Rugby Reports 12th October 2019

Tregaron drive on against The Saints


PHOTO: Tregaron drive on against The Saints


Feature Match:


Division Three (West) A:


Saints regret missed chances


St Davids 12 - Tregaron 22

St Davids were left ruing missed opportunities as they let a strong start slip against Tregaron.

From the outset it was clear the home side's best chance of a win was to keep it tight up front, and they did just that in the opening 10 minutes and fashioned a lineout chance when No 10 Jack Jones booted a penalty to the corner.

Second row Gethin Bateman took clean ball and from the maul that followed, winger Josh Atherton latched on and burrowed over the line.

Jones was wide with the conversion and then frustratingly for the hosts, Tregaron struck from their first real attack when young No 10 Callum Wilson chipped through and then gathered to score, after a cruel bounce caught out St Davids full back Gavin Smith.

Saints fail to take advantage

Jones dragged a penalty chance wide before half time and despite a dominant set piece, The Saints failed to take advantage from early pressure in the second half before Tregaron turned the tide - winger Aled Jones finishing well after a break from centre Gethin Williams.

Wilson converted and soon it was 19-5 as Tregaron centre Rhydian Jones rounded off a series of slick off-loads to go under the posts. Wilson again did the honours.

The Saints got back into it late on when a series of pick and drives saw skipper Dan Murphy plough over - and from out wide Jones converted to reduce the deficit to seven points.

However, even the losing bonus point was then taken away from St Davids when a high tackle on Wilson in midfield gave the No 10 a chance from 30 metres out, and he landed it easily to seal a dogged away win.

"We were so dominant at the set piece but didn't take advantage," player-coach Bateman told

"There were positives from an improved performance and our fitness was better. But we feel like we threw away four points.”

St Davids: Gavin Smith, Josh Atherton, Luke Brooks, George Raymond, Zak Morgan, Jack Jones, Harvey Godkin, Dan Murphy (capt), Adam Williams, Will Davies, Gethin Bateman, Chris Jenkins, Emyr Wile, Rhys Price, Josh Strangward. Replacements: Ben Evans, Alex Richmond, Ray Owen, Fraser Watson, Tanapon Phumkhonsan.




Otters outgunned in Bedwas


Bedwas 38 - Narberth 13

Jo Hutchings - try in Narberth defeat at Bedwas Narberth travelled to unbeaten Bedwas and came back with nothing to show for a lot of effort against the second-placed village club near Caerphilly, who scored six tries to The Otters’ two at their Bridge Field stronghold.

Bedwas led 13-8 at the interval thanks to tries from full back James Hallett and hooker Michael Dacey alongside a Hallett penalty, The Otters responding with a try from winger Yannic Parker alongside a Nick Gale penalty.

Narberth added a second unconverted try through centre Jo Hutchings but Bedwas used their powerful back to add further tries from winger Josh Rees, prop Brynley Toms, flanker Craig Hudd and scrum half Owain Keane.

Dion McIntosh added a conversion and late penalty to comfortably settle the verdict in their favour and give them a played five, won five record, whilst The Otters slip to sixth place after two successive defeats.

Narberth: Nick Gale: Yannic Parker; Jo Hutchings; Jake Jenkins; Josh Davies:  Ianto Griffiths; Rhys Lane: Bradley Davies; Rhodri Owens; Tom Kaijaks: Jake Baker; Alex Jenkins: Ricard Rees (Capt); Dewi Williams; Roy Osborn. Replacements: Kyle Hamer; Dan Jacobs; Tom Powell; Jonathan Rogers; Lewys Gibby.

PHOTO: Jo Hutchings - try in Narberth defeat at Bedwas 


Division Two (West):


Seagulls’ match abandoned after 22 minutes


Burry Port 5 - Fishguard & Goodwick 0 

Fishguard & Goodwick’s match at Burry Port was called after 22 minutes when the referee, Dr Simon G Davies, sustained a leg injury which prevented him from continuing and the only replacement available was an official who actually lived in the Burry Port area.

So after some discussion between the teams Seagulls’ coaches Nathan and Steve Jenkins, in conjunction with skipper Chris Shousha, it was decided that play couldn’t be continued and the match will be replayed at a later date!

Fishguard & Goodwick: Robbie Jones, Dafydd Ridgeway, Rhys Evans, James Griffiths, Ed Bendall, Andrew Williams, Daniel Evans, Ryan McVeigh, Gavin Walsh, Andrew Morrillo, Richie Hunter, Ben John, Scott Riches, Mark George, Chris Shousha (capt). Replacements: Liam Wilkes, Ryan Foot, Will Delaney, Osian Lewis, Simon James.


Super Seasiders win again!


Tenby United 30 - Loughor 3

Andrew Cooke - two tries in Tenbys excellent winIt was comprehensive at Heywood Lane as the boot of Harry Rossiter and influence of flanker Andrew Cooke led Tenby to their second league win of the season.

The Seasiders actually trailed 0-3 early on but Rossiter soon levelled things up with a penalty, and then a tight first half swung Tenby’s way when centre Ben Pugh latched onto a miss pass in midfield and finished well from 30 metres.

Rossiter missed the conversion but then in the second half the young No 10, looking increasingly assured with every game, punished Loughor indiscipline by landing four consecutive penalty attempts to open up a 20-3 lead.

And as the home pack continued to starve the visitors of possession, the pressure inevitably told and it was Cooke who popped up out wide to beat two tacklers and score in the corner.

The home side saved their best till last though, as from a late penalty in their own 22 Rossiter tries a crossfield kick that winger Jack Gooding gathered before speeding 50 metres – and it was the durable Cooke who was again on hand to take the scoring pass and make the line.

“The boys are training well and gaining in confidence and they deserve this,” said coach Jonathan Evans.

It was also a good day for full back Lloyd Thomas, who tasted a win in his first ever game as captain with regular skipper Luke Dedman unavailable.

Tenby United: Lloyd Thomas (capt), Jack Gooding, Ben Pugh, Adam Quill, Jack Tucker, Harry Rossiter, Matthew Morgan, Ethan Morgan, Dan Allen, Rob Luly, Huw Evans, Harry Bolton, Jack Brown, Luke Hansford, Andrew Cooke. Replacements: Rob Clarke, Jim Brace, Wyndham Williams, Jimmy Davies, Matt Davies.

PHOTO: Andrew Cooke - two tries in Tenby's excellent win


Division Three (West) A:


Cardis slammed


St Clears 53 - Cardigan 0

Cardigan found the St Clears’ pack too much of a handful to manage at Parc Griffith Jones and after trailing by 29 points at the interval conceded another four tries after the break whilst unable to break their own points’ duck.

It was very much a one-sided affair as the Cardis scrum creaked from the outset and as a result the homesters were able score tries aplenty as pacy right winger Jason King led the way with the three of them.

Also crossing the whitewash were powerful No 8 Tomas Rees (2), full back Dan Williams, centre Mike Georgiou, left win Tom Windsor and fly half Dan Griffiths, who also added four conversions.

As a result, St Clears enjoyed a good day whilst it was certainly 80 minutes to forget for the beleaguered Teifisiders!



WRU Plate Round Two:


Preseli Men bow out against Llan pace and power


Llangennech 55 - Crymych 14

It was not a great day for Crymych in the WRU Plate as they were blown away in the first 40 minutes by Llangennech.

The Preseli Men were 36-0 down at the break and despite a better second half, were outplayed over the 80 minutes.

Home No 8 Jordan Saunders got the ball rolling with a try and others quickly followed from second row James Cartwright and centre Nathan Bowen. Winger Tom Davies converted the latter.

Davies also then added the extras to Cartwright’s second try, and then it was another winger in Tom Barnes who got in on the scoring, twice finish clinically. Davies added one more conversion for an almost unassailable half time lead.

Despite a yellow card to Barnes the onslaught continued in the second half when replacement second row Dan Moyle scored a try that Davies goaled, before the visitors finally had something to shout about via a penalty try.

Saunders added his second score though and hooker Mathew Bowen came off to the bench to also touch down, Davies adding two more points – but at least Randal Williams’ team kept going and had the final word when Hedd Davies grabbed a try that Adam Phillips converted.

But all in all this was a tie to forget for Crymych.


Borderers bow out in cup upset


Maesteg Celtic 27 Whitland 22 (After extra time – 17-17 after 80 minutes)

James Stephenson - try for WhitlandThere was an upset at Maesteg Celtic as the Division Two West Central side knocked out Whitland in a game that needed extra time.

The Borderers trailed 17-14 before Nico Setaro’s last gasp penalty forced an additional 20 minutes, but it was the hosts who eventually prevailed as they capitalised on a poor Whitland display.

Full back James Stephenson and winger Olly Hughes had scored tries in normal time for the away side with Setaro landing two conversions and a penalty, and then in the first of two added periods Geraint Jones, who only came into the squad on Saturday morning when Adam Davies withdrew, also touched down.

But it wasn’t enough as The Celtic had a penalty try to go with scores from Jonathan Davies and Kristian Jenkins, while Scott Sainsbury landed two penalties and two conversions to seal a huge result for the Bridgend side.

Whitland: James Stephenson, Olly Hughes, Jonathan Thomas, Josh Thomas, Aron Ebsworth, Nico Setaro, Jac Howells, Aaron Mayne, Gethin Lewis, Michael Ryan, Dai Ebsworth, Courtney Bowman, Ben Kirk, Jamie Lewis, James Thomas. Replacements: I Lewis, Tomos Lewis, Tom Finucane, Adam Davies, Josh Thomas.


PHOTO: James Stephenson - try for Whitland


WRU Bowl Round Two:


Blues bow out thanks to very late score


Llanybydder 25 - Haverfordwest 24

Rhys Baker - try brace for Haverfordwest full backHaverfordwest managed to grab defeat from the jaws of a seeming victory at Llanybydder

As they led by four points and at one stage were 24-13 in front.

But then home No 8 Richard Davies grabbed a try brace for the homesters at OJ Park, the second converted by Llyr Tobias from almost the final kick of the game to send a delighted home crowd and players in for a celebration.

Llyr Tobias opened Llanybydder’s scoring with a penalty and then notched another soon after Blues’ full back Rhys Baker rounded off some good hands with an unconverted try.

But as fortuned ebbed and flowed The Blues regained the initiative with an unconverted try and then established a 17-6 advantage when they were awarded a penalty try.

But right on half time Llanybydder replied with a close-range try from second row Josh Jones, converted by Tobias.

Rhys Baker then raced through for his second try, converted by Mikey Jones after good work by skipper Matty Phillips, hooker Jamie Zambas and second row Ashley James, making his Blues’ debut.

At this stage the omens seemed in The Blues’ favour but there were warning signs as home No 8 Davies powered over for an unconverted try – and he helped his side gain victory with his second try as Llyr Jones rounded off their very late come-back with that vital last-ditch conversion!

Haverfordwest: Rhys Baker, Unaia Balekinasiga, Dane Pindair, Mike Jones, Jake Evans, Craig Barnett, Elgan Roberts, Jonathan Clout, Jamie Zambas, Tom Carrington, Jack Clancy, Gareth Phillips, Gareth John, Matty Phillips (capt), Ashley George. Replacements: Tony Steiner, Ashley James, Jamie Barnett, Ethan Parsons, Matthew Clayton.


PHOTO: Rhys Baker - try brace for Haverfordwest full back


Terrific win North Wales by battling Laugharne


Owain Thomas - more points in Laugharnes big winWrexham 24 - Laugharne 25

All Laugharne’s reserved of grit and determination came to the fore as Gary Price’s squad overcame the long journey to North Wales and beat an experienced and powerful Wrexham team that clearly expected to move into the third round on the back of the fact that they were second in division two of the North Wales’ league.

But they reckoned without Laugharne’s pack quality and running rugby throughout the team, with Dorian Harries, Tom Waters and Rhys performing great things in the front row, ably assisted by Tomos Rees, Dai Thomas, Carl Smith, Mikey Williams, Carwyn Davies and Mikey Williams all performing heroically at different times.

So despite trailing by 10-0 early on from a converted try and penalty, Laugharne were still level at the break thanks to a try from No 10 Owain Thomas, converted by centre Tom Jameson to go with a well-struck penalty.

Wrexham opened their second-half account with a converted try and followed up with another seven-pointer but again The Laugharnees refused to submit and Owain Thomas sped through the cover defence to score another try, converted by Jameson.

With the game in its closing stages Thomas claimed a deserved hat-trick score but the conversion went wide and the visitors looked to bow out by two points. But with the referee looking at his watch No 10 Thomas was again on hand and he calmly dropped a goal to take Laugharne through. To the evident disappointment of the Wrexham team and supporters!

PHOTO: Owain Thomas - more points in Laugharne's big win


Aber’s long journey brings a welcome outcome


Newtown 7 - Aberaeron 23

Aberaeron showed why they are a good all-round side as they made the trek to Newtown and came back delighted to keep in the competition after beating a very big home side which tried hard to use its pack power to go through.

But they were matched by the Aberaeron pack, with second row Richard Evans, back after almost two years out with injury, and No 8 Lewis Tomlins to the fore, whose backs had that extra yard of pace which in the final analysis proved vital.

And once again the main scoring contributor was outside half Rhodri Jenkins with 18 points, grabbing a first half try alongside full back Rhodri Thomas and converting both as well as two successful penalties to help Aberaeron into a 20-0 interval lead.

But Newton’s forward power finally paid dividends when they were awarded a penalty try but home hopes of a come-back were squashed and a third penalty from Thomas set the seal on a cracking Aberaeron win which earned them entry into the third-round draw!