Rugby Reports 29th February 2020

Skipper Matty Phillips scored a try in the Blues win


Photos - Skipper Matty Phillips scored a try in the Blues' win

Good tackle from Llanybydder


Featured Match:


Division Three (West):


Blues gain double revenge


Haverfordwest 32 Llanybydder 9

Haverfordwest coach Steve Barnett was delighted with his team’s excellent win, not least because they earned a bonus point for scoring five tries in difficult conditions and avenged a double loss in Llanybydder as they were edged out 25-24 in the WRU Bowl and just weeks’ later were easily beaten 19-0 with a disappointing defeat in the league.

Superb first-half defence for The Blues

The Blues trailed 8-9 at the interval but had laid the platform for victory with some terrific defensive work into the teeth of a cruel win – so that Llanybydder were unable to break the defensive web organised by half backs Liam Eaton and skipper Mikey Jones, ably assisted by Rhys Baker, Jack and Jake Evans.

But it was The Blues’ pack which conceded few penalties to limit Llanybydder to just three penalties by No 10 Llyr Tobias. Tom Carrington, Jamie Zambas and young Jonathan Clout, ably assisted by powerhouse members Jack Clancy and Karl Busch, laid the foundations in the set-pieces and in the loose alongside Gareth John, skipper Matty Phillips and especially No 8 Ashley George.

Tobias had given his side an early lead but a terrific break upfield from centre Jack Evans allowed full back Rhys Baker to get up in support and claim a try – and although Mikey Jones was unable to convert he soon found the target with a well-struck penalty.

Tobias managed two further penalties but the hardy band of freezing Blues’ supporters generally agreed it had been a good performance by their team.

Good tackle from Llanybydder

Blues take control up front

And so it proved after the oranges, despite Llanybydder having to opt for uncontested scrums, because after ten minutes setting the stage a powerful burst through the middle by winger Steve Thomas, who had enjoyed a ten-minute break on the naughty step, allowed skipper Matty Phillips to pounce for a corner try which Jones somehow managed to convert.

Thomas was also involved again when No 8 Ashley George pounced for a corner try but Jones’ conversion from almost the same sport rapped the near post.

Llanybydder showed they weren’t ready to lie down spent ten minutes in Blues’ territory, despite having influential No 8 and captain Ricky Davies being yellow-carded- but with replacements of the calibre of Terry Lovell and big Rhydian Watkins also joining the fray The Blues eventually fought out of defence and George added his second score in the same corner – and Jones missed from the identical spot again!

Evans supplies the icing on the cake

With a bonus point assured it was appropriate that Jack Evans should slice through for the final score as the icing on the cake, the young centre carving a gap and slicing through it for Jones to add the extra points to bring a smile to Steve Barnett’s face, the Blues’ head coach telling us,

“Both teams deserved credit for trying to play attacking rugby and Llanybydder deserve an extra mention for making such a long journey and playing their part. I was also pleased at the patience we showed in the second half to claim that extra point for a very solid team performance”

Haverfordwest: Rhys Baker: Jamie Barnett; Jack Evans; Jake Evans; Stephen Thomas: Mikey Jones; Liam Eaton: Jonathan Clout; Jamie Zambas; Tom Carrington: Jack Clancy, Karl Busch: Gareth John; Matty Phillips (Capt); Ashley George. Replacements: Terry Lovell; Rhydian Watkins; Geraint Sargeant; Archie Thomas; Lewis Tingay.

Llanybydder: Carwyn Evans: Jordan Jones; Llyr James; Rhys Morris; Ross Holder: Llyr Tobias; Jac Thomas: Rhys Rowlands; Steffan Bonsall; Tomos Adams: Josh Jones; John Evans: Tom Evans; Aled Evans; Ricky Davies (Capt). Replacements: Dylan Davies; Ben Roach; Stephen Rees.

Referee: Martyn Jones (St Clears/Carmarthen) – who had a good game in control.

Gareth John on the burst for The Blues

Photo - Gareth John on the burst for The Blues



Championship Division:


Students too strong for The Otters


Cardiff Met 34 Narberth 7

Cardiff Met produced some excellent rugby to gain a comprehensive victory over Narberth, who could only muster one try to the students’ five.

The Otters trailed by 15-0 at the interval and could only muster one second-half try by Joe Hutchings which Jonathan Rogers converted

For Cardiff Met there were five tries by Tom Morgan, Morgan Nelson (2), Ethyn Baker and  Brad Roderick-Evans to go with three conversions and a penalty by Evan Lloyd.

Sadly, no other details were forthcoming from Narberth RFC.


Division One (West):


Vital victory for battling Preseli Men


Llanelli Wanderers 12 Crymych 16

Tomos Phillips - vital try for CrymychAfter four successive defeats Crymych notched their first win of 2020 with a good team performance at Llanelli Wanderers.

The Preseli Men enjoyed a lot of early territory and were rewarded with a 6-0 lead as winger Adam Phillips landed two penalties.

The Wanderers, who like Crymych were in need of a win in their battle to avoid relegation, hit back through a Jordan Evans try and Lewis Jones conversion.

But then came the decisive moment as Crymych No 10 Ifan Davies, playing his first senior game, cut through in midfield and set up a try for full back Tomos Phillips.

Phillips converted and then added a penalty before half time to set up a 16-7 lead.

The second half became scrappy but the score stayed the same until late on when Rhydian Morgan went over for a try that earned the home side a bonus point, but it was the Preseli Men who took a priceless win.

“We dominated most of the game today and them scoring late on didn’t reflect the 80 minutes,” said Crymych team manager Iwan James.

“The whole team played well and especially Ifan Davies, who came in for his first game from youth and really stepped up.”

Photo - Tomos Phillips - vital try for Crymych

Good hands from Pembroke

Photo - Good hands from Pembroke


Scarlets have nothing to show for brave effort


Pembroke 18 Llangennech 26

Yet again Pembroke were left ruing what might have been as they led late on against second-placed Llangennech, only to end up with nothing.

In tough conditions, it was the visitors who made a storming start when two minutes in winger Tom Davies went over for a try that full back Tom Neale converted.

But then the Scarlets took control, and from a driving lineout second row Dom Colman touched down in the corner.

The same player repeated the feat before half time when hooker Seamus Wiseman again hit his man at the lineout and a concerted forward drive gave Colman his second unconverted score.

It stayed 10-7 until the 65th minute when the visitors hit back with a try by winger Tom Barnes, but a Toby Smith penalty immediately had Pembroke back 13-12 in front.

Bu then came the decisive moment as Pembroke pushed for another score only to cough up possession, and Barnes raced 50 metres upfield to set up an attack from which No 8 Jordan Saunders scored and Neale converted.

Llangennech’s replacement prop Brandon Lee then crossed and Neale again goaled to make it 13-26 to effectively end the contest.

But more drama was to come when from the final play Pembroke second row Will Edwards grabbed a try but in the swirling wind, Smith’s conversion drifted agonisingly wide which meant no bonus point for the Scarlets.

“Yet again it was a game that got away,” said Pembroke forwards’ coach Kyle Davies.

“But their bench was strong. They brought two props on at the hour mark and that proved crucial.”

Pembroke: Lewis Davies, Shaun Dalling, Tom Harding-Jones, Toby Smith, Luke Hartland, Kyran Gray, Tom Lewis, Lloyd Davies, Seamus Wiseman, Johnny Palmer, Dom Colman, Scott Powell (capt), Will Edwards, Jack Mason, Rhodri Waters. Replacements: Shane Gwyther, Jack Smythe, Harry Dawe, Barry Alderman-John, Geraint Powell.

Tom Lewis breaks for The Scarlets

Photo: Tom Lewis breaks for The Scarlets


Borderers beaten by the weather


Whitland P Aberystwyth P

Match postponed because of pitch conditions at Park Llwyn Ty Gwyn


Division Two (West):


Seasiders successful in Pembrokeshire derby tussle


Matthew Morgan - key try for Tenby UnitedTenby United 15 Milford Haven 7

Tenby United moved into the top four after winning their last of three battles with Milford Haven this season.

The Seasiders had won and then lost at The Obs already this season in KO Cup and league games, but with the wind behind them in the first half yesterday set the platform to succeed again.

After 10 minutes home No 10 Lloyd Thomas landed a penalty to make it 3-0 and then halfway through the first period, a close range scrum led to flanker Will Swales going over and Thomas added the extras.

But if The Seasiders controlled the first half, the second was an arm wrestle and the home side extended their lead in controversial circumstances. During a brawl between both sets of players Tenby No 9 Matty Morgan was allowed to take a quick tap penalty and he sped 40 metres to the posts to touch down.

Thomas slipped as he took the conversion and missed, but at 15-0 it was a long way back for The Mariners.

They did respond though after a prolonged period in the Tenby 22, which culminated in young winger James Williams touching down in the corner and James Trueman did well to convert from out wide.

Milford couldn’t get another score though and now face a fight to maintain their Division Two status in the closing weeks of the season.

Tenby United: Joe Owen, Mike Davis, Yannic Parker, Moritz Neumann, Callum Serefini, Lloyd Thomas, Matthew Morgan, Geoff Martin, Dan Allen, Rob Luly, Ben James, Luke Dedman (capt), Andrew Cooke, Harry Bolton, Jack Broadhurst. Replacements: Ethan Morgan, Justin Richards, Will Swales, Wyndham Williams, Jimmy Davies.

Milford Haven: James Williams, Dean McSparron, Jimmy Thomas, Dan Jenkins, Lee Riley, James Trueman, Dan McClelland, Mike Cockburn, Luke Ryan, Adam Rees, Dylan Evans, Andrew Ling, Dai Sweeny, Kyle Hamer, Zac Davies. Replacements: Josh Hamer, Ben Jenkins, Nathan Williams, Jay Goodall, Aaron Mayne.


Photo - Matthew Morgan - key try for Tenby United


Seagulls miss another match


Carmarthen Athletic P Fishguard & Goodwick P

The Seagulls were again denied a match by the weather!



Division Three (West):


Cardis come good in second half


Llyr Jones - kicked well for Cardigan Cardigan 37 Pembroke Dock Harlequins 8

At half time Pembroke Dock Harlequins were in with a shout of claiming the double over Cardigan after their 25-10 home win at Bierspool, because they were only trailing 3-6 – but then The Teifisiders took complete control, thanks to their pack power, and added 31 points whilst restricting the visitors to a solitary try by skipper Jack Price.

Llyr Jones had kicked Cardigan into an early lead but Kieran Machin replied with a similar penalty for The Quins before Jones added his second three-pointer on target with almost the last kick of the half.

But The Cardis’ pack had been gradually gaining the ascendancy, especially in the set-pieces, and they were awarded a penalty try after a series of collapsed attacking scrum fives and Llyr Jones landed his third penalty from a deliberate knock on.

A careless dropped ball in the shadow of The Quins’ posts allowed replacement forward Toby Neilson-Dry to power over the whitewash, with Jones again adding the extras, before The Quins’ outstanding young scrum half Gethin Bradney help set up a try for skipper Price.

Cardigan had the final words in this contest, however, when they added two late tries by hooker Richard Fletcher and classy No 10 Luke Rogers, both converted by Jones to nicely set the seal on an excellent home display.

Photo - Llyr Jones - kicked well for Cardigan 

Winners Llangwm 

Photos - Winners Llangwm

Runners-up St Davids

Runners-up St Davids

Club Big Guns speak after the match - Jack Dudley (St Davids) and Richard Scriven (Llangwm)

Club 'Big Guns' speak after the match - Jack Dudley (St Davids) and Richard Scriven (Llangwm)

 Llangwm skipper Gethin Thomas receives the new trophy from Johnny James sons Sion and Josh

Llangwm skipper Gethin Thomas receives the new trophy from Johnny James' sons Sion and Josh


Wasps win inaugural Johnny James memorial Cup


St Davids 5 Llangwm 13

The first ever Johnny James Cup went back with Llangwm after they came through yet another tough battle with St Davids.

The game was played in swirling winds and after The Wasps led 8-5 at half time, the score stayed that way until the dying seconds when No 10 Jo Kiff intercepted a pass and raced 50 metres yards to make the corner.

By that point the visitors had already secured the silverware as they held a 12 point aggregate lead from the first game at Pill Parks, but this gave them a third league win of the season while The Saints remain bottom with just a solitary point.

Fortunes ebb and flow

Dan Morgan - good opening try for LlangwmIt was Llangwm who had first use of the strong gales and full back Luke Hayman did well to land a wide angled penalty, but it was St Davids who grabbed the first try.

Full back Rhys Morgan kicked a penalty to the corner and after skipper Dan Murphy burst to within metres of a line, a period of pressure culminated with the prop popping up again near the corner flag to score.

Back came Llangwm as strong carries from Gethin Thomas and flanker James Lewis, who came in on permit from Whitland, set the platform for Kiff to float out a long pass which winger Daniel Morgan gathered out wide before diving over.

The Saints wasted a chance to re-take the lead when they failed to capitalise on a series of close range scrums but with the elements behind them second half, they kicked off favourites with just a three point deficit.

Wasps control play well

Joe Kiff - vital interception try for The WaspsBut it was Llangwm who controlled the play and possession in the final 40 minutes. Returning winger Mike Venables twice went close, one time being denied a try for a double movement, and second rows Jason Mock and David Reynolds were among those held up inches short.

The Saints meanwhile, struggled to get any field position but did break from deep late on when Dylan Walsh switched to scrum half and went blind from a scrum before setting Lee Phillips off on a run down the wing - but he was tackled into touch by the cover defence.

Then from the final play, The Saints tried to attack from a lineout near half way but the ball bounced off the knee of centre George Raymond and into the hands of Kiff, who duly sped downfield and dived over out wide to seal the win.

Dan Murphy - another try for Saints skipperAfterwards the family of Johnny James presented the trophy to Llangwm skipper Gethin Thomas, before both sets of players and supporters again showcased the best side of grassroots rugby with a big night together in the clubhouse.

St Davids: Rhys Morgan, Josh Atherton, Dylan Walsh, George Raymond, Luke Brooks, Owain Beynon, Zak Morgan, Will Davies, Tom Clarke, Dan Murphy, Dan Boyes, Emyr Wile, Llion Williams, Rhys Price, Gethin Bateman. Replacements: Lee Phillips, Andrew Batten, Steve Griffiths, Mikey Matthews, Fraser Watson.

Llangwm: Luke Hayman, Daniel Morgan, Yale Grice, Louis Murphy, Mike Venables, Jo Kiff, Oliver Davies, Ieuan Power, Phil Llewellyn, Gethin Thomas, Jason Mock, David Reynolds, Ian Griffiths, James Lewis (1), James Lewis (2). Replacements: Matt Lewis, Gethin Thomas (2), Iwan Griffiths, David Lewis,

Referee: Julian Thomas.

Photo - Dan Morgan - good opening try for Llangwm
Photo - Joe Kiff - vital interception try for The Wasps
Photo - Dan Murphy - another try for Saints' skipper


Table-topping Town narrowly miss out


Aberaeron 12 Lampeter Town 10

When these two talented teams met in Lampeter they shared a 3-3 draw and it looked as if another draw was going to be most likely result as a late try by Lampeter Town took them to within two points of Aberaeron.

The conversion was always likely to be challenging in the powerful wind but not hugely wide of the uprights – although it sailed wide and Aberaeron were victorious.

Both Aber’s tries were scored by dynamic flanker Aaron Lewis, who played really well alongside Gethin Dafis and the evergreen Tudur Jenkins, with support from the likes of Alex Danton, Ceri Davies, Owain Wozencroft, Dafydd Lloyd and skipper Sion Evans.

His first came after Lampeter had opened the scoring with an unconverted try from flanker Ryan Holmes so that the scores were level at 5-all after a gritty first half where no quarter was asked for or given.

Then Lewis added his second score as reward for support in a cracking break by full back Rhodri Thomas, this time converted by Rhodri Jenkins who played well at half back in conjunction with Morgan Llewellyn.

But Lampeter refused to submit and they fought back with a try by centre Ewan Bowden but the kick sailed wide – and if The Town miss out narrowly on promotion they might look back on that vital conversion attempt!


Saints hold on for narrow win


St Clears 5 Tregaron 3

St Clears remain in second spot after this narrow home win over a typically gritty Tregaron side – and gave them the double since they had already won 17-7 in Mid Wales.


Match postponed at Wooford Park


Laugharne P Neyland 0

** Ground unfit for play