Rugby Reports - 25th September 2021 - by Bill Carne

 James Griffiths makes a break . . .

WRU District H1 Plate:


Aber win in cliff-hanger finish


Fishguard & Goodwick 25 - Aberystwyth 27

The large crowd at The Moors witnessed a cricket rugby match between Fishguard & Goodwick and Aberystwyth, with total commitment from both sides, high skill levels and pace – but the majority of those supporters would have been disappointed that The Seagulls had to settle for a bonus point against a well-organised Aber side which took their chances and made fewer mistakes.
Leading the way for the visitors was undoubtedly outside half Matthew Hughes, who steered his side with a calmness born of high skill levels, kicked very accurately out of the hand and scored a vital try.
The Seagulls were left to reflect on the fact that they had plenty of possession in the opposition 22 whereas Aber tries came from longer range – yet they deserve every credit for the way that they twice battled back with late tries and in the final analysis it was only a conversion miss from the last kick of the match that ultimately denied them a deserved share of the spoils.

Seagulls scare a cracking try – but Aber fight back well

Fishguard gifted Aber an early three points with a clear body-check in front of the referee that saw Hughes slot an easy left-foot penalty – but they fought back in style with some great work up front by Adam Bowen, Ben John, Gavin Walsh and Lewis Davies that saw outside half James Griffiths slice over at the pots for a cracking try he also converted.
The lead was short-lived however as Aber kept good control over eleven recycles of the ball up front before the ubiquitous Hughes glided through on a diagonal run to the line for an unconverted score.
Griffiths missed a Fishguard pen after Gwilym Hughes, Will Delaney, Ryan McVeigh and Ben John set up the platform – and when they lost possession in the Aber 22 they were punished in full as Charlie Thomas, Hughes  and Tommy Sandford sent centre Carwyn Evans clear for another unconverted try.
The Seagulls almost score right on half time from a forward drive guided by Chris Shousha and Walsh – but the ball was held up over the line and Aber cleared the danger to lead 13-7 at half time.

. . . And Griffiths scores a try

Seagulls draw level as they show their battling qualities

Fishguard started the second half with a successful Griffiths’ penalty but lost possession from the kick-off and Hughes put Carwyn Evans over for a try at the posts which the No 10 converted.
The Seagulls thought they had been awarded a penalty try after a deliberate knock-on in front of the posts but had to settle for a simple Griffiths penalty – but then hauled themselves level when pressure in the left corner saw flanker Walsh score a try which Griffiths converted with a towering kick from the touchline.
In a melee after the score referee Randall showed a red card to Ben John (Fishguard) and Lee Evans (Aberystwyth).

Aber regain the advantage and Fishguard come so close to a draw

But The Seagulls again lost the ball from the kick-off and Carwyn Evans rounded off some quick hands with a run to the posts and a spectacular dive before Hughes again converted.

It stirred Fishguard into renewed efforts which was a tribute to their fitness and skipper Chris Shousha rounded off some powerful drives with a try towards the left corner.
Griffiths’ conversion went agonisingly close but shaved the wrong side of the far posts and Aber celebrated a second win in two outings – whilst Fishguard had to face up to a first defeat after two good wins.
Fishguard & Goodwick: Mark Jones: Jo Dunn; Rhys Evans; Sion Rowlands; Robbie Jones: James Griffiths; Max Jones: Ryan McVeigh; Will Delaney; Adam Bowen: Gwilym Evans; Ben John: Lewis Davies; Gavin Walsh; Chris Shousha (Capt). Replacements: Iwan McVeigh; Simon James; Creegan Foot; Ed Bendall; Andrew Morrillo.
Aberystwyth: Dylan Benjamin; Steffan Rees; Tommy Sandford; Carwyn Evans; Ben Jones: Matthew Hughes; Charlie Thomas: William Caron Lewis; Owain Bosnall; Guto Jones: Arwel Lloyd; Dorian Jones: Bryn Sheppard; Steffan Rattray; Lee Evans. Replacements: Iestyn Thomas; Rhodri Evans; Robbie Parry; Paul Stubbs; Ian Ellis.

Referee: Ryan Randall (Llanelli).

Skipper Chris Shousha on the burst

Scarlets too strong in the first half


Pembroke 32 - Tenby United 23

Pembroke resisted a staunch fight-back by Tenby United at Crickmarren after they had outplayed The Seasiders in the first half to lead  20-6 and added a further seven points almost straight after the resumption.
But the very large crowd in attendance enjoyed action aplenty from then on as the visitors hauled themselves back to trail 23-27 before The Scarlets had the final word in an absorbing clash.
Coach Geraint Lewis was delighted to include two 18 year olds in his squad as Evan Sheldon played in the second row and Tom Zoogha fitted in at prop – and new No 10 Luke Alderwick, who has come to the county from Kent, opened the scoring from a break by centre Fraser James to be on hand for a try which he also converted.
Lloyd Thomas responded with a penalty for Tenby but The Scarlets had two penalties on target by Alderwick before Jones slotted his second penalty for the Seasiders – and then Fraser James went over for The Scarlets second try, again goaled by Alderwick.
Pembroke also began the second half with a bang when Kyle Wetherall, on for injured skipper Scott Powell, powered over at the posts for Alderwick to add the extra points.

Lloyd Jones landed his third Tenby penalty and tries came from Ethan Morgan and Jack Tucker, both converted by Lloyd Jones, to set up a nervy finale for Pembroke, who finally put the game to bed when centre Tom Lewis spotted a gap and put winger Tom Harding-Jones in for The Scarlets’ fourth try and a deserved bonus point.

Try time - Fraser James scores for Pembroke. Picture Susan McKehon

Borderers beat The Mariners at The Obs


Milford Haven 5 - Whitland 28

Scott Newton - used all four methods of scoring for WhitlandAfter two successive defeats Whitland finally broke their duck as they travelled to The Obs and came away with a deserved bonus-point victory over Milford Haven, who were rarely able to play the way they would have liked as The Borderers played some very good quality rugby.
Dan Newton certainly called the shots as he linked well with scrum half Josh Thomas and after The Borderers had claimed unconverted tries by full back Jonathan Thomas and left winger Matthew Tate he scored a good try himself and also added a penalty and dropped goal – and a second half conversion of an early try by Trystan Rees saw him go through the points’ scoring range!
For The Mariners there was just a try by new flanker Josh Hamer but they fielded a relatively young side which will benefit from the experience.
Whitland had experience up front from players of the calibre of Dai Ebsworth, skipper Marc Jones, Raff Williams and Jack Mason, who had to go off injured and was replaced by Dan Evans, with the likes of Tom Finucane, Trystan Lewis, Jack Richards and James Lewis involved – and coach Gareth Bennett will be encouraged by this performance.

WRU Bowl District H1 Cup:


Tomos takes Cardigan to comfortable Bierspool win


Pembroke Dock Harlequins 0 - Cardigan 31

Tomos Taylor - 2 tries for CardiganCardigan No 8 Tomos Taylor certainly led his team by example as he was involved in some quality defence but also found time to open the scoring with a try as early as the fourth minute and also rounded off the scoring with The Teifisiders’ fifth try.
But this was a solid all-round team performance against a Quins team that rarely fired on all cylinders although there was a promising performance by Thomas Wheeler.
Cardigan were good value for a 19-0 interval lead, although The Quins might have picked up a few points but for basic handling errors – with the visitors’ tries in that first period coming from centre Emyr Harries and scrum half Callum James, both converted by No 10 Llyr Jones
The second half was more even as The Quins covered well but Harries sliced through for his second score and Taylor rounding the try scoring as Llyr Jones added a third conversion as The Teifisiders collected their second win from three outings and The Quins suffered their second defeat from three matches.

Pembrokeshire Knock Out Cup – First Round:


Saints struggle against classy Crymych backs


St Davids 0 - Crymych 72

Tomos Phillips played well for CrymychThis was always going to be a bridge too far for St Davids but at least they managed to raise 19 players for their squad, which pleased coach Gethin Bateman, who turned out in the second row.
He was also pleased with the debut of second row Ethan Griffiths and young Harvey Godkin, in only his second match at full back, whilst Zac Morgan tried hard at scrum half and skipper Rhys Price was everywhere in defence and tried to get some attacks under way.
Crymych backs are a pacy bunch and they managed to score all 12 of their team’s tries as up front a lot of promise was shown by prop Jonathan Phillips, No 8 Osian Davies and youth second row Rhydian Howells.
There were hat-tricks from left winger Declan Harries, inside centre Ilan Phillips and outside half William Hill, who took his personal tally to 27 points with six conversions, with others coming from outside centre Tomos Phillips, full back Adam Phillips and scrum half Ianto Davies to complete their points glut.
Referee: Joseph Kiff (Llangwm), who had a good game with his quiet but firm control.