October 7th 2023 - Pembrokeshire KO Cup and Plate Competition Reports

Pembroke beat Crymych Development squad under lights at Crickmarren 


KO Cup:


Scarlets secure semi-final spot against Crymych youngsters


Pembroke 38 - Crymych Development Squad 0

Referee: Tom Carew (Milford Haven)
Pembroke moved smoothly into the KO Cup semi-finals as a result of this comfortable win over a Crymych Development Squad making its first appearance at this level and finding it hard going, especially in the scrums, where they were regularly shunted back by the experienced Scarlets’ eight.
To fair to the Preseli Men, they were likely to be under the cosh up front because under the rules of the competition teams in the championship are unable to play anyone who has played this season at this level – and having already used 31 players on at least one occasion they did well to field a team, albeit one where no-one never shirked a tackle but where the home side were already 24 points to the good.

Scarlets’ pack provided a powerful platform

The Scarlets opened their account after earning a penalty via their pack power and from the resultant lineout drive referee Tom Martin spotted an indiscretion in defence and awarded them a penalty try.
Crymych were reduced to 14 men and things got worse as they were jetted backwards at a scrum on half way and Pembroke went blind and quick hands allowed No 10 Luke Alderwick to cut inside and score a try which he also converted.
From the kick off the homesters almost added a third try but pacy winger Barry Alderman-John was held up just short – although they soon increased their points tally with some superb handling by forwards and backs in the far corner before second row Craig Williamson scored a try which Alderwick again converted from wide out before also slotting a penalty after 35 minutes.

Preseli Men never give up but are heavily out-gunned where it counted

It says much for Crymych’s determination that they also went close on occasions but took the wrong final options or knocked on – and Will Edwards almost added a fourth Pembroke try with pace aplenty for a second row but great Crymych cover defence saved the day.
They were unable to stem the tide however as a clever Alderwick cross-kick allowed full back Rhys Bradney to score in the bottom right corner and again Alderwick slotted the touchline conversion.
Replacement forward Robin Badham rounded off the Pembroke try-scoring and Alderwick maintained his outstanding place-kicking to take his team into the last four.
Victory was no more than Pembroke deserved from an excellent performance but both teams played at a terrific pace and with loads of powerful tackling they provided an entertaining spectacle that was a credit to their clubs – and Crymych could take a measure of consolation from the fact that this was invaluable experience for their young players and the final scoreline didn’t do justice to their efforts!
Pembroke: Rhys Bradney: Josh Griffiths; Jayden Evans; Steve Brown; Barry Alderman-John: Luke Alderwick; Ellis Lewis: Lloyd Davies (Capt); Sean Beynon; Jamie Brayford: Craig Williamson; Will Edwards: Jack Fielding; Taylor Gullam; Rhodri Walters. Replacements: Evan Phillips; Johnny Palmer; Robin Badham; Andrew Evans; Nathan Mounter; Zac Evans; Tommy John.
Crymych: Dylan Thomas: Hedd George; Declan Harries; Elgan Wilson; Will Boulton: Tomos Rees; Owain Rees (Capt): Richard Phillips; Jack Owen; Jonathan Phillips: Aled Hughes; Steffan Davies: Griff Lloyd; Gruffydd Williams; Sion Wilson. Replacements: Connah Rushby; Iwan Laugharne; Rhys Davies; Steffan Morris; Owain Davies; Sion Evans; Steff Rees.

Narberth Development Squad

Young Otters defy Quins’ comeback


Pembroke Dock Harlequins 14 - Narberth Development Squad 27

Narberth’s talented development squad moved a step closer to a second successive KO Final with this hard-fought victory over a Pembroke Dock Harlequins side which trailed early on to two well-worked tries and battled back later in the game before The Young Otters had the final word.
But it was The Otters’ experienced campaigner Shane Rossiter who guided them to victory at Bierspool as he amassed 19 points with a try, four conversions and a penalty.
The Quins suffered a blow when key second row Liam Scourfield suffered a strain in the pre-match warm-up but tried to play and had to leave the field after only five minutes, replaced by Alex Boswell - and Narberth took an early lead as Jac Norcross scored a try which Rossiter converted; as he did soon afterwards when No 8 Sam Davies ploughed through to give them a 14-point lead after a little more than 10 minutes.

Quins fight back but suffer silly set-backs

It says much for the Quins’ resolve that they didn’t cave in and good work up front by Jack Mallitte, Andrew Edwards, Harry Owen and skipper Jordan Palmer set up the platform from which quick hands by their backs allowed centre Aaron John slice through and Ben Hathaway converted via the upright.
But then The Quins conceded two silly penalties which Rossiter goaled and The Young Otters led by 20-7 at half time.
The Quins started the second half well and they reduced the deficit when centre Gethin Bradney put winger Tom Donovan away on a 40-metre run to the line where he showed his genuine pace – and Hathaway added the extra points.
But their hopes of a comeback were scotched as the Narberth Development squad settled things down and Rossiter chipped in with an excellent try and conversion before Sam Davies added his second try as part of his man of the match performance, with Rossiter again on target with the conversion.
It was appropriate that The Quins managed a third try when Donovan’s clever kick ahead allowed Bradney to cross the whitewash, although Euan McDonald was off-target with the conversion.
It mattered little, though, because The Young Otters were good value for victory and take their place in the last four alongside Pembroke, with both eagerly awaiting the results of the two remaining last-eight clashes as Tenby United take on Haverfordwest and Aberaeron entertain Aberystwyth, both on dates to still be confirmed.
Pembroke Dock Harlequins:  Ben Hathaway: Owain Turner; Gethin Bradney; Aaron James; Tom Donovan: Euan McDonald; Tom Wheeler: Rhys Spencer; Jack Hagan;  Mark Van Rhyn; Liam Scourfield: Andrew Edwards: Jack Mallitte; Jordan Palmer (Capt); Harry Owen. Replacements: Alfie Ball; Rhys Davies; Callum Jones; Alex Boswell; George Bellamine; Rhys Doyle; Jayden Walker; Kieran Cookson.
Narberth Development Squad:  Backs: Harri Harries; Shane Norcross; Will Davies; Llyr Miles; Shane Rossiter; Lewys Thomson;  Jake Philpin; Ryan Scourfield; Jack Tucker. Forwards: Declan Cole; Jack Norcross; Rhys Jenkins; Stephen Pilot; Gareth Clifford; Dan Owen; Tom Parcells; Lewis Reed; Wil Nicholas; Harry Harries; Ryan Cole; Sam Davies; Yori Morgan; Morgan Rees; Steve Thomas.

KO Plate:


Borderers too strong as Saints run out of steam


Whitland 45 - St Davids 12

Geraint Jones - played well for WhitlandWhitland moved into the semi-finals of the Plate competition after a strong second half display against St Davids.
Leading just 14-7 at half time, and then 21-12 midway through the second half, the Borderers cut loose in the final quarter to finish with seven tries as the Saints appeared to tire late one.
It was the Division Three West A side who came out firing at kick-off though, Bob Froy breaking clear and chipping ahead with Whitland winger Morgan Lewis duly yellow carded for tacking him late. From the pressure that followed, outstanding skipper and flanker Nathan Foster buried over from close range and Aaron Foster converted.
Whitland responded and after away second row James Goldsmith also saw yellow, No 8 Zac France-Miller peeled off a line out drive to score and Geraint Jones converted superbly from out wide. At the other end, No 10 Foster was then wide with a penalty attempt.
And the hosts then went in at the break ahead as winger Will James finished well in the corner, Jones again nailing the extras.

Borderers rule the second-half roost

Young centre Rhys Nicholas cut over early in the second half for Jones to covert again, but the visitors stayed in it as Foster’s chip forward was spilled and winger Patrick Bamford pounced on the loose ball.
But the final stages were one-way traffic as winger Lewis did well to latch onto a cross-field kick from outside half Scott Newton, influential throughout, to score out wide - before referee Chris Oliver awarded Whitland a penalty try when Charlie Lavin infringed on the Saints’ try line, the lock sin-binned for his troubles.
Jones then darted under the posts before adding the extras himself, and replacement Owen Griffiths rounded off scoring before the final whistle.
“To be fair St Davids came and gave us a hard first half, they got stuck into us,” said Whitland player-coach Jonathan Thomas afterwards.
“We knew they would. But second half we looked to play a bit wider and spread the ball about and the boys did that, and in the last 20 minutes we pulled away.”
Whitland’s reward is to join Llangwm and Milford Haven (both of whom had byes in this round) in the last four alongside either Cardigan or Neyland, the other teams involved in this round but yet to meet each other.