Football - Division 1 and cup reports - Saturday, 13th November 2021

Ben John scored twice for Clarbeston Road 

Ferney is spot-on to rescue a point for Wizards


Merlins Bridge 3 – Clarbeston Road 3

Scott Ferney scored an 85th minute penalty to salvage a point for Merlins Bridge against a fired up Clarbeston Road at the Racecourse.

This result sees Clarbeston Road move up t second in the table whilst the Wizards are in unfamiliar territory in in seventh spot.

This was a highly entertaining clash well refereed by Craig Templeton at the Racecourse.

The Road got off to a flier as Jason Griffiths capitalised on James Dickson’s spill, the striker making no mistake from close range.

In the 26th minute the visitors continued to look dangerous when Griffiths’ co striker Ben John drilled a low effort in the far corner.

Six minutes later John bagged his second of the game which put the visitors 3-0 ahead, but the Wizards mounted a fight back, in the 38th minute Jake Smith hit the back of the net also Jordan Williams found the target as the hosts narrowly trailed 2-3 at the interval.

After the break the game became cagier, it looked as if the Road were going to hold out for a rare win against their close neighbours, but five minutes from the end the visitors were awarded a penalty which Ferney coolly placed past Pepper to secure a draw when minutes earlier a loss was on the cards.

Merlins Bridge: J. Dickson, H. Thomas, F. Finlay, J. Silk, L. Palmer, J. Williams, W. Haworth, B. Davies, S. Ferney, A. Hawkins, J. Smith. Subs: H. Goddard, C. Brown, F. Picton.

Clarbeston Road: D. Pepper, J. Wood, L. George, M. Ellis, T. Glover, C. George, J. Booth, G. Brown, B. John, J. Griffiths, R. Thomas. Subs: J. Thomas, S. Chandler, I. Mathias.

Referee: Craig Templeton.

Scott Ferney scored a late penalty for Merlins Bridge to earn his side a draw against Clarbeston Road.


Quick at the draw in Hundleton


Hundleton 2 – Fishguard Sports 2

Twice Hundleton came from behind to secure a hard-fought draw with Fishguard Sports at home.

Following this draw it sees Fishguard Sports who sit in third in the table as the hosts are in sixth.

The visitors broke the deadlock in the eighth minute when in form striker Sean Seymour-Davies drilled home.

In the 19th minute the hosts equalised when Danny Powers set-up Cameron Brunton who finished confidently past Dean Hopson.

Sports’ skipper Stephen Lewis restored the visitors lead with a neatly taken finish which gave the visitors a slender 2-1 cushion at the break.

Shortly after the interval Hundleton equalised through Bill Davis and incredibly there was no further scoring.
Hundleton: D. Griffiths, D. Powers, G. Lewis, R. Griffiths, M. Edwards, D. Kitts, W. Davis, R. Davis, C. Hay, C. Brunton, C. Perkins. Subs: A. Lewis, J. Buckle, W. Abrahams.

Fishguard Sports: D. Hopson, J. Gethin, W. Moore, A. Couzens, N. Kinsella, P. Hughes, D. Hopkin, S. Seymour-Davies, I. Llewellyn, S. Thomas, S. Lewis. Subs: C. Worrall, I. Lilley, L. Thomas.

Referee: Gareth Elliott.

Goodwick give it high fives at Neyland


Neyland 0 – Goodwick United 5

Runaway league leaders Goodwick United maintained their impressive unbeaten run intact with a comfortable five-goal salvo against battling Neyland at the Athletic Ground.

The Phoenix Lads beat the Nomads comfortably at Phoenix Park earlier in the season and have followed up with another win which has given them the double over their opponents.

Shortly before the half time Nomads’ defender Andrew Kemp got on the wrong end of a cross to give the visitors a narrow 1-0 lead.

Four minutes after half time Jordan Griffiths got the end of Rhys Dalling’s pass as he calmly slotted past Patrick Hannon for the second.

Dalling added the third from the spot then Dan James, who had just come on made no mistake for goal number four when he was neatly teed-up by Kieran O’Brien.

On the stroke of full time, substitute Rob Morgans rifled home the fifth goal ensured Wayne O’Sullivan’s men kept another clean sheet as they continue to march towards the title.

Neyland: P. Hannon, W. Clewes, S. Hannon, A. Kemp, S. Ellis, M. Phillips, J. Watts, N. Morrison, M. Chandler, J. Johnstone., A. Rees. Subs: Z. Nicholls, P. Hannon.

Goodwick United: K. Marsh, S. Hayes, S. O’Sullivan, J. Thomas, L. Tobin, L. Hayward, R. Dalling, K. O’Brien, N. Greene, J. Griffiths, S. Dockerty. Subs: D. James, R. Morgans, J. Bryan.

Referee: Martin Jones.

Senior Cup – Round 2


Christopher treble helps Rooks ease into next round


Carew 7 – Lawrenny 2

Division one Carew had too much fire power for division three Lawrenny as Sam Christopher starred with a brilliant hat-trick to ensure his side are in the hat for the next round.

Rob Scourfield’s Rooks went behind when Ben James drilled past Tom Davies for the opener, however it was short lived as Iwan Izzard equalised for the division one outfit.

The hosts then controlled matters as they scored goals at regular intervals. Christopher was on target with the second and third goals, James Hinchliffe bagged the fourth, Christopher completed his hat-trick with goal number five.

Adam Muskett made no mistake from the penalty spot for the sixth, plus Shaun Whitfield added the seventh, James Gorman scored a consolation second goal for the visitors.

Carew: T. Davies, H. Shapcott, S. Richards, G. Lewis, M. Brindley, I. Izzard, S. Christopher, A. Muskett, J. Hinchliffe, S. Whitfield, Z. Rowell. Subs: J. Knox, D. Morgan, A, Smith, A. Bayley.

Lawrenny: D. Harries, P. Hodge, J. Durbridge, O. James, R. Morton, M. Lewis, E. Laidlaw, B. Adams, T. Cole, E. Merriman, J. Phillips. Subs: M. Kidney, J. Gorman, P. Elliot.

Referee: David Badger.

Sam Christopher scored an excellent hat-trick for Carew against Lawrenny. Picture by Susan McKehon

West Wales Intermediate Cup – Round 2


Superb Walsh second-half hat-trick inspires Vikings to cup win


Clase Social 1 – Hakin United 4

Hakin United progressed in the West Wales Intermediate Cup after they came from behind to secure a thoroughly deserved away victory against Swansea Senior League Division two outfit Clase Social.

Scott Davies’ Vikings found themselves 1-0 down adrift at half time, Clase Social striker Gareth Phillips pounced near the end of the first period.

However, the Vikings rolled up their sleeves in the second half as they controlled matters possession and territory plus they created plenty of chances.

Man of the match Shane Walsh bagged an excellent second half hat-trick for the Vikings also vastly experienced Ashley Bevan came off the bench to also find the back of the net which sealed another impressive away win in the cup for the Vikings.

Clase Social: J. Harding, D. John, B. Miles, N. Foley, C. Allen, D. Cooze, C. Edwards, J. Williams, G. Phillips, N. Williams, D. Richards. Subs: R. Nichols, C. Cook, S. Jenkins, D. Begley.

Hakin United: A. Devonald, L. Luby, C. Thomas, J. Power, J. Merry, M. Jones, J. Harding, C. Nicholson, B. Aldred, R. Wilson, S. Walsh. Subs: J. Chapman, A. Bevan, A. Robertson, A. Howard, G. Fawcett.

Referee: Joel Matthews.