Football Division 1 Reports - 30th October 2021

Manderwood Pembrokeshire Football League – Division 1


Jordan Griffiths - scored twice for league leaders Goodwick against Hakin


Jordan’s crucial double sinks battling Vikings

Goodwick United 2 – Hakin United 1


Jordan Griffiths bagged a brace to ensure Goodwick United narrowly beat champions Hakin United at Phoenix Park.

Obviously, this game was billed ‘match of the day’ - it was the Phoenix Lads who won and gained the valuable points.

At start of season Scott Davies’ Vikings knocked Goodwick out of the FAW Trophy, but this time it was Wayne O’Sullivan’s men who came out on top in this hard-fought tussle to incredibly march eleven points clear at the top of the table at this early stage of the season.

Fortuitous start

The hosts got off to a fortuitous start when Kieran O’Brien was bundled over just outside the Vikings’ box, Griffiths took responsibility and from the resultant free kick his effort took a massive deflection off the Hakin wall and flew into the far corner.

However, the Vikings squandered two decent scoring chances as they tried to get back on level terms, firstly, keeper Kyle Marsh pulled off a stunning save to deny Laurie Haworth from point blank range. Secondly, Jack Britton tried an audacious back heel from six yards which was cleared.

Superb strike

Five minutes after the break the hosts doubled the lead with a goal which would lay claim for ‘goal of the season’. Griffiths picked the ball up from at least 30 yards out, he looked up and struck a wicked shot which flew into the top corner.

Full credit to the Vikings who refused to throw in the towel, and they were rewarded for their endeavour in the 85th minute when goalkeeper Gareth Fawcett rifled a shot at the far post home from a corner which gave the Vikings a glimmer of hope.

Great save by Marsh

Right at the death the Vikings were unlucky not to level matters when Haworth struck a goal bound shot from six yards which had goal written all over it, but incredibly Marsh stopped the effort at full stretch, his brilliant saved ensured the Phoenix Lads claimed the all-important victory.

Goodwick United: K. Marsh, S. Hayes, S. O’Sullivan, I. Evans, S. Delaney, L. Hayward, R. Dalling, K. O’Brien, N. Greene, J. Griffiths, S. Dockerty. Subs: D. James, J. Horgan, J. Bryan.
Hakin United: G. Fawcett, L. Luby, C. Thomas, M. Jones, J. Merry, C. Nicholson, J. Harding, J. Britton, A. Bevan, R. Wilson, L. Haworth. Subs: J. Chapman, B. Aldred, S. Walsh.
Referee: Neil Crawford.

Laurie Haworth - denied twice by superb saves by Kyle Marsh

Scott Ferney - Bridge hat-trick hero

Ferney treble inspires Wizrds to victory


Fishguard Sports 3 – Merlins Bridge 6

Scott Ferney’s terrific hat-trick inspired Merlins Bridge to victory at Fishguard Sports.

Gareth ‘Taffy’ Williams Wizards were happy to return to winning ways in a highly entertaining high scoring affair at Tregroes.

In the eighth minute the Sports took the lead as Sean Seymour Davies slotted past James Dickson.

The visitors had a couple of efforts disallowed but they did hit back with goals from Will Haworth and Ferney to lead 2-1 at the interval.

Shortly after the break Josh Silk was on target with the Wizards’ third before Niall Kinsella reduced the deficit as he struck from the spot.

In the 65th minute Ferney added his side’s fourth and three minutes later Jake Smith put the Wizards 5-2 ahead.

Kinsella struck the Sports’ third then the same man missed a penalty – but it was left to Ferney to grab his side’s six to complete the scoring.

Fishguard Sports: D. Hopson, M. Lewis, W. Moore, A. Couzens, N. Kinsella, O. Hughes, D. Hopkin, Sean Seymour-Davies, K. Hedley, J. Raymond, S. Lewis. Subs: K. Summers, I. Llewellyn, I. Lilley.
Merlins Bridge: J. Dickson, C. Ormond, C. Brown, A. John, J. Silk, J. Williams, B. Davies, J. Smith, S. Ferney, W. Haworth, F. Finlay. Subs: L. Davies, N. Thomas, J. Haworth.
Referee: Gareth Elliott.

Jordan Williams - looks to attack for the Wizards

Magnificent seven from the Road


Clarbeston Road 7 – Neyland 3

Third in the table Clarbeston Road proved too strong for third from bottom Neyland.

The hosts led 3-1 at half times, Jason Griffiths scored an early goal for Clarby against his former teammates, Steff Williams was on target with the second, Sean Hannon pulled one back for the Nomads before Ban John struck to give his team a 3-1 cushion at the break.

The Road completely dominated the opening 20 minutes of the second period as Jake Booth, Williams, John, and Sean Chandler put the Road 7-1 ahead.

To their credit the Nomads bagged two late goals through Joseph Campodonic and Andrew Kemp.

Clarbeston Road: D. Pepper, J. Wood, M. Griffiths, M. Ellis, T. Glover, C. George, J. Booth, M. Davies, B. John, S. Williams. Subs: J. Thomas, S. Chandler, R. Gibson.
Neyland: J. Payne, D. Rowland, W. Clewes, S. Hannon, A. Kemp, S. Ellis, L. Barrett, J. Johnstone, M. Bowman-Davies, M. Chandler, A. Rees. Subs: L. Rees, J. Campodonic, A. Smith.
Referee: Jonathan Twigg.

Iwan Izzard - scored opener for Carew. Picture Susan McKehon

Excellent win for Carew at Monkton


Monkton Swifts 1 – Carew 3

An excellent second half display saw Carew pick up an excellent victory against Monkton Swifts at Monkton Lane.

Games between these arch rivals are always keenly contested and this was no exception.

In the 16th minute the visitors got their noses in front when Iwan Izzard opened the scoring, but just before the break Jamie Wilkes equalised.

However, the second period saw the Rooks begin to get on top and they were rewarded in the 71st minute when Spencer Williams added his side’s second.

A few minutes later saw the Rooks grab a crucial third goal and it was credited to James Hinchliffe; the substitute had only been on the pitch a few minutes before he made quite an impact.

Monkton Swifts: T. Gullam, R. Davies, G. Finnegan, J. Richards, J. Seaton, P. Miller, C. Richards, J. Clarke, D. Davies, J. Wilkes, J. Richards. Subs: S. Meaney, J. Finnegan, T. Powell.
Carew: T. Davies, J. Knox, H. Shapcott, G. Lewis, I. Izzard, J. Christopher, A. Muskett, J. Williams, C. Hurlow, S. Whitfield, S. Richards. Subs: D. Morgan, J. Hinchliffe.
Referee: Martin Jones.

Monkton keeper Tom Gullam is strong at a corner. Picture Susan McKehon

Craig Asparassa wins the ball in midfield for Pennar. Picture Susan McKehon

Robins hit poor Tish for six!


Pennar Robins 6 – St Ishmaels 1

Pennar Robins came from behind to convincingly defeat St Ishmaels at Bush Camp.

Tish is currently sitting second from bottom in the table awaiting their first points, whilst Pennar picked up their third win and sit sixth in the table.

Tish got off to a dream start as Joel Morgan struck the opener, but the Robins equalised through Tom Grimwood plus Sean Edmundson also scored to put his side 2-1 ahead at half time.

After the break was totally one-way traffic as Tom Grimwood and Craig Asparassa added further goals also Conner Willis made an impact as the substitute claimed a brace.

Pennar Robins: R. Williams, N. Brunton, S. Southcott, R. Jones, T. Grimwood, S. Edmundson, C. Asparassa, K. Smith, L. Phillips, J. Davies, C. Roberts. Subs: C. Willis, N. Davison, R. Walters.
St Ishmaels: C. Garton, S. Goodall, T. Llewellin, G. Gray, J. Morgan, A. Kinsbeer, D. Ninnis, O. Lawrie, I. Hawkins, N. Thomas, B. Devonald. Subs: K. Rendell, E. Richards, L. Clark.
Referee: Sion Jenkins.

Thomas Grimwood scored a brace for Pennar. Picture Susan McKehon

Narberth v Hundleton - postponed