Rugby Reports - 16th April 2022

Kyle Hamer on a burst. Picture Behind The Lens Media 


Pembrokeshire Knockout Cup Quarter-Finals:


Crymych go through as The Mariners make costly mistakes


Milford Haven 0 - Crymych 11

Crymych battled their way to victory at The Observatory Field despite the efforts of home side Milford Haven in a quality KO Cup quarter-final watched by a good crowd on a lovely day made for running rugby.
And although there were only 11 points scored it was a very competitive and enjoyable contest where The Mariners will look back on not taking their chances, and opting for kicks to the corner instead of shots at goal, as well as making errors quickly punished by the referee.
For Crymych, it was a disciplined display where they had to sometimes defend for spells in their 22 but they tackled superbly and were quick to counter-attack from range.
They took the lead after five minutes with a penalty down the slope from full back Adam Phillips, off the far post - and they added an excellent try shortly afterwards from a Ianto Davies break down the left, followed by powerful surges from the likes of Gethin Gibby before play was switched to the right corner and teenage winger Iolo Phillips squeezed in on his debut.

Steve Martin in full flight. Picture Behind The Lens Media

Adam Phillips missed the conversion but slotted another penalty, although he missed an easier chance in the second half.
For Milford there was a good run from Ieuan Davies but The Mariners were pinged for an offence in the ruck, as they were when replacement prop Aaron Mayne went close with a powerful drive – with Dan McClelland and Steve Martin trying unsuccessfully to use centres Dan Birch and Dan Jenkins, plus the pace of winger Lee Riley.
It looked as if Crymych might add to their tally with a late penalty from Adam Phillips but he put his kick wide – although it mattered little because The Preseli Men knew they could return home looking forward to a home semi-final tussle against old rivals Whitland.
Milford Haven: Keirion Grey: Lee Riley; Dan Jenkins; Dan Birch; Ieuan Davies: Steve Martin; Dan McClelland: Ben Jenkins; Luke Ryan; Rhys Davies: Zac Davies; Trystan Lewis: Zac France-Miller; Dewi Williams (Capt); Kyle Hamer. Replacements: Josh Palmer; Jimmy Buirds; Dylan Evans; Dean McSparron; Chris Williams; Madders Ivanovitch; Aaron Mayne.
Crymych: Adam Phillips: Iolo Phillips; Gethin Gibby; Ifan Phillips; Ianto Davies: Gavin Thomas; Dafydd Phillips: Aled Hughes; Carwyn Rees; Jonathan Phillips: Llyr Davies; Rhys Davies: Osian Davies; Dafydd Gibby; Rhydian Howells. Replacements:  Tomos Davies; Meirion Davies; Carwyn Phillips; Deiniol Mathias.

Crymych cover well, as they did all game Picture Behind The Lens Media

Action aplenty at Bierspool. Picture William John

Quins spring a surprise on The Blues


Pembroke Dock Harlequins 17 - Haverfordwest 13

Pembroke Dock Harlequins claimed the surprise result so far in this year’s Knockout Cup competition as they beat a Haverfordwest side who are unbeaten in league matches and travelled to Bierspool with high hopes of victory – but faced a determined Quins’ side superbly led by player/coach Jack Price, who scored two tries in the first half as his team led 14-0.
The Quins had shown their spirit in a 17-11 defeat at Haverfordwest and in front of a large crowd they really took play to The Blues as Price stood out with his midfield pace and power as defenders tried to tackle him high and were brushed off in his way to the line.
Both were converted by young No 10 Euan McDonald, who was also off-target with two difficult long-range attempts, and the Quins almost scored a third try late in the period as Sam ‘Rasher’ made a break but was hauled down in the 22 – and the Quins opted for a lineout drive which was well defended by The Blues.
Haverfordwest were clearly on top in the set scrums but they failed to turn that pressure into points, despite the efforts of Karl Busch, Lewis Tingay and skipper Matty Phillips – but raised supporters’ hopes straight after the oranges as they brought on coach Matthew John, who linked well with outside half Johnny White and gave the scoring pass to Jack Evans for an unconverted corner try.
Haverfordwest brought on some of the experienced forwards they had on their bench and they inevitably made an impact, but their plans were somewhat halted when The Quins suffered a front-row injury and the game went to uncontested scrums.
But The Blues still had sufficient fire-power to reduce the deficit with a penalty from full back Jake Morgan and Matthew John added a second try as he sidestepped and powered his way to the line for a try where the conversion was short of the mark.
Haverfordwest replacement Archie Thomas was off-target with a long-range effort that would have given them the lead and Euan McDonald showed the value of a key place kicker by coolly slotting a penalty from the last kick of the match to give The Quins victory and earn them a semi-final at home to Aberystwyth.
Pembroke Dock Harlequins: Thomas Wheeler:  Kobie Thomas; Jack Price; Gethin Bradney; Jamie Hughes: Euan McDonald; Ollie Lewis: Jack Davies; Dan McCloud; Kieran Cookson: Ben Gibby; Sam James: Hywel Baker; Liam Scourfield; Jordan Palmer.
Replacements: Kieran Machin: Harry Owens; Aaron James; Danny Wilkes.
Haverfordwest: Jake Morgan: Rhys Baker; Jack Codd; Jack Bushell Jack Evans: Johnny White; Owen Hamer: Dan Berry; Ieuan Bevan; Tom Carrington: Karl Busch; Gareth John: Matty Phillips (Capt); Adam Williams; Lewis Tingay. Replacements: Jack Clancy; Jonathan Clout; Jamie Zambas; Matthew John; Archie Thomas; Luke Eden.

Blues defend in numbers as Quins press forward. Picture William John

Championship Division:


Great last-quarter come-back by The Otters


Maesteg Quins 23 - Narberth 30

George McDonald - another two tries for Narberth No 9Ashley Sutton - a good try brace for The OttersNarberth showed their battling qualities against Maesteg Quins as they found themselves 20-3 adrift going into the final quarter but managed to score five tries in the time left to not only snatch victory but pouch a bonus point into the bargain.
The Otters were 13-3 adrift at half time as Nick Gale landed a penalty and The Quins scored a try by centre Brandon Huntley alongside the conversion and two penalties by Tighe McGurkin.
Huntley added a second score, which was converted by McGurkin, who also kicked a three-pointer later on to help secure a bonus point for the homesters – but The Otters grabbed five excellent tries, with a brace apiece from outstanding No 9 George McDonald and winger Ashley Sutton, plus another by Josh Davies, with one converted by Gale as hit the woodwork twice and shaved the upright on two other occasions.
But it mattered little because The Otters were home and dry – and head coach Sean Gale must have been delighted at the resilience shown by his entire squad!
Narberth: Nick Gale: Ashley Sutton; Josh Davies; Joe Hutchings; Aled Rees: Jonathan Rogers; George McDonald: Bradley Davies; Rhodri Owens; Tom Slater: Ryan Evans; Alex Jenkins: Caine Rees Jones; Josh Hamer; Richard Rees (Capt). Replacements: Tom Clarke; Dan Smith, Steff Phillips; Will Hughes; Jake Jenkins.

Division Three (West) A:


Saints gain first point – and just miss out on a victory!


St Davids 17 - Llanybydder 17

Last game for Gethin Bateman, St Davids long-serving player and coachSt Davids played their final home game of a difficult season against Llanybydder and came away with a draw after a typically hard-fought tussle but it could have been a win as The Saints led 17-12 with just minutes remaining but they conceded a try to replacement second row John Evans, back after a long spell out injured, and had to hold their breath as the conversion by Llyr Tobias which would have inflicted defeat in coach Gethin Bateman’s last home match at the helm.
Bateman has given great service to The Saints as player and coach – and was as hard-working in the second row as part of a pack in which Nathan Foster was outstanding in defence alongside Rhys Price and George Raymond, who had to switch from centre to No 8 in the second half but still caught the eye.
Llanybydder certainly played their part in an entertaining match and they led 12-10 at half time through tries from centre Rhys Morris and prop Dafydd Williams, one converted by Tobias.
Centre Gavin Jenkins opened The Saints’ account with a penalty and he also converted a good try by busy scrum half Zac Morgan – and Jenkins also added the extras to a try by open-side flanker Foster to nudge The Saints in front.
Both teams had chances and with five minutes to go St Davids’ hardy band of supporters were hopeful of a first win – but Evans ploughed over from a period of pressure and they had to settle for a share of the spoils!
St Davids: Harvey Godkin: Norman Price; Gavin Jenkins; George Raymond; Morgan Davies: Owen Swain; Zac Morgan: Ben Evans; Rhys Price; Dan Murphy: Gethin Bateman; Adam Williams: Kieran Jones; Nathan Foster; Aled Davies. Replacements: Andrew Groves; Sol Almond; Aaron Foster; Scott Candler; Ollie Owen.