Rugby Reports 26th January 2019

Nick Gale - more vital points for Narberth

Nick Gale - more vital points for Narberth



Gale’s kicking again a key factor


Narberth 13 - Tata Steel 10

Narberth grafted their way to a narrow victory in a hard-fought tussle against Tata Steel on a heavy Lewis Lloyd pitch in a match played in abject conditions.

It was never going to be a high-scoring match but The Otters showed great determination to claw their way back from ten-point interval deficit and once again it was the siege-gun kicking of winger Nick Gale which eventually brought the home – the match-winning three-pointer coming from inside his own half as he judged the wind to perfection.

Matches between these sides are traditionally hard-fought and this rearranged fixture was certainly no exception as the visitors took first use of the elements and established that interval advantage thanks to a try by flanker Scott Maloney, converted by No 10 Dan Guerreiro, who also slotted a penalty.

Some good defensive play overall

The Otters had half chances which came to nought but they could be reasonably satisfied with some solid defending by Kieron Jones, Jack Price and Ianto Griffiths, whilst half backs Lewys Gibby and Jonathan Rogers did well around the fringes.

There was also solid cover, initiated up front by Tom Kaijaks and skipper Alex Jenkins in support of some good covering by Tom Powell, Andrew Cooke and Richard Rees.

The front row of Bradley Davies, Rhodri Owens and Tom Slater was also strong and whatever coach Sean Gale said at the interval the entire team seemed to raise the tempo and it was flanker Cooke who claimed a try early in the second period which Gale kicked before hauling them level with a well-judged penalty.

Then The Otters were awarded a penalty 54 metres out and Gale belted the ball between the uprights and with no further scoring it was Narberth who took the four points for victory – and retain a place in the top four in the section table!

Narberth: Ianto Griffiths: Nick Gale; Kieron Jones; Jack Price; Lawrence Headlam: Jonathan Rogers; Lewys Gibby: Bradley Davies; Rhodri Owens; Tom Slater: Tom Kaijaks; Alex Jenkins (Capt): Andrew Cooke; Tom Powell; Richard Rees. Replacements: Kyle Hamer; Dan Jacobs; Harry Phillips; Matthew Morgan; Yannic Parker.


Division One (West):


Easy win for rejuvenated Preseli Men


Kidwelly 0 - Crymych 30

Tomos Lewis - nice try in Crymych away winIt was one-sided in Kidwelly as Crymych produced another polished all round display to notch a bonus point win, consolidating their top four place in the process.

They got in the ascendancy early on when full back Alun Jenkins crossed over and then scrum half Dafydd Phillips sniped for the second try, with young No 10 Harri Williams adding a conversion and penalty for a 15-0 half time lead.

And the Preseli Men doubled that in the second period, with centre Gethin Gibby capping another good display with a try and despite the poor conditions, the visitors continued to go wide and were rewarded when winger Tomas Lewis got the bonus point score.

Like the first half, Williams landed a conversion and penalty and the Preseli Men are now just four points off second placed Gowerton.

“It was a great all round team performance in very tough conditions,” said Adrian Howells.


Tomos Lewis - nice try in Crymych away win


True grit earns Borderers victory


Llanelli Wanderers 7 - Whitland 9

Nico Setaro - three penalties to seal Borderers successOutside half Nico Setaro kept his cool to kick Whitland to a vital win in Llanelli Wanderers, in a game inevitably affected by torrential weather.

With No 8 Scott Buirds and skipper Marc Jones both outstanding, The Borderers took early control as Setaro landed two penalties to make it 6-0.

But the Wanderers, who the week before scored from two rolling mauls in Tenby to snatch a late win, repeated the trick here as prop Adam Davies touched down from a lineout drive and Rhydian Morgan converted.

A tight, tense second half then yielded just three points, and they came from Setaro’s boot with what proved the match winning penalty.

The Borderers did think they’d made the game safe late on when winger Sean Coles went over only to be called pack for crossing in midfield, but also had to dig deep when 15 minutes from time flanker Danny Evans was yellow carded.

But dig deep they did to the delight of backs’ coach Dan Mason.

“The conditions were horrible but everyone stood up to be counted.” he said.

Whitland: James Stephenson, Dan Evans, Liam Price, Josh Thomas, Sean Coles, Nico Setaro, Adam Davies, Dai Jones, Marc Jones, Jimmy Buirds, Raff Williams, Courtney Bowman, Ryan Morgan, Danny Evans, Scott Buirds. Replacements: Aaron Mayne, Gino Setaro, Dai Ebsworth, Jamie Thomas, Gethin Lewis.

Nico Setaro - three penalties to seal Borderers' success


Seasiders’ youngsters show promise


Llangennech 25 - Tenby United 6

Again there was plenty of promise from Tenby’s youngsters in Llangennech but in the end the home side proved too strong after a tight first 40 minutes.

The Seasiders trailed just 8-6 at the break as No 10 Lloyd Thomas, one of their standout players, landed two penalties while the home side led through a Rhys Davies try and Brandon Wood penalty.

Tenby did stick to their task against the elements after half time and youth players Jack Gooding and Joe Owen were two to impress, while Jack Broadhurst and Roy Osborn again carried well up front.

But Llangennech eventually sealed the five points with further tries from Matthew Jacobs (2) and James Patrick, with Wood adding a conversion as the long wait for a league win continues for the Seasiders.

Tenby United: Shane Rossiter, Will Swales, Ben Pugh, Moritz Neumann, Joe Owen, Lloyd Thomas, Dan Thomas, Ethan Morgan, Dom Booth, Rob Luly, Luke Dedman, Tom Barrass, Jack Broadhurst, Mike Davis, Roy Osborn (capt). Replacements: Huw Evans, Dan Allen, Charlie Patching, Rob Tuttle, Jack Gooding


Division Two (West):


Seagulls snatch a narrow verdict at The Moors


Fishguard & Goodwick 14 - Mumbles 12

Chris Shousha - key try for Fishguard skipperFishguard and Good gained ample revenge for a 31-21 defeat when they had met Mumbles at Underhill Park earlier in the season and as a result of this success are now situated in a respectable seventh place in the table.

With the pitch understandably heavy there was little likelihood of so many points but The Seagulls started a lot better in recent away matches and kept a clean scoresheet in the first period whilst claiming the only points, with Sion Rowlands and young Lewis Davies joining Robbie Jones in bottling up the midfield..

They led 7-0 at half time thanks to a penalty try after fly half Geraint Jones spotted a space down the flank and was halted near the line by a ‘no arms’ tackle that gave the referee little option but to award the seven points.

Seagulls look strong but concede two tries

With The Seagulls looking strong up front they added another try after a series of drives involving Simon James, Scott Riches, Chris Shousha Ben John, Gwilym Williams and the rest of the home eight it was skipper Shousha who ploughed over the whitewash for Jones to add the extras, via the upright.

But Mumbles refused to surrender and fought their way back with tries from Craig Reeves and Rhys Griffiths, one converted by Tom Richards  - but fortunately the other went wide and so The Seagulls claimed their sixth win from 15 starts!

Fishguard & Goodwick: Robbie Jones: Ed Bendall; Sion Rowlands; Lewis Davies; Luke Mitchell: Geraint Jones; Andrew Williams: Ryan McVeigh; Jordan Jones; Andrew Morrillo: Ben John; Gwilym Evans:  Scott Riches; Chris Shousha; Simon James. Replacements: Gavin Walsh; Alun George; Liam Wilkes; Richard Hunter; Mark George.

Chris Shousha - key try for Fishguard skipper


The Scarlets’ great run continues


Tumble 3 - Pembroke 36

Toby Smith - another 16 pointsPembroke were missing several key players for their trip to Tumble but still had way too much for the bottom placed side as the Scarlets maintained their promotion bid.

Despite a heavy pitch and freezing rain, the visitors took the lead when No 8 Sam Smith combined with brother Toby at No 10, who in turn put centre Dan Colley under the posts. Toby Smith converted.

Colley’s midfield partner Sean Dalling then scored a superb individual try, showing quick feet after an outside break, to make it 12-0 half time.

Tumble got on the board with a Steff Price penalty but as so often this season, Pembroke upped the ante in in the final half hour and it was Sam Smith who made a blindside break before powering over in the corner.

Then it was Toby’s turn to touch down after a prolonged period of Pembroke pressure and he also added the extras, before man of the match Luke Hartland cut over from full back to open up a 29-3 lead.

Toby Smith rounded off the win with his second try, and a conversion for a haul of 16 points, to leave coach Geraint Lewis more than satisfied.

“It was another big statement today from us today with a few boys missing,” he said.

“But our power and fitness showed in that last half hour.”

Pembroke: Luke Hartland, Tom Harding-Jones, Sean Dalling, Dan Colley, Simon Stanford, Toby Smith, Tom Lewis, Lloyd Davies, Rhys Mainwaring, Jonny Palmer, Will Edwards, Scott Powell, Jordan Gwilliam, Alex Thomas, Sam Smith. Replacements: Rhodri Waters, Jack Smythe, Billy Wood, James Davies, Seamus Wiseman.


Toby Smith - another 16 points


Division Three (West): 

Blues pay the price for travelling light


Aberaeron 33 - Haverfordwest 3

Haverfordwest made the long trek to Aberaeron with only 16 players and no recognised front row – and paid the inevitable price against a strong Aberaeron outfit as they were therefore forced to play with uncontested scrums and only 14 men as punishment.

The Blues did well to trail by just 12-3 at half time but tired legs saw them conceded another 21 unanswered points after the oranges – and were down to 13 men on two occasions as they received two yellow cards.

Liam Manwaring landed The Blues’ solitary three points from a penalty but Aberaeron grabbed two tries by Tom Lewis and No 8 Tudur Jenkins, one converted by Rhodri Jenkins.

Aberaeron made their numerical advantage tell in the second half as they added further tries with a second for Tudur Jenkins alongside others by Daniel Lewis and Dyfrig Dafis.

Rhodri Jenkins kicked all three conversions to five his side a deserved double, having already won 29-12 at Haverfordwest earlier in the campaign.


Laugharnees run in nine tries at Wooford Park


Laugharne 57 - St Davids 0

Carl Smith - try for Laugharne captainLaugharne ran in nine tries against St Davids at Wooford Park, six of them in a one-sided first half and another three after the break as The Saints battled hard and conceded only another three scores.

The home side opened their account with an early penalty try before prolific No 8 Mikey Williams crossed for the second, followed by centre Tom Jameson and winger Gareth Spiers, with a brace.

Outside half Steff Davies landed four conversions to ease his team into a 38-0 lead at half time and he added another three on target as replacement second row Gary Jones got his name on the try sheet and so did skipper Carl Smith and Tom Davies as Laugharne remain in a solid fourth place – and with games in hand on the two teams immediately above them!

St Davids: Rhys Morgan, Rhys Evans, Adam Williams, Tommy Reynolds, James Atherton, Mathew Bennett, Mark Wilson, Ben Evans, Rhys Price, Dan Murphy, Rhys Price, Gethin Bateman, Adam Williams, Andrew Groves, Ianto Davies.

Carl Smith - try for Laugharne captain

 Patrick Bellerby canters over for the first try for Neyland

Patrick Bellerby canters over for the first try for Neyland


All Blacks complete a local-derby double


Neyland 39 - Llangwm 7

Neyland completed a high-scoring double over near neighbours Llangwm as they always held the upper hand but found The Wasps a far more challenging project this time: not like their 79-3 win at Pill Parks.

The All Blacks went on the attack from the outset and had several chances in the clubhouse corner where mark James, Ben Williams, Owain and Iestyn Evans were all involved – but the pressure finally told when quick hands allowed full back Patrick Bellerby to find the space he needed on a strong run to the line before George Evans added the extra points to go with a penalty.

Then Neyland dramatically increased their tally with a flurry of tries which started with a 50- metre interception dash from new centre Jack Partridge which No 10 Evans converted before quick hands released winger Delme Bateman on a run to the line and then No 8 Ben Williams cleverly released Bellerby on a blind side run from half way to earn his second score.

It says much for the Wasps’ resilience that they opened the second half scoring after good work from Dan Chesmer, Ian Griffiths, Ieuan Power, skipper Gethin Thomas and the rest of their pack before No 8 Josh Hicks continued his regular scoring as he was fed by No 9 Ian Griffiths near the Neyland 25 and burst through several tackles to score a try that was converted by Lewis Murphy.

But The All Blacks soon returned to action when winger Henry MacBeth sped through for Evans to add the extras and veteran winger Bateman added his second to round off the scoring in a match where both sides deserve a pat on the back for trying to play positive rugby throughout in front of a good crowd.

Neyland:  Patrick Bellerby: Henry McBeth; Jack Partridge; Alex Codd; Delme Bateman: George Evans; Jack Richards: Craig Power; Gavin Campbell; Luke Griffiths-Dawes: Mark James; Nathan Banner: Owain Evans; Iestyn Evans; Ben Williams. Replacements: Sam Cataki; Richard Jones.

Llangwm: Ewan Griffiths: Dan Morgan; Yale Grice; James Lewis; Lewis Murphy; Matthew Lewis: Lewis Murphy; Ian Griffiths: Ieuan Power; Gethin Thomas; Dan Hughes: Dan Chesmer; Gavin Jones: James Lewis; Rhys Thomas; Josh Hicks.

Nathan Banner on the burst for Neyland

Nathan Banner on the burst for Neyland


Mariners make long journey pay off


Tregaron 3 - Milford Haven 22

Efan Morgan - try for The Mariners in TregaronIt wasn’t pretty in mid-Wales but Milford Haven made use of a strong second half win to make it 12 league wins from 12 in Tregaron.

The Mariners trailed 3-0 at half time on a surface inevitably affected by the heavy rain - but dug deep thereafter and used the elements well.

They took the lead shortly after the break when full back Lee Riley was on the end of an overlap to score in the corner, and soon after a scrappy exchange of play near the Tregaron line ended with No 10 Efan Morgan gathering a loose ball to score.

Winger James Trueman added a conversion and a penalty, and then the win was sealed by Sam Dolling.

The No 8 only replaced Dewi Williams in the XV in the morning after the latter was forced to withdraw, and he finished a move which started inside Milford’s own half with a powerful finish.

“This was a potentially a banana skin game and we’re happy to come through with the win,” said Nathan Williams.

Milford Haven: Lee Riley, Craig Thomas, Steve Martin, Dan Birch, James Trueman, Efan Morgan, Dan McClelland, Zac France-Miller, Luke Ryan, Nathan Williams, David Round, Brandon Cooper, Ben Groves, Ryan Mansell, Sam Dolling. Replacements: Ben Jenkins, Andrew Ling, Zac Davies, Dai Sweeny, Dean McSparron.


Efan Morgan - try for The Mariners in Tregaron