Rugby Scores and Scorers for Saturday, 22nd February 2020

Good Narberth defence


Championship Division:


Ianto’s last-ditch kick seals Otters’ victory


Narberth 20 - Cross Keys 19

A penalty scored under intensive pressure from literally the last kick of the match by outside half Ianto Griffiths gave Narberth a dramatic one-point victory over former top-class club Cross Keys – and even the most ardent of Narberth’s hardy band of supporters would have to say it really was their ‘Get out of jail’ card because for much of the match it was the visitors who ruled the roost.

The visitors used the strong wind in the first half to hold a 19-7 interval lead but The Otters reduced that deficit almost straight after the oranges when Griffiths landed a penalty from half way.

Late comeback had Otter fans’ in raptures!

But from there until the 76th minute Cross Keys used their well-organised and disciplined pack to prevent Narberth from ever really challenging in attack so that a visitors’ win seemed a certainty.

But then a superb catch by talented young full back Llew Jones helped establish a late platform from which Jake Jenkins ran out of defence – and support – until Tom Powell, Roy Osborn and Alex Jenkins set up a strong drive and winger Daf Pritchard maintained his good try-scoring form to cross the whitewash and get close enough to the posts for Griffiths to convert.

Suddenly The Otters were just two points adrift and a huge downfield punt by replacement Jonathan Rogers set up a burst by centre Josh Davies, only for Cross Keys to be awarded a penalty which they kicked to touch on their own 22.

They seemed safe as O-Brien sent the ball into touch but from the ensuing line-out they conceded a penalty – and Griffiths coolly slotted the ball between the sticks for victory.


Disappointing start for Narberth

With the wind at their backs in the first half Cross Keys benefited from a careless kick off to the match which went straight into touch – and for the next five minutes they pounded The Otters’ line until centre Corey Nicholls crossed in the corner and O’Brien did well to add the extras.

Narberth did show character as they used the drive of Tom Slater, Rhodri Owens, Bard Davies and Steff Phillips to establish a rare attack from which Griffiths kicked a penalty to the corner, Alex Jenkins won the line-out and scrum half Rhys lane’s flat pass allowed Jake Jenkins to judge his angle perfectly and raced to the posts for Griffiths to convert.

But Cross keys held the edge for the rest of the half, prompted by half backs Rhys Meredith and O’Brien, ably assisted by great ball retention from winger Dan Hitchings and the front row of Owen Peddle, Zac Hewlett and Jordan Rogers.

They added two further tries via winger Hitchings and No 10 O’Brien; the latter converted from in front of the posts.

The vital winning three points

Visitors remain in control after an early second-half set-back

It was felt that a 12-point deficit was within Narberth’s scope but after that early three-pointer they seemed to lose their way and Cross Keys had big performances from locks Scott Andrews and skipper Tom Lampard, aided by Chris Johnsey, Gwion Jones and Joe Thomas.

Indeed, Cross Keys looked to have scored a try in the clubhouse corner but their touch-judge sportingly raised his flag for a foot on the touch-line.

Then came those dramatic final moments when The Otters showed their battling spirit to snatch victory out of the fire – and so small wonder that coach Sean Gale was delighted afterwards for a win that even he must have thought unlikely with four minutes left!

*Before the match there was a minute’s silence for three Narberth stalwarts in Bill Phillips, a former club captain, Glyn Williams, from Folly Farm, and Ralph Jones.

*The Narberth club’s committee had also agreed to show solidarity for Cross keys’ plight with regard to their flooded pitch and so a bucket collection was made at the interval and presented by Otters’ chairman Dorian Phillips to Cross Keys’ Hon Treasurer Sophie Wilkins after the match.

Narberth: Llew Jones: Daf Pritchard; Josh Davies; Jake Jenkins; Ashley Sutton: Ianto Griffiths; Rhys Lane: Bradley Davies; Rhodri Owens; Tom Slater: Jake Baker; Alex Jenkins: Richie Rees (Capt); Tom Powell; Steff Phillips. Replacements: Lewys Gibby; Dan Smith; Roy Osborn; Jonathan Rogers, Adam Thomas.

Cross Keys: Curtis Povey: Dan Hitchings; Adam Tetley; Corey Nicholls; Alex Upton: Loui O’Brien; Rhys Meredith: Owen Peddle; Zac Hewlett; Jordan Richards: Tom Lampard (Capt); Scott Andrews: Chris Johnsey; Joe Thomas; Gwion Jones. Replacements: Connor Vaughan; Chris John; Callum Hague; Lewis Allwood; Zach Bartlett.

Referee: Jason Bessant.

Narberth chairman Dorian Phillips presents the collection cash to Cross Keys Sophie Wilkins


Division One (West):


Borderers beaten by Hendy in close contest


Yr Hendy 20 - Whitland 15

Gino Setaro - try for Whitland centre as they go down against Yr HendyYr Hendy and Whitland defied difficult conditions to put on a close contest in Llanelli on Friday night - with the home team edging it.

The Borderers trailed 15-10 at half time with all their points coming from the Setaro cousins.

Centre Gino crossed over when from a scrum, No 8 Jack Mason picked up and linked with flanker James Thomas, and his burst into the 22 set up the chance for Setaro to score.

Nico converted and added a penalty

It was Nico who also claimed a second-half try, but the visitors failed to finish off several line breaks as chances went begging.

And Yr Hendy proved more clinical as Alex Williams and Aled Thomas crossed for tries, and the reliable Rhydian Morris landed both conversions and two penalties.

"I'm disappointed but their defence was very good, especially first half," said Whitland head coach Gareth Bennett.

"We showed some good glimpses in attack and made enough line breaks but couldn’t finish them off.

"But it's Aberystwyth at home next week so we'll move onto that."

Whitland: Geraint Jones, Olly Hughes, Gino Setaro, James Stephenson, Jonathan Thomas, Nico Setaro, Jac Howells, Aaron Mayne, Marc Jones, Michael Ryan, Raff Williams, Courtney Bowman, Jamie Lewis, James Lewis, Jack Mason. Replacements: Tom Finucane, Tomos Evans Benji Kirk, Llyr Ebsworth, Dan Evans.


Division Two (West):


Seasiders stumble late on


Mumbles 13 - Tenby United 9

Lloyd Thomas - three penalties in Tenby defeatTenby head coach Jonathan Evans rued ‘another game that got away’ as The Seasiders were narrowly beaten away to promotion-chasing Mumbles.

The visitors led 6-3 at half time through two penalties from No 10 Lloyd Thomas, while opposite number Alan Evans landed one for Mumbles.

Evans landed three points early in the second period to level the scores, and then Tenby had Thomas sin-binned for killing the ball near his own line but managed to survive the spell of pressure.

And with 14 men they went ahead as No 9 Matthew Morgan kicked a penalty, but with 20 minutes left the Swansea side struck the decisive blow when No 8 Lewis Buckley crashed over and Evans converted.

Tenby had their chances to re-take the lead as Yannic Parker carried well in midfield and the front row of Geoff Martin, Jim Brace, and Rob Luly dominated the scrum, but they were unable to get the score they needed.

Tenby United: Joe Owen, Jack Gooding, Yannic Parker, Andrew Cooke, Adam Quill, Lloyd Thomas, Matthew Morgan, Geoff Martin, Jim Brace, Rob Luly, Ben James, Luke Dedman (capt), Mike Davis, Ryan Jeremias, Harry Bolton. Replacements: Ethan Morgan, Dan Allen, Callum Serefini, Jimmy Davies, Oakley Milton.

 Pembroke on the charge


Pembrokeshire Knock Out Cup:


Scarlets delighted with semi-final spot


Pembroke 19 - Aberaeron 7

Pembroke set up a KO Cup semi-final with Tenby United by beating Aberaeron at Crickmarren - but were made to work hard by the Division Three West A side.

In rough conditions, The Scarlets went ahead after a series of pick and drives by the pack culminated in skipper Scott Powell going over from close range. No 10 Toby Smith converted.

It was Smith who was then instrumental in the second try, sending out a floated pass which centre Shaun Dalling gathered in midfield and then made the corner.

But Aberaeron, who gave debuts to three youth players, came out battling after the break and got back in the game when flanker Gethin Dafis touched down and No 10 Rhodri Jenkins converted.

Pembroke responded though with the try of the game as Smith made a break and linked with replacement forward Dom Colman, and he fed returning scrum half Tom Lewis who then popped the final pass to Smith again to score.

The No 10 added the extras to seal the win to leave coach Geraint Lewis satisfied.

“We were a bit rusty at times having not played recently and should have been more clinical,” said Lewis.

“But credit Aberaeron, they are a good side. So we are just pleased to get the win and make the semi-finals.”

Lewis also praised youngster Jarred Sharrett, who made his senior debut off the bench.

“The boys played their hearts out,” said Aberaeron assistant coach Aled Davies.

“At 12-7 it could have gone either way but they scored a great try to take it away from us.”

Pembroke: Lewis Davies, Barry Alderman John, Shaun Dalling, Kyren Gray, Luke Hartland, Toby Smith, Tom Lewis, Lloyd Davies, Seamus Wiseman, Johnny Palmer, Scott Powell, Will Edwards, Jack Smythe, Alex Thomas, Rhodri Walters. Replacements: Shane Gwyther, Dom Colman, Dan Gosnold, Harry Dawe, Jarred Sharrett, Iori Roberts, Steve Brown.

Aberaeron spread the ball wide

Cardiff Harlequins and St Davids

Friendly Rugby:


Saints storm to season’s first success


Cardiff Harlequins 12 - St Davids 26

St Davids made their annual trip to Cardiff and came away with a morale boosting win against Cardiff Harlequins.

The Saints took the lead early on when No 8 Jamie Gollings crashed over, before young flanker Llion Williams burst over from 25 metres out. Full back Luke Brooks added a conversion.

The Harlequins came back though when former St Davids player Eirian Evans touched down from a rolling maul to make it 12-5 at half time.

St Davids added seven more points early in the second half though when hooker Rhys Price took an inside ball off No 10 Stephen Smith to score and Brooks converted – but the home side set up a tense finish when Dan Todd cut over and then converted his own try.

The away side sealed victory from the final play though as Brooks came into the line and burst through a gap 15 metres out, and then added the extras to his own try.