Goodwick United 5

Rhys Dalling scored a terrific hat-trick which helped league leaders Goodwick United maintain their unbeaten record against Pennar Robins at Bush Camp.

The only goal of a tight first half came in the 29th minute when Scott Crawford teed-up Dalling.
On the hour mark the visitors doubled the lead as Iestyn Evans set-up Nathan Green, in the 73rd minute Dalling banged in the third.

Two minutes later and Scott Delaney assisted for Stephen Dockerty’s neat finish for goal number four.
In 87th minute the visitors were awarded a penalty that Dalling duly despatched for the fifth and final goal.

Pennar Robins: G. Stewart, N. Willis, R. Jones, T. Grimwood, S. Edmundson, C. Roberts, C. Asparassa, K. Smith, L. Phillips, J. Davies, N. Davison. Subs: J. Phillips, S. Southcott, C. Rees.

Goodwick United: K. Marsh, I. Evans, S. O’Sullivan, J. Thomas, S. Delaney, S. Dockerty, R. Dalling, L. Hayward, N. Greene, D. James, S. Crawford. Subs: K. O’Brien, S. Hayes, J. Griffiths.
Referee: Paul Rooney.

Goodwick hat-trick hero Rhys Dalling