Bevan goal seals Clarbie cup victory

Winners - Clarbeston Road 2nds


Third Division Cup Final:


Clarbeston Road 2nds 1 - Goodwick United 2nds 0

Venue: The Bridge Meadow Stadium
Referee: Steve Williams
Assistants: Stefan Jenkins and Keith McNiffe
Fourth Official: Jonathan Twigg
A Richie Bevan goal three minutes from half time was enough to earn Clarbeston Road 2nds victory over their counterparts from Goodwick in front of a decent crowd in the final match of the season at the Bridge Meadow Stadium.
But in truth the margin might have been much wider as Clarbie ruled the midfield roost, especially in the second half, and Bevan’s pace was always going to pose problems – and if there had been a man of the match award it might well have gone to Goodwick keeper Dean Hopson for a series of good saves he made throughout.
Goodwick had lost first team manager Wayne O’Sullivan after only 14 minutes with a groin pull and from then on Bevan’s pace alongside Steve Morris and Ben Clague proved decisive as Clarbie’s first team boss Matthew Ellis and Harry Jones proved decisive.

Bevan exerts his influence

He served notice with a couple of runs from useful cross-field passed but was denied by last-ditch tackles from Anthony Cole and Iwan James alongside Hopson’s – but all that changed 42 minutes into the game when Bevan finally found his touch and after holding off a would-be tackler, he slid the ball low into the net.
At the other end, Chris O’Sullivan had combined with his nephew Alex in one promising Goodwick move which came to nothing and Matthew Bowen pushed forward for a corner but his second-ball volley was pouched by Lee Scott as he wasn’t deceived by an awkward bounce.

Second half followed a similar pattern

The second half followed a similar pattern as Bevan’s lob flew high over the bar and at the other end Goodwick had their best chance when Gary Delaney created space for himself but Scott was on hand to make the save.
When Clarbie introduced Archie Thomas into their midfield he quickly made an impact and he had a shot saved my Hopson and used the power that sees him also play rugby to good effect at Haverfordwest – but with just a goal lead there was always a threat that Goodwick might claw their way back and out of the blue it was Jack Griffiths who popped up to force a good save from Scott.
Matthew Ellis had an excellent free kick turned spectacularly over the bar by Hopson but Clarbie were still ahead when referee Steve Williams, who had a good game, blew for full time and manager Matthew Brown’s team celebrated in style, whilst Goodwick could only take consolation from the fact that they had given it their best shot but came up short on the night.
Clarbeston Road:  Lee Scott, Lewis James; Matthew Griffiths; Matthew Bowen; Sami Hurton: Harry Jones; Jacques Montague; Matthew Ellis: Ben Clague Steve Morris; Richard Bevan. Substitutes: Emyr Griffiths; Jack Wood; Archie Thomas; Aaron Ormond-Ruloff; Alex Clancy.

Goodwick United: Dean Hopson: Josh Wellan; Wayne O’Sullivan; Anthony Cole; Iwan James: Darren Devonald; Gary Delaney; Jac Pepper: Jack Griffiths; Chris O’Sullivan; Alex O’Sullivan. Substitutes:  Kial Keane; Ioan Lewis; Karl Davies; Matthew Lewis; James Wade.

Runners-up - Goodwick United 2nds

Match officials, Jonathan Twigg, Keith McNiffe, Steve Williams and Stefan Jenkins