Rugby Reports 27th January 2018

Milford Haven RFC 


Milford Haven RFC

​Llangwm RFC

Llangwm RFC

Dan McClelland runs hard for Milford

Mariners centre Dan Jenkins is hauled down


Division Three (West) A: 


Mariners pouch a bonus-point

Llangwm 12 - Milford Haven 34

Dan McClelland runs hard for MilfordMilford Haven gained their expected bonus-point win on the seconds’ pitch at Pill Parks to keep them on top of the table, but not before they had faced stout resistance from a Llangwm team which tackled like demons, never conceded an inch and whose efforts were finally rewarded with two late tries.

The game was played on the seconds’ pitch because of the heavy conditions, with Milford having first use of the slight slope and increasing breeze, and as a result enjoying a huge territorial advantage but perhaps overdoing the power-based stuff, rather than using their outside pace.

Superb early defence from The Wasps

As a result they battered at The Wasps’ line but superb defence, ably led by a back row of James Reynolds, Ashley James and Josh Hicks, kept the marauding Mariners out for some time.

Wasps’ centres James Lewis and Dan Chesmer made some huge hits and after one promising Mariners’ attack had been turned over there was a terrific surge out of defence by home hooker Gethin Thomas. Props Ieuan Power and Dan Davies-Breeze were also in the thick of things whilst half backs Ian Griffiths and Luke Hayman always tried to utilise hard-won possession in kicking out of defence.

Milford pressure finally pays off

But in the final analysis the huge territorial advantage enjoyed by Milford was bound to bring points and they finally opened their scoring when young half backs Evan organ and Dan McClelland spread play wide and quick hands from Jimmy Thomas and Dan Jenkins saw full back Lee Riley cross in the top corner – although he sustained a dead leg in the process and was replaced by Craig Barnett, playing on permit from Tenby.

The visitors’ second score followed on the half hour when more pressure from the forwards through Mike Cockburn, Chris Hall, Chris Smith and Luke Ryan saw skipper Adam Rees crash over in the bottom corner – but he was winded as a result and had to receive treatment before returning to the fray after McClelland had hit the woodwork with the conversion attempt.

Cockburn, Hall, Charlie Baggs and Ben Groves also pitched in for Milford and yet another concerted drive saw veteran No 8 Mark Wonnacott score their third tray as reward for another performance described by coach Allan McClelland as ‘outstanding’ - and gave his side a 15-0 lead.

More tries despite the heavy conditions

Mariners centre Dan Jenkins is hauled down at LlangwmThe Mariners also started the second half in the ascendancy and forward pressure saw Morgan and McClelland put centre James Thomas on a run to the posts for Craig Barnett to convert.

Co-centre Dan Jenkins added his name to the try-sheet with another well-worked score and McClelland converted before bustling flanker Craig Smith finished off his team’s ‘Maori Pop’ set piece move, with Wonnacott supplying the scoring pass.

It is to The Wasps’ credit that they refused to submit, however, and they contributed to an entertaining match in the conditions, with tries from Dan Chesmer, after a nice little shimmy from the centre, and second row Jason Mock as reward for a battling performance by the entire home pack.

Llangwm: Rhys Cooper: Daniel Morgan; Dan Chesmer; James Lewis; Steve Picton: Luke Hayman; Ian Griffiths: Dan Breeze-Davies; Gethin Thomas; Ieuan Power: Gavin Jones; Jason Mock: James Reynolds; Ashley James; Josh Hicks. Replacements: Jamie Brayford; Jason Davies; Daniel Hughes; Mark Hicks; Sam Harries.

Milford Haven: Lee Riley: Jamie Lewis; James Thomas; Dan Jenkins; Dean McSparron: Dan McClelland; Evan Morgan: Mike Cockburn; Luke Ryan; Adam Rees: Chris Hall; Charlie Baggs: Ben Groves; Craig Smith; Mark Wonnacott. Replacements: Craig Barnett; Dan Birch; Dean Aldred; Dan Wonnacott; Darren Lewis.

The winning Pembroke team

The winning Pembroke team


Colley leads Scarlets try-fest

St Davids 22 - Pembroke 71

One of the games to beat the weather was this clash at St Davids – where title chasing Pembroke continued their charge towards the title in what proved to be an entertaining 80 minutes, given the conditions.

The game was moved to the spare pitch at Fishguard Road due to standing water on the main pitch, but The Scarlets overcame a resilient home side to cross for 11 tries, while The Saints grabbed three themselves.

Strong start from Scarlets

The visitors played the first half with a strong wind behind them and spent much of the first quarter camped in the St Davids 22, taking the lead when flanker Dom Colman charged over after a series of forward drives.
They added a second when a burst by centre Dan Colley, who would go on to grab four tries himself, set up a close range score for another back rower in Cyle Weatherall.

Scrum strength helps Scarlets

Geraint Lewis’ men were in the ascendancy at the scrum and their powerful pack then created the third try, pushing the Saints back off their own ball five metres out, and Colman dropped on the loose ball over the line.

But The Saints continued to battle against the elements, and with young forwards Tommy Reynolds and Jack Lewis-Prout impressing in their first league starts, tested The Scarlets with a spell of pressure that culminated in centre Scott James landing three points from a close range penalty.

Pembroke pouch a first-half bonus point

However, Pembroke soon had their bonus point try when Colman again powered over from 20 metres out and then outside half Toby Smith, whose composed play was a feature throughout, broke from inside his own 22 before giving the scoring pass to winger Barry Alderman-John.

And it was scrum half Tom Lewis who rounded off the Pembroke first half scoring when No 8 Sam Smith shrugged off several tackles on a charge up-field, before popping the scoring pass to the youngster.
Toby Smith, as he had already done with four of the tries, converted to give his team a 40-3 lead at the break.

Colley takes centre stage

The Scarlets pressed again early in the second half but No 8 Sam Smith was stopped short of the line, as was Weatherall who was then sin-binned for dissent after being penalised for holding on.

But Pembroke did add to their tally when Colley went over out wide – before St Davids were rewarded for their endeavour when James took a quick free kick and chipped ahead, and fellow centre Moritz Neumann, playing on permit from Tenby, won the race to the loose ball to score.

However, Colley was in rampant form as he crossed for a second try, and then sniped down the blind side from a ruck for his hat trick.

Then Toby Smith, who also kicked three second half conversions to go with his five in the first half, exploited a gap to go over for a try on his way to a personal tally of 21 points.

Saints show real spirit late on

The scoring wasn’t done there though, and the home side got their second try after a terrific burst from second row Reynolds took him to within metres of the line, and after replacement hooker Steve Griffiths was stopped just short, Neumann picked up and dived over and No 10 Matty Mcleod converted.

At the other end, Colley got his fourth try after a James clearance was charged down – but The Saints had the final word when James himself kicked forward after intercepting a pass in midfield, and won his side a penalty try after he was adjudged to have been impeded by Toby Smith.

That proved the final act of an entertaining and physical contest, with The Scarlets taking home the bonus point win they needed, but The Saints could at least point to another improved display after being beaten 96-5 by the same side earlier in the season.

St Davids coach Matthew Williams: “Pembroke are a very good side but I don’t think the score truly reflects our effort.

“We had periods where we really harried them and forced mistakes. It was a huge improvement from when we played them away in October.”

Pembroke coach Geraint Lewis: “It was a good performance and both sides tried to play rugby. I thought we controlled the ball well in difficult conditions.

“It was nice again to see the depth in our squad, we had a few boys out but 19-year-old Fraser James played well on debut in the centre, and Rhys Mainwaring as well when he came on at hooker.
“And credit to St Davids for doing everything to get the game on.”

Unfortunately, the first half was overshadowed by an injury to Pembroke hooker Max Hayward, who was taken to hospital with a suspected broken ankle after an accidental collision with his own player. Officials from both clubs have asked Pembrokeshire Sport to wish him a quick and full recovery.

St Davids: Rhys Morgan, Gavin Smith, Moritz Neumann, Scott James, Gabe York, Matty Mcleod, Fraser Watson, Dan Murphy, Noel Lyons, Rhys Price (capt), Tommy Reynolds, Gethin Bateman, Andrew Groves, Anthony Davies. Replacements: Paul Thomas, Steve Griffiths, Will Davies, Jack Dudley.

Pembroke: Luke Hartland, Elliot Evans, Fraser James (first game 19), Dan Colley, Barry Alderman-John, Toby Smith, Tom Lewis, Seamus Wiseman, Max Hayward, Johnny Palmer (capt), Cyle Weatherall, Will Edwards, Dom Colman, Rhodri Walters, Sam Smith. Replacements: Rhys Mainwaring, Scott Powell, Alex Thomas, Simon Hooper, Ryan Wilkins.

Dom Colman scores one of his three tries (Pic Ceri Coleman-Phillips)

Dom Colman scores one of his three tries (Pic Ceri Coleman-Phillips)

Makeshift Blues slump in second half

Tregaron 21 - Haverfordwest 17

Dane Pindare - back from injury for Haverfordwest with a tryFourth-placed Haverfordwest managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory after leading by 17 points at half time but then disappointingly losing to a Tregaron side lingering in the bottom three of the table and having lost 64-3 when they travelled to play at Haverfordwest earlier in the season.

The Blues travelled with a makeshift side and paid the ultimate price as they made the almost-two hour trip North with a mixture of first, second and youth team players, plus one sub in Shane Phillips, who had gone along to watch and found himself sitting alone on the replacements’ bench.

Strong first half for The Blues

They were boosted by the inclusion of flanker Jack Clancy (playing on permit from Tenby) and Kyle Williams (home for the weekend from Hartpury College), whilst Gareth Richards played his first match for a number of years in a switch from local football, and youth teamer Tom Carrington played his heart out in the front row alongside regulars Terry Lovell and Jamie Zambas.

Their experience alongside half backs Lee Summons and Ollie Hughes proved significant in the first period as centre Dane Pindare made a welcome return from injury and helped set up the Blues’ first score, which was a first-ever corner try by winger Mark Wilson.

Then Terry Lovell powered his way through for a second unconverted try and before the oranges young No 10 Ollie Hughes again showed his potential as he sliced through for a try which he also converted.

Tregaron take control

But Tregaron clawed their way back with an early penalty by Huw Bonner after the restart and then tries from Gethin Williams and Steffan Bonsall hauled them right back into contention as The Blues began to tire in the heavy conditions.

As the home side managed to maintain their momentum they took the lead after several phases saw Ben Jones score their third unconverted try to push them into a single-point advantage.

There was still time for another score but, sadly for The Blues, it fell to Tregaron as Bonner slotted a penalty – and Haverfordwest made the long trek home knowing that on form this was a match they should have won, had they been able to field anything like a full team!

Haverfordwest: Rhys Baker: Mark Stobbs; Dane Pindare; Gareth Richards; Mark Wilson: Ollie Hughes; Lee Summons: Terry Lovell; Jamie Zambas; Tom Carrington: Ben Llewelyn; Richard Little: Steve Thomas; Jack Clancy; Kyle Williams. Replacement: Shane Phillips.

Dane Pindare - back from injury for Haverfordwest with a try


Pembroke Dock Harlequins v Laugharne (Match postponed)
Cardigan  v Neyland (Match postponed)
Division One (West): 
Crymych v Kidwelly  (Match postponed)
Felinfoel v Tenby (Match postponed)
Division Two (West):
Tumble v Fishguard (Match postponed)
Hendy v Whitland (Match postponed)