Rugby Reports 7th April 2017

Pembroke Dock Harlequins drive on against Llangwm

Pembroke Dock Harlequins drive on against Llangwm

Feature Match:
Division Three (West) A:


15-man Quins win well at Pill Parks

Llangwm 10 - Pembroke Dock Harlequins 41

There was action aplenty at Pill Parks as Llangwm played their final home game of the season against Pembroke Dock Harlequins, who crossed the Cleddau Bridge with only 15 players and with the need for uncontested scrums.

The Quins had won 67-7 at Bierspool but there was little evidence of such another heavy Wasps’ defeat as they led 10-5 at the break and showed they are beginning to recoup players since they had five subs on the bench and took an early lead with a crisp Luke Hayman penalty.

But what the Quins lacked numerically they made up for in commitment as Adam Cawley, on permit for the day from Neyland made a break and skipper Thomas Doyle ploughed over the line.

Their lead was short-lived, however, as Llangwm’s almost certain player of the year Josh Hicks made a typically straight burst and reached the line for Hayman to add the extra points.

But whatever Quins’ coach Ossie Boswell said at half time it certainly worked because his team grabbed three tries in an eight-minute burst as Doyle added his second and others were scored by Aaron Cookson, Doyle and Rhys Bradney, the first and third converted by Doyle to open up a 24-10- lead.

Then Cawley sniped away from a quickly-taken penalty but missed the conversion - although  it mattered little because Cookson ran through for his second try, this time converted by Crawley, and James Skeels rounded off the Quins’ scoring towards the end.

Llangwm: Steve Picton: Dan Chesmer; Gavin Jenkins; Gavin Smith; Dan Morgan: Luke Hayman; Ian Griffiths: Dan Hughes; Gethin Thomas; Dan Davies-Breeze: Jason Mock;  Gavin Jones: John O’Boyle; James Lewis (Capt); Josh Hicks. Replacements: Robbie Neill; Aled Morgan; Rhodri Devonald; John Whitticombe; Rhys Morgan.
Pembroke Dock Harlequins: James Skeels: Will Nicot; Jake Griffiths; Thomas Doyle (Capt); Rhys Bradney: Aaron Cookson; Adam Cawley: Jack Davies; George Bellmaine; Jordan Palmer: Jack Brown; Sam James: Hywel Baker; Harry Owen; Steff Hallwood.

Adam Cawley grabs an early try for The Quins

Adam Cawley grabs an early try for The Quins


Division One (West):


Preseli Men maintain their super league form

Llangennech 12 - Crymych 19

Crymych coach Randall Williams - delighted by recent resultsCrymych maintained their excellent run of recent form as they travelled to fifth-placed Llangennech and came away with another morale-boosting performance that will have pleased coach Randall Williams.

The Preseli Men started really well, with their front row of Zac France-Miller, Lee Griffiths and Steffan Harries ensuring a rock-steady platform which allowed half backs Gareth Davies and Jake Jenkins to probe for openings and keep their pack going forward.

The ploy certainly worked because they scored two cracking tries from flankers Sion Colella and Guto Davies, who formed a superb back row unit with Osian Davies. Both were converted by young centre Ifan Phillips, who also played well in defence and posed a threat with ball in hand.

Llangennech missed a golden chance to at least get three points on the board before the oranges but with the last kick of the half outside half Josh Hammett failed with a simple penalty.

But full back Tom Barnes hauled the homesters back into the game with a solo try before Crymych answered in the best possible way with a try where skipper Rhys ‘Beaky’ Davies and Richard Sharp-Williams had been involved although for once Phillips was unable to pouch the extra points.

Llangennech tried really hard to mount more offensives but all they could muster was a second Barnes’ try which Hammett goaled – but the Crymych defence stayed strong and this excellent team victory was well deserved!

Crymych coach Randall Williams - delighted by recent results


Seasiders complete the double over basement battlers

Tenby United 47 - Tycroes 5

Roy Osborne - try brace for Tenbys back-rowerTenby United completed the double over bottom club as they followed up a narrow 12-8 win at Cae Gelli earlier in the season with this resounding seven-try demolition job where forwards and backs conspired to play some good rugby.

The match was almost as good as won by the interval, where The Seasiders led 21-0 thanks to tries by hooker Luke Hansford, back rower pat Roberts and winger Yannic Parker, all converted by Craig Barnett.

Roy Osborn’s terrific support work saw him open the second-half scoring and then a smart double-dummy by scrum half Matthew Morgan allowed him to race through before Barnett converted.

Then Tycroes managed an unconverted try by centre Matthew Lemon but they had few other chances to add to that score as Tenby turned the screw even further as Ethan Morgan, Joe Poole and Huw Evans had provides solidity in the set-pieces and Luke Dedman ruled the roost at the lineout.

Further tries fell to Jordan Asparassa, converted by Barnett, and a second for Osborn right in the corner which Barnett managed to convert as the icing on the Seasiders’ cake!

Roy Osborne - try brace for Tenby's back-rower


Division Two (West):


Borderers down Seagulls and grab a vital bonus point

Whitland 28 - Fishguard & Goodwick 7

Jack Mason - played really well for WhitlandWhitland had to work hard for this win over a gritty Fishguard and Goodwick side on a Parc Llwyn Ty Gwyn pitch inevitable on the heavy side and preventing both teams from their usual brand of running rugby.

But The Borderers were always looking in control once winger Sean Coles raced away for the opening try, converted by skipper Nick Setaro. With useful cameos by flanker Ryan Morgan and Jack Mason up front, plus No 9 Tom Parry and centres Scott Lloyd and Josh Thomas looking strong in defence, they added a second try as Mason again featured on the scoresheet and Setaro landed the conversion.

The Seagulls showed their strength, even in the absence of skipper Gavin Walsh, with a push over try by Mark George after Luke Freebury, Chris Shusha and young players Robbie Jones and Rhys Evans caught the eye, with Andrew Williams adding the conversion.

The second period followed a similar pattern as Fishguard battled away but The Borderers secured success with further scores from Coles and Scott Lloyd, the latter earning a considerable cheer because it secured that all-important extra point as they continue to pursue Hendy in the race for the silverware.

Jack Mason - played really well for Whitland


Division Three (West) A:


Mariners gain deserved revenge

Milford Haven 17 - Haverfordwest 7

Jamie Lewis - vital try for Milford against his former clubMilford Haven turned in powerful display to beat old rivals Haverfordwest at The Obs.

It was The Blues who made the better start and they should have taken the lead when they worked an overlap out wide, but the scoring pass to winger Steve Thomas went to ground.

They also twice opted to go for a close range set-piece from penalties but The Mariners held out, before away No 10 Liam Manwaring chose to go for the posts from a third penalty, but pushed his effort wide from 20 metres out.

And it was impressive home scrum half Dan McClelland who made them pay when he landed three points from 35 metres to put his team ahead.

The Milford pack then seized control of possession as prop Mike Cockburn, flanker Ben Groves and veteran No 8 Mark Wonnacott all featured heavily with some charging runs, but try chances were few and far between as the first half ended 3-0 to the home side.

But on a heavy pitch at The Obs, Alan McClelland’s side extended their lead in the second half when they drove The Blues back at a close range scrum, and referee Adrian Lewis awarded a penalty try after deciding the away side had halted their push for the line illegally.

And The Mariners pressed home their advantage after a barn-storming run from replacement winger Jonathan Fawcett set up the platform from which centre Jamie Lewis sped over out wide to score against his former club – and McClelland added the conversion from right on the touchline.

The Blues kept battling though, and after replacement Ryan Mansell and flanker Archie Smithies had been yellow carded for Milford, they had the final word when young centre Elgan Roberts cut over by the posts.

But it wasn’t enough for the visitors to take a losing bonus point, and it was The Mariners who celebrated ending a long wait for a win over their rivals with a result that keeps them firmly in second place in the table!
Prior to the game, a minute's silence was held in memory of Philipa 'Pop's Joseph, a long-time supporter of Milford Haven RFC who sadly died last week. Pembrokeshire Sport sends full condolences to her family and friends.

Milford Haven: Jimmy Thomas, Matthew Reynolds, Craig Thomas, Jamie Lewis, Dan Jenkins, Craig Thomas, Lee Riley, Dan McClelland, Mike Cockburn, Luke Ryan, Adam Rees (capt), Chris Hall, Dai Sweeny, Ben Groves, Archie Smithies, Mark Wonnacott.
Replacements: David Round, Dewi Williams, Leigh Broome, Jonathan Fawcett, Ryan Mansell.

Haverfordwest: Ollie Hughes, Rhys Baker, Elgan Roberts, Gareth Owen (capt), Steve Thomas, Liam Manwaring, Lee Summons, Ben Llewellyn, Jamie Zambass, Tom Carrington, Gareth Phillips, Karl Busch, Dan John, Morgan Layton, Kyle Williams.
Replacements: Cole Barry, Will Davies, Josh Atherton, Adam Williams, Gareth Richards.
Referee: Adrian Lewis (Llanelli).

Jamie Lewis - vital try for Milford against his former club


Scarlet runners too strong for Cardis

Pembroke 49 - Cardigan 20

Sam Smith - another four tries for Pembroke powerhouse No 8A Pembroke side superbly led by Scott Powell after the disappointment of defeat the previous weekend in the WRU Bowl Competition showed what a strong unit the Scarlets are as they maintained top spot by running in nine tries against a gritty Cardigan side in which their slipper John Lumb also looked good with 15 points to his credit.

The travesty of Cardiff University being allowed to play several players who regularly appear in the championship division for teams like Cardiff spoilt the Scarlets’ dream of a visit to the Principality Stadium but again they showed their strength in depth here as coach Geraint Lewis gave a run out to young players like Rhys Mainwaring, Alex Thomas and Rhodri Thomas.

Half backs Toby Smith and Tom Lewis controlled play well but The Scarlets could only manage a 17-10 interval lead after opening up with a try by winger Barry John after a blind-side pass by No 9 Lewis, followed by the first of Sam Smith’s four tries which Sion Dalling converted.

But then Lumb slotted his penalty and added the extras to his own interception interception try before Pembroke pocketed their third try as Sam Smith scored after a charged-down clearance.

It was in the third quarter that The Scarlets really took the game by the scruff of the neck as Johnny Palmer, Jim Brace and Lloyd Davies provided the platform in the tight, with Brace scoring a rare try before Barry John sped over for his second try sandwiched neatly between two more for the ubiquitous Sam Smith, the second converted by Dalling.

To be fair to The Teifisiders they never gave up trying and had tries from Lumb and No 8 Sion Harries
Replacements Ryan Wilkins and Cyle Weatherall both got their names on the Scarlets’ try sheet; the first from a length-of-the-field move and the second another quality try after handling between forwards and backs – and Pembroke showed why they are favourites to take the section trophy.

Sam Smith - another four tries for Pembroke powerhouse No 8

Bonus point win for Aberaeron

Aberaeron 29 - Tregaron 0

Aberaeron were good value for victory over Tregaron in the battle of the Cardigan Bay clubs, picking up a bonus point as they ran in five tries, two of them converted by Rhodri Jenkins as they also defended well to keep their line intact when they tried counter-attacks.

Jenkins also claimed a try alongside full back Morgan Llewellyn (2) and his brother Dafydd, to give Aberaeron supporters good value for victory.



Otters halted by waterlogged pitch

Narberth v Tata Steel

This fascinating clash between these top two sides was called off at the Lewis Lloyd Ground after heavy overnight rain.