Football - Division 1 and West Wales Cup Reports - 12th December 2021

Manderwood Pembrokeshire Football League – Division 1


Aldred’s late winner cruelly denies battling Clarby


Hakin United 3 – Clarbeston Road 2

Ben Aldred scored a late brace to pinch Hakin United the points against Clarby RoadBen Aldred scored a stoppage time winner to secure champions Hakin United a hard-fought victory against luckless Clarbeston Road at the Obs.

Late in the game Scott Davies’ Viking narrowly trailed 2-1, but a late brace from Aldred saved the day.
In the tenth minute The Vikings opened the scoring as Shane Walsh got on the end of Camron Thomas’ cross.

Full credit to Matthew Ellis’ Road outfit they continued to press and put the hosts under pressure, they were rewarded when Ben John profited from Ellis’ intelligent ball to square matters.

In the 27th minute John was on target with the visitors’ second to give his side a slender 2-1 cushion at half time.

On the hour mark Matthew Davies missed a crucial penalty, had he scored it would have put his side 3-1 ahead, that miss would come back to haunt The Road.

Late in the game with The Vikings pushing everything at the visitors saw Aldred get on the end of Thomas’ cross to level matters.

With virtually the last touch in the game The Vikings pinched victory as star man Aldred got on the end of Leon Luby’s cross to score, but more importantly nick the points.

Hakin United: S. Franklin, L. Luby, C. Thomas, M. Jones, B. Aldred, C. Nicholson, J. Harding, J. Britton, S. Walsh, R. Wilson, J. Chapman. Subs: J. Merry, B. Barrett, L. Broome.

Clarbeston Road: D. Pepper, L. George, J. Wood, M. Ellis, M. Griffiths, G. Brown, M. Griffiths, J. Booth, C. George, B. John, M. Davies. Subs: S. Williams, S. Thomas, S. Chandler.

Referee: Craig Templeton.

Hundleton thrashed Neyland to move up to fourth in the table


Hundleton are too hot for Nomads


Hundleton 8 – Neyland 3

Hundleton gained a convincing victory against second from bottom Neyland.

This was Hundleton’s fifth win of the season which moved them up to fourth in the league table.

The hosts led 5-2 at half time, Billy Davis and Cameron Brunton scored to give their side a good start, but the Nomads reduced the deficit through Max Bowman-Davies.

Brunton netted the third, Davis was on target with fourth, Will Clewes scored an own goal for the fifth.

Liam Rees and Bowman-Davies pulled two goals back for the Nomads, Davis added the sixth for his hat-trick, plus Charlie Perkins scored two further goals to complete the scoring.

Hundleton: B. Fienhage, D. Powers, W. Abrahams, R. Griffiths, A. Lewis, D. Kitts, W. Davis, R. Davis, J. Buckle, C. Brunton, C. Perkins. Subs: G. Lewis, J. Blunsden, J. Richards.

Neyland: J. Payne, D. Rowland, J. Charlton, A. Kemp, S. Hannon, M. Phillips, L. Rees, M. Chandler, M. Bowman-Davies, P. Hannon, J. Johnstone. Subs: W. Clewes, L. Barrett, A. Smith.

Referee: Paul Rooney.

Goodwick striker Nathan Greene bagged a hat-trick for league leaders Goodwick United


Phoenix Lads thrash poor Tish


St Ishmaels 1 – Goodwick United 10

League leaders Goodwick United grabbed five goals in each half to gain a convincing victory at St Ishmaels.
Last week Wayne O’ Sullivan’s Goodwick outfit lost 1-0 at home against South Gower to bow out of the West Wales Intermediate Cup.

This week the Phoenix Lads quickly returned to winning ways with an emphatic display. 

The visitors took the lead in the first minute as Nathan Greene found the back of the net, five minutes later Tish reacted when Joel Morgan equalised.

That’s as good as it got for Gerrard Gray’s Tish troops as they were completely overran by the visitors for the remainder.

Dan James, Greene, Jordan Thomas, also Rhys Dalling all scored to give their side a 5-1 half time lead.

In the second half it was completely one way traffic with further goals going in at regular intervals, Jordan Griffiths, Jordan Thomas (second of game), Kieran O’Brien, Greene (hat-trick) and substitute Jonny Horgan all scored.

St Ishmaels: A. Pawlett, T. Llewellin, J. Morgan, A. Kingsbeer, T. Sheil, O. Lawrie, I. Hawkins, E. Richards, N. Thomas, D. Ninnis, B. Devonald. Subs: S. Goodall, J. Beer, G. Gray.

Goodwick United:  K. Marsh, L. Tobin, I. Evans, J. Thomas, S. Delaney, L. Hayward, R. Dalling, K. O’Brien, N. Greene, D. James. Subs: S. Hayes, J. Horgan, S. Dockerty.

Referee: Martin Jones.


Games off


Monkton Swifts v Narberth - postponed
Carew v Pennar Robins 0 - postponed


West Wales Intermediate Cup – Round 3


Sports agonisingly lose out in five-goal thriller


Fishguard Sports 2 – AFC Glais 3

Niall Kinsella - scored twice for Fishguard SportsFishguard Sports narrowly lost out in a five-goal thriller against AFC Glais to bow out of the West Wales Intermediate Cup at Tregroes.

Glais are currently top and unbeaten in the Neath League division 1 with an impressive nine wins and a draw.

The visitors opened the scoring when Keelan Robb-Greggory struck, midway through the first period The Sports equalised when Niall Kinsella scored from the spot.

Ten minutes after the interval the hosts took the lead when Kinsella scored his second goal of the tie, again it was a penalty.

In the 72nd minute Glais equalised when Ross Attwell set-up substitute Richard Greggory, two minutes later the visitors grabbed the decisive winner when goal scorer Greggory played in Sam Ash, there was no dramatic finish as the Neath outfit will now go into the hat for the next round.

Fishguard Sports: P. Hughes, M. Lewis, W. Moore, J. Gethin, N. Kinsella, S. Thomas, D. Hopkin, S. Seymour-Davies, I. Llewellyn, J. Raymond, S. Lewis. Subs: T. Lawrence, S. Morgan-Davies, H. Hughes.

AFC Glais: F. Lisczyk, A. James, J. Rees, L. Bowles, T. Blake, R. Attwell, S. Ash, C. Gibbons, K. Robb-Gregory, M. Hancock, B. Toulcher. Subs: R. Gregory, L. Pritchard, E. Wheel, C. Bowles.

Referee: Stephen Blowes.

Merlins Bridge midfielder Dai Davies battles for the ball against Ynystawe Athletic

Ten-man Wizards crash out of cup


Merlins Bridge 0 – Ynystawe Athletic 4

Ten-man Merlins Bridge crashed out of the West Wales Intermediate Cup at the expense of the impressive Ynystawe Athletic at the Racecourse.

The Wizards won the competition back in 2019, that was the last time the competition was completed.
Ynystawe Athletic are currently top of the Swansea League division one, they have only lost twice in nine starts.

Rory Smitham scored the only goal of the first half, after the break the visitors scored a further two goals through Rees Harris and Chris Hole, taking a 3-0 cushion.

Matters got worse for Gareth ‘Taffy’ Williams’ Wizards when centre back Richard Hughes received his marching orders.

The visitors put the result beyond doubt when substitute Ethan Parry netted his side’s fourth.

Merlins Bridge: J. Dickson, C. Ormond, A. John, R. Hughes, H. Thomas, D. Davies, J. Williams, L. Hudgell, S. Ferney, B. Davies, W. Haworth. Subs: L. Davies, R. Doyle, J. Silk, J. Haworth, P. Thomas.

Ynystawe Athletic: R. Mansell, N. Osborne, R. Evans, T. Lloyd, C. Howard, A. Morgan, J. Beer, C. Hole, C. Coughlin, R. Smitham, R. Harris. Subs: K. Evans, H. Smale, E. Parry, T. John.

Referee: David Alder.

Bridge wide sided midfielder Will Haworth is put off balance