Rugby Reports 15th December 2018

Neyland compete for posession

Neyland compete for posession
Neyland score a try


Division Three (West) A: 


All Blacks batter late arrivals

Neyland 71 - Tregaron 3

Neyland score a tryThe win was straightforward - but the conditions anything but as Neyland made sure they'd be top of the table for Christmas with 11 tries against struggling Tregaron.

Centre Alex Codd led the way with a try hat trick as the All Blacks attacked at will, leading 45-3 at half time and then adding 26 unanswered points thereafter.

The pitch survived the morning storms but kick off was then delayed half an hour with the visitors held up en route due to fallen trees on the road.

And when they did arrive, the Mid Wales team could only field 14 men with uncontested scrums from the start.

But in a frantic opening, it was Tregaron who actually took the lead with a penalty from scrum half Gethin Jones, although less than 10 minutes later Neyland had a bonus point sealed with tries from Sam Cataki, Ben Williams, Patrick Bellerby, and Codd.

The latter added a second score before the break and Iestyn Evans also crossed. Namesake George meanwhile, also grabbed a try and landed five conversions.

Everyone given a chance

Coaches Graham Richards and Steve Evans emptied the bench at half time and with the Buirds brothers both back in the pack, on permit from Whitland, Neyland dominated the early stages of the second half as well.

Tom Hughes crossed moments after coming on before Owain Evans rounded off some neat interplay to score.

And despite having winger Dillon McGaffin sin binned, it was Codd who added a third after winning the race to a loose ball hacked ahead by Bellerby. The latter then got his second try following an inside pass from Hughes.

Evans added three more conversions.

To be fair to Tregaron they didn't cave in despite playing against a strong wind second half, and it took some dogged late Neyland defence to keep them out after prop Dorian Pugh had led a series of charges towards the line.

No 9 Jones also did well to keep his side going on a difficult afternoon, and if nothing else, they will be relieved to have another long away trip out of the way.

Man of the match - Alex Codd:

Ironically, Neyland scored fewer points with the wind than they did against it, although referee Martin Beazer may have been a little prompt with his full time whistle. Quite understandably so and the official reffed sensibly given the situation.

But when a side runs in 11 tries there tends to be a few stand-out players but Codd's hat trick, and the manner in which he threatened constantly with ball in hand, means he gets the nod.

Graham Richards (Neyland head coach): "In the end it was just good to play.

"Obviously things didn't start well with them being held up and uncontested scrums but we got the game done.

"There was standing water here this morning so in the end the delay and the strong winds probably helped."

Neyland: Patrick Bellerby, Delme Bateman, Alex Codd, George Williams, Henry McBeth, Dillen McGaffin, George Evans, Jack Harries, Gavin Campbell, Sam Cataki, Scott Buirds, Nathan Banner, Iestyn Evans, Owain Evans, Ben Williams. Replacements: Mark James, Richard Jones, Jimmy Buirds, Chris Busby, Tom Hughes.

Tenby awarded a penalty

Tenby awarded a penalty


Division One (West):


Rain brings premature end to big local derby

Tenby United 0 - Crymych 0

**This was match was abandoned after 20 minutes

They did everything to get the game on at Heywood Lane - but eventually the torrential weather won the day with referee Peter Edwards forced to call a halt to proceedings 20 minutes in.

Pockets of surface water were apparent before kick-off but the situation soon worsened in the relentless rain, and after a number of players lost their footing at the breakdown just outside the Crymych 22, Edwards decided enough was enough.

By that point the influence of the conditions was already apparent, with respective No 10s Shane Rossiter and Gareth Davies both missing a penalty kick to touch in the howling winds, although both sides did have spells of pressure.

Crymych twice wasted a platform from a five metre attacking scrum whilst Tenby, who kicked off with the elements behind them, had a try for full back Jack Tucker disallowed for a forward pass - and centre Aaron James was off target with a penalty.

But by 3pm, both sets of players were back in the changing rooms and referee Edwards said: "There were a couple of spots by kick off I was concerned about and they soon became a lot worse in the rain.

"When pools of water started forming and players were losing their footing there was no choice.

"It was too dangerous."

Tenby United: Jack Tucker, Geraint Powell, Aaron James, Moritz Neumann, Jordan Asparassa, Shane Rossiter, Ben Pugh, Huw Evans, Tom Barass, Rob Luly, Roy Osborne, Luke Dedman, Harry Phillips, Luke Hansford, Luke Broadhust. Replacements: Ethan Morgan, Nicky Guymer, Andrew Cooke, Lloyd Thomas, Lewis Davies.

Crymych: Nick Bevan, Tomos Lewis, Gethin Gibby, Tomi Jones, Laurence Headlam, Gareth Davies, Dafydd Phillips, Steff Harries, Aled Harries, Ryan Rees, Matthew Freebury, Rhys Richards, Rhys Davies, Guto Davies, Osian Davies. Replacements: Morgan James, Llew Rees, Tom Powell, Tomos Phillips, Carwyn Jones.

Scrum time

Scrum time


Division Two (West):


Seagulls get on top but hopes spoil by weather

Fishguard & Goodwick 3 -  Loughor 0

** Match abandoned after 23 minutes

The Seagulls made an excellent start to their match against fifth-placed Loughor at The Moors as their pack got on top in the set-pieces and had a penalty from No 10 Geraint Jones alongside a couple of handling half chances which went astray in the slippery conditions.

Loughor soon opted for uncontested scrums and when their coach told the referee he thought the playing conditions had become dangerous the official had no option but to abandon the game, leaving Fishguard to reflect on what might have been had the weather relented a little earlier.


Division Three (West) A:

Cardis’ forward power pays off



Cardigan 13 - Laugharne 0

Colin Davies - Cardigan coach led from the front
Cardigan continued their improved form at the King George Vth Playing Fields as they adapted to the atrocious conditions far better than opponents Laugharne, who have looked in good nick of late but found the home pack too much of a handful and as a result weren’t able to score a single point.

The Cardis managed a try in each half alongside a first half penalty from centre Emyr Harries which helped them to an 8-0 interval lead and although Laugharne had second use of the elements they were unable to break down a stubborn home defence which was well organised by skipper John Lumb alongside the tackling of Harries, Llyr Jones, Rhydian Jenkins and 18 year old Joe Mansfield.

It was player/coach Colin Davies who scored Cardigan’s opening try as he latched on to a lineout drive orchestrated by Will Bryce, Bedwyr Davies, Tom Taylor and Gruff Lewis – and veteran prop Andrew Fletcher added the second in similar fashion after half backs Tom Dunn and Iwan John had kicked them into an attacking position from which Laugharne were unable to halt the forward surge.

It meant that Cardigan were good value for victory and player/coach Davies admitted afterwards that he was over the moon with both performance and result!

Cardigan: John Lumb: Rhydian Jenkins; Emyr Harries; Llyr Jones; Joe Mansfield: Iwan John; Tom Dunn: Will Bryce; Bedwyr Davies; Andrew Fletcher: Dean Harries; Sion Phillips: Tom Taylor; Gruff Lewis; Colin Davies. Replacements: Ben Hughes; Luke Palmer-Davies; Sion Hughes; Toby Neilson; Gwern Phillips

Laugharne: Steff Davies; Ben Lloyd: Tom Waters; Tom Hughes; Gethin Rees; Dean Harries;  Carwyn Rees; Owain Thomas; Will Evans; Tom Jameson; Tom Davies; Wynne Evans; Mikey Williams; Gary Jones; Dafydd Elliott.


Colin Davies - scored Cardigan's first try

Jenkins jolts Llanybydder with cracking try brace

Llanybydder 9 - Aberaeron 23

Two tries by experienced No 8 Tudur Jenkins helped Aberaeron to a very good away win at Llanybydder which keeps them handily in fourth place in the section table – and with games in hand over the clubs above them.

Llanybydder managed three first-half penalties from outside half Steff Richards but found themselves 17-9 in arrears as Jenkins ploughed over for his try brace, with both converted by Rhodri Jenkins to go with a well-struck penalty.

Jenkins maintained his 100% record with the boot by knocking over over two further penalties as the weather inevitably worsened and his team’s reward was to make the journey home with a record of six wins from seven league outings.


**All other matches postponed because of the torrential rain and high winds **