Rugby Results 30th March 2019




Otters’ brave comeback in vain


Tata Steel 42 - Narberth 34 

Jack Price - two more tries for outstanding Narberth centreNarberth suffered more injuries against Tata Steel as they lost second row Callum Tree and centre Kieron Jones in a first period where they found themselves adrift by 24-8 but fought back to trail by just 37-34 and looking stronger than opposition they had beaten by 13-10 at The Lewis Lloyd Ground.

But at this stage they were denied a try from a great touchline run by back rower Tom Powell as he was tackled into touch just short – and to add insult to injury The Steelmen went back upfield to round off the scoring.

The Otters were soon under the cosh as Tata claimed early tries by winger Morgan Williams and flanker Dan Griggs, the second converted by Dan Guerreiro before he swapped penalties with Ianto Griffiths to take his side 17-3 in front.

Worse was to follow as Narberth conceded a penalty try but they managed their first try near half time when centre Jack Price scored – and scored again soon after restart when winger Yannik Parker raced through.

Steff Davies crossed the whitewash for Tata, again converted alongside another penalty by Guerreiro but as fortunes ebbed and flowed Price powered over from close range after prop Tom Kaijaks had been held up short, with Griffiths adding the extra points.

Narberth looked strong up front at this stage but after Powell had gone so close the result was finally decided when Jake Lewis crossed for The Steelmen and leave The Otters with just one bonus point for scoring four tries!

Narberth: Ianto Griffiths: Liam Hutchings; Kieron Jones; Jack Price; Yannik Parker: Jonathan Rogers; Lewys Gibby: Bradley Davies; Rhodri Davies; Tom Kaijaks: Callum Tree; Alex Jenkins (Capt): Dewi Williams; Kyle Hamer; Tom Powell. Replacements: Dan Jacobs; Dan Smith; Rhys Lane; Richard Rees; Jake Jenkins.

Jack Price - two more tries for outstanding Narberth centre


Division One (West):


Brilliant win for Bennie’s Boys


Whitland 28 - Dunvant 12

Whitland claimed a third straight league win and climbed above Dunvant in the table by beating the Swansea side 28-12 at Parc Llwyn Ty Gwyn, although it wasn’t until the latter stages that they had breathing space in a physical contest.

Indeed, the home side were hanging on at 13-12 with just 12 minutes to go but it was then that No 10 Nico Setaro landed a penalty before late tries from skipper Marc Jones and Gino Setaro made for a satisfying afternoon for home coaches Gareth Bennett and Dan Mason.

Dunvant No 10 Richard Lewis pulled a relatively straightforward penalty wide before Whitland took the lead after 22 minutes.

There was element of fortune as Jonathan Thomas' attempted pass rebounded off a Dunvant hand and into the path of full back James Stephenson, who went under the posts from 35 metres out. Setaro converted.

The latter added a drop goal but frustratingly for the Borderers, they lost their way in the closing moments of the half and Dunvant flanker Craig Hawkins, well known down west for his time as hooker with Narberth, forced his way over from close range. Lewis converted.

The away side took the lead early in the second half though as No 15 Sam Hawkes cut a line off scrum half Glenn Williams and dived over. The conversion went wide and then Whitland regained the initiative through three points from Setaro.

And then the Borderers held firm under some heavy pressure and still leading 13-12, the home side duly killed the game off late on.

James Thomas took clean lineout ball and from the concerted forward drive that followed hooker Jones touched down by the corner flag.

At that point there were still seven minutes left and then it was centre Setaro who put the gloss on the win, sniping from a ruck on half way and showing searing pace to beat the cover defence and make the corner – with Setaro nailing the difficult conversion.

The only yellow card came late on when Hawkins was sent for an early shower after one altercation too many, but by that time Whitland’s win was secure.

Gareth Bennett (Whitland coach):

“We’re very happy with that. We missed a bonus point but we'll take it.

“I thought we were poor at times in the first half and ill-discipline let us down, I think the count was 7-3 against us. But second half we were a lot better and the boys had to really front up physically.

“The forwards were great second half and the boys off the bench made a massive difference.”

Whitland: James Stephenson, Scott Lloyd, Gino Setaro, Josh Thomas, Jonathan Thomas, Nico Setaro, Adam Davies, Tom Finucane, Marc Jones, Jimmy Buirds, Raff Williams, Courtney Bowman, Ben Kirk, Jamie Thomas, Scott Buirds. Replacements: Josh Thomas, Aaron Mayne, Ryan Morgan, Simon Meakins, Jack Mason.

Dunvant: Sam Hawkes, Tom Davies, Sam Crowley, Mark Robins, Matt Richards, Richard Lewis, Glenn Williams, Robbie Morris, Ceri Davies, Ryan Shoemark, Morgan Bevan, Nathan Vaughan, Craig Hawkins, Jamie Nicholas, Adam Gregory. Replacements: Jack Phillips, Michael Mizzi, Ollie Beck, Edward Berry, Tom Gigg.

James Thomas takes clean lineout ball which led to a forward drive and try for Marc Jones

James Thomas takes clean lineout ball which led to a forward drive and try for Marc Jones


Crymych spare spoils as kickers reign supreme


Crymych 15 - Llangennech 15

Gareth Davies - veteran No 10 claimed all of Crymychs points It was a draw which must have felt like a defeat for Crymych as a last gasp penalty from Llangennech No 10 Tom Neale ensured both sides shared the spoils at Parc Lloyd Thomas.

Both Neale and Crymych’s veteran outside half Gareth Davies had landed two penalties each as the scores stood 6-6 at the break after a colossal battle up front – with second row Rhys ‘Beaky’ Davies, flanker Osian Phillips and hooker Aled Harries all prominent for the Preseli Men in the physical exchanges.

Davies kicked two more penalties after half time and twice, Neale responded in kind, but the home side then seemingly won it when Davies again came up trumps with the boot to make it 15-12.

But from the final play Llangennech were given a chance 40 metres out, and the nerveless Neale made no mistake to level the scores.

“It was a tight game and both sides went punch for punch with each other,” said Crymych assistant coach Iwan James.

Gareth Davies - veteran No 10 claimed all of Crymych's points


Seasiders still battling on


Tenby 7 - Gorseinon 17

A second half try for Billy Truman wasn’t enough for Tenby as they were left ruing some harsh refereeing against Gorseinon.

The Seasiders felt they were overly penalised in the first half and the penalty count proved pivotal, with Gorseinon No 10 landing four penalties, while scrum half Jack Gronow crossed for an unconverted try after being set up by impressive No 8 Nicky Jenkins.

The home side came back after the break though and replacement forward Jack Broadhurst showed his skill to flick a pass to Truman, and the centre went over out wide and Lloyd Thomas converted.

It wasn’t enough for the Seasiders though but they can take heart from an improved showing ahead of their derby trip to play Whitland next week.

Tenby United: Jack Tucker, Jordan Asparassa, Billy Truman, Moritz Neumann, Evan Watson, Lloyd Thomas, Dan Thomas, Ethan Morgan, Dan Allen, Rob Luly, Huw Evans, Luke Dedman, Gwili Owens, Luke Hansford, Tom Barrass. Replacements: Geoff Martin, Harry Bolton, Mark Hamilton, Nathan Owen, Charlie Patching, Jack Broadhurst.


Division Two (West):


Scarlets shine in try-fest at Crickmarren


Pembroke 67 - Loughor 7

Toby Smith - another 27 points for Pembroke outside halfPembroke deservedly moved back into second place in the table with this resounding victory over fifth-placed Loughor as they played with skill, pace and power to run in 11 tries – and gave their supporters something to appreciate from their last home league game of the season

Small wonder then that coach Geraint Lewis was delighted by The Scarlets’ all-round display that had a couple of long-term injured doing great jobs as they led 31-7 at half time and really switched to overdrive thereafter.

Leading the way were winger Simon Stanford, with a hat-trick of tries, and skipper for the day Toby Smith, who added another 27 points to his huge season’s tally with three tries and six conversions.

Stanford, Tom Harding-Jones, Rhodri Waters and No 10 Smith (2) had all got on the try sheet before the oranges alongside three conversions before Loughor grabbed their only score from Jonathan Phillips, converted by Tom Davies.

Fraser James looked really sharp in the centre after six weeks out, opening the second half scoring as Stanford (2) and Toby Smith added to their totals, with others coming from replacement prop Dom Colman and young scrum half Tom Lewis as reward for the way he was always in support and made sure his backs had quality ball to use.

Toby Smith notched three more conversions and this performance kept his side well and truly in the hunt for promotion.

Pembroke:  Tom Harding-Jones: Simon Stanford; Dan Colley (James Davies); Fraser James; Sean Dalling: Toby Smith (Capt); Tom Lewis: Lloyd Davies (Dom Colman); Seamus Wiseman (Rhys Mainwaring); Johnny Palmer:  Will Edwards; Jordan Gwilliam (Cyle Weatherall): Jack Smythe (Alex Thomas); Rhodri Waters; Sam Smith.

Toby Smith - another 27 points for Pembroke outside half


Super Seagulls power past Ponty – and do Scarlets a favour


Pontyberem 12 - Fishguard & Goodwick 24 

Ed Bendall - try brace for Fishguard wingerFishguard and Goodwick made the journey to second-placed Pontyberem and showed their true capabilities with a terrific win from an all-round team effort – and in doing so did fellow local team Pembroke a favour as the Scarlets moved over Ponty and into second spot.

The basis for the Seagulls’ success was the commitment shown by a pack in which seasoned veterans Simon James and Gavin Walsh led the way and were followed by Tomos Evans, Ryan McVeigh, Luke Freebury and Ben John, plus Jordan James and skipper Chris Shousha.

They were instrumental in quelling early attacks from the home side and eventually took the lead when young outside half Geraint Jones, who combined well with Andrew Williams, landed a penalty from just outside the 22.

Then Jones kicked to the corner under a penalty advantage and Ed Bendall was perfectly placed to score a try which Jones converted.

Pontyberem served notice of their ability to claw their was when No 8 Dafydd Jones scored from a sustained forward drive but when they tried to use their pacy backs they were halted by solid defence led by Robbie Jones, Sion Rowlands, Kial Keane and Thomas George.

Fishguard made a good start after the interval as hooker Gavin Walsh rounded off some good ball carrying led by Tomos Evans to score a try, followed by a second from Ed Bendall, who again showed his ability to sniff out half chances – with both converted by Jones.

The Seagulls also had a strong bench which they were able to utilise and although Dafydd Jones carried well for his second score, converted by Mike Sauro, it was far too little, too late and The Seagulls were able to celebrate a creditable sixth spot in the section table.

Ed Bendall - try brace for Fishguard winger


Division Three (West) A:


Aberaeron slam makeshift All Blacks


Aberaeron 69 - Neyland 3

Centre Dyfrig Dafis was at his clinical best for Aberaeron as they showed no mercy on a depleted Neyland in Mid Wales.

Aber kept the pressure on league leaders Milford Haven with ten tries, Dafis scoring four of them while his midfield partner Ollie Sawyer also crossed. Full back Morgan Llewellyn grabbed two tries and there were also scores for wing Bleddyn Thomas, forward Aaron Lewis and outside half Rhodri Jenkins. The latter also kicked eight conversions and a penalty.

For the All Blacks, their only points came via a George Evans penalty when they were only 7-0 down, but all in all it was an away day to forget for them.

Milford Haven winger Jamie Lewis dives over for a try

Milford Haven winger Jamie Lewis dives over for a try


Mariners stay top as Wasps show resilience


Milford Haven 43 - Llangwm 17

League leaders Milford Haven got their expected bonus point win against Llangwm, but only after being given a scare by the Wasps who battled superbly to lead 17-12 early in the second half.

And they were still bang in the contest at 24-17 down late on before a hat trick of tries from Milford centre Dan Jenkins sealed the win for the Mariners.

The home side wasted an early chance when Jenkins’ midfield partner Dan Birch cut through the Llangwm defence but spilt the ball going over the line, but Nathan Williams’ team were soon in control through two tries from winger Jamie Lewis, scrum half Dan McClelland converting one of them.

But the Wasps responded in kind with unconverted tries from flanker Rhys Thomas and No 8 Josh Hicks as they got in the ascendancy up front, went ahead after the break when winger Joe Lewin went over for a score that Luke Hayman converted.

It was then the game had to go to uncontested scrums as Milford went down to 14 men, second row Andrew Ling sustaining a head injury after the home side had used all of their subs.

They still finished strongly though as Llangwm tired, and tries from Birch and second row David Round put them ahead, one converted by McClelland – before Jenkins cut loose with that late treble.

The win keeps Milford eight points clear of Aberaeron having played a game more, but it might have come at a cost with Ryan Mansell, Brandon Cooper, Zac France-Miller, Lee Riley and Garin Gardner all joining Ling in picking up knocks over the 80 minutes.

It was Ladies Day at The Obs, and the event doubled up as a charity fund raiser for two important charities – Eliza’s SDR Journey and Ty Hafan. Overall a fantastic £1600 was raised for both charities, and congratulations to all involved.

Milford Haven: Lee Riley, Jamie Lewis, Dan Jenkins, Dan Birch, Dean McSparron, Efan Morgan, Dan McClelland, Zac France-Miller, Luke Ryan, Darren Lewis, Brandon Cooper, David Round, Ben Groves, Ryan Mansell, Mark Wonnacott. Replacements: Ben Jenkins, Chris Hall, Andrew Ling, Garin Gardener, James Trueman.

Llangwm: Ewan Griffiths, Daniel Morgan, Joe Lewis, Louis Murphy, Joey Lewin, Luke Hayman, Ian Griffiths, Will Scriven, Gethin Thomas, Ieuan Power, Ashley James, Dave Reynolds, James Lewis, Rhys Thomas, Josh Hicks. Replacements: Phil Llewellyn, Gavin Jones, Jason Mock, Kieran Barclay, Matty Lewis.


Quins so close but just miss out


Pembroke Dock Harlequins 10 - Tregaron 12

Pembroke Dock Harlequins came very close to victory at Bierspool but in the end had to settle for a losing bonus point against a Tregaron side which must have been mightily relieved to make the long journey home with their fourth win in 18 starts.

After a fairly even first quarter the Quins took a 22nd minute lead when good work by Neil Drewett, Gary Burns, Ollie Parsons and Harry Owens saw young prop Joe Grey celebrate his birthday with an unconverted try.

And the home side added another five points eight minutes later when flanker Parsons went over from close range after Hywel Baker was joined by Martin Culley in setting up the platform as they sought to avenge a 59-5 defeat when the teams previously met.

But they conceded a try just before the interval to Tregaron centre Chris Williams – and the Mid Wales side took the lead shortly after the start of the second period when flanker Dewi Jones crossed the whitewash and his namesake Alun added the extra points.

The Quins had the chance to overturn their two-point deficit but they elected to take a quick tap penalty and in the final analysis might regret that decision, alongside a few missed chances through over-eagerness, as they lost their 13th match out of 15 played so far.


Lumb leads Cardies to welcome win


St Davids 13 - Cardigan 34

A classy display from Cardigan centre John Lumb helped his side to a bonus point win at St Davids, but it was nothing like the three figure scoreline the Teifisiders enjoyed when the sides met in December.

The Saints turned in a much better defensive performance than in recent weeks and scored a try in each half through back rower Josh Strangward and centre Gabe York. Full back Rhys Morgan, again one of the home side’s best performers alongside young forward Ewan Kimsey, kicked a penalty.

But Cardigan were too strong with Lumb crossing for four tries, one a length of the field interception, alongside scores for winger Dafydd Owens and No 10 Iwan James. Lumb also added two conversions.

“We dug in and put in a shift today,” said St Davids captain Rhys ‘Loshin’ Price.

Cardigan coach Colin Davies meanwhile, admitted it had been a ‘stop-start’ game.

“St Davids dominated the scrum and we dominated in open play,” he said.


Laugharnees complete comfortable double


Laugharne 39 - Llanybydder 12

Laugharne completed the double over Llanybydder and moved into third place as their reward for consistency over recent games.

They had already won 32-16 in Llanybydder and by the interval they had played really well to lead 34-0 thanks to tries from centre Tom Jameson (2), flanker Lee Thomas (2), No 8 Mikey Williams and outside half Steff Davies, who also notched two conversions.

Perhaps they took off the gas in the second half because Llanybydder fought back with unconverted tries by hooker Owain Potter and scrum half Dan Thomas alongside an Alun Jones’ penalty but Laugharne did score a try from Dorian Harries as they were good value for victory.