Rugby Reports 25th January 2019

Jack Mason - vital try for Whitland No 8. Picture by Paul Rodgers

Photo - Jack Mason - vital try for Whitland No 8. Picture by Paul Rodgers


Division One (West)


Nico nicks it for Borderers


Whitland 13 Crymych 10

Nico Setaro kept his nerve to land a last gasp penalty for Whitland which not only sealed victory for The Borderers but delivered a body blow to rivals Crymych.

The Preseli Men had seemingly earned a crucial two points when a late penalty try left the scores at 10-10, but in the dying seconds their No 8 Tom Powell was penalised for pulling back Josh Davies off the ball and the nerveless Setaro made them pay.

It was the home side who controlled the first 40 minutes and hooker Marc Jones, second row Courtney Bowman, and No 8 Jack Mason were all prominent in the ball carrying stakes – and it was the latter who claimed the opening try when he touched down from a driving lineout before Setaro converted.

The No 10 was also wide with a penalty as Crymych, who had flanker Sion Colella sin binned, struggled to get going. However, the visitors kept in touch at the break via three points from outside half Jonathan Rogers, playing on permit from Narberth.

Setaro negated that with a penalty early in the second half for Whitland but then Crymych began to up the ante, and with conditions deteriorating they drew level three minutes from time when a powerful shunt from a scrum resulted in a penalty try.

That prompted an exciting finale where the Preseli Men had possession in the Whitland 22 only for the ball to be spilt forward and the home side cleared – and away centre Tomos Phillips opted to run it back from deep before Powell’s infringement gave Setaro the chance to win it.

He duly took it as Whitland went fifth in the table, while the Preseli Men stay second bottom ahead of a pivotal four-game period against the sides around them.

“I’m happy and felt we deserved the win,” said home coach Gareth Bennett afterwards.

“It was a tale of two halves. We could have been more tries up at half time and when the wind and rain came in we started giving penalties away. But they gave us the chance at the end and Nico slotted the points.”

Meanwhile, Crymych spokesman Adrian Howells said: “We get one bonus point but it was the story of our season.

“They deserved to be ahead after the first half, but second half there was nothing in it.”

Whitland: Gino Setaro, Alex Codd, Josh Davies, James Stephenson, Geraint Jones, Nico Setaro, Jac Howells, Aaron Mayne, Marc Jones, Tomos Evans, Raff Williams, Courtney Bowman, James Lewis, James Thomas, Jack Mason. Replacements: Iwan Lewis, Ben Kirk, Tom Finucane, Dai Ebsworth, Scott Candler.

Crymych: Adam Phillips, Gethin Gibby, Tomos Phillips, Carwyn Phillips, Laurence Headlam, Jonathan Rogers, Dafydd Phillips, Rhys Richards, Steffan Harries, Ryan Rees, Matthew Freebury, Rhys Davies, Richard Sharp-Williams, Sion Colella, Tom Powell. Replacements: Sion Hughes, Dafydd Walters, Ilan Phillips, Hedd Nicholas.


‘Foel’ complete Scarlets double


Pembroke 14 Felinfoel 21

It was again a case of what might have been for Pembroke as they defied the odds to lead 14-7 in the second half against Felinfoel, but the reigning league champions fought back to leave The Scarlets with just a solitary bonus point.

The visitors were much changed from their win over Gowerton the previous week and were further disrupted before kick off as they lost Shaun Dalling and Iori Roberts, with Joe Watkins and Richard Jones stepping up from the 2nds.

They trailed 7-0 when a driving lineout set up a try for winger Jordan Dunne, and No 10 Jonny George converted.

But then Pembroke hit back with a powerful lineout of their own which created the platform from which No 10 Kyren Gray jinked inside and scored at the posts, before also adding the extras.

The Foel were on top in the scrum though and Pembroke had prop Jonny Palmer sin-binned before the break, but still took the lead when Watkins, on for the injured Luke Hartland, intercepted a pass in his own 22 and made it all the way to the line. Gray converted.

Pembroke then withstood some heavy pressure and a series of set pieces near their own line but eventually The Foel drew level when centre Josh Edwards crossed and George again did the honours.

Palmer then left the field for good with a shoulder injury and with 15 minutes left the home side went ahead with a score from scrum half Luke Marsh with George again goaled.

Pembroke kept fighting through and Gray hit the woodwork with a penalty before a couple of crucial attacking lineouts went astray, and The Foel then closed out the final minutes as their pack held onto possession.

“We really got stuck in today and competed against a side that were runaway champions last year,” said Pembroke forwards coach Kyle Davies, who also praised the displays off the bench of Alex Wilkes, Jones and Watkins.

Pembroke: Luke Hartland, Barry Alderman John, Tom Harding-Jones, Lewis Davies, Steve Brown, Kyren Gray, Lewys Gibby, Lloyd Davies, Shane Gwyther, Johnny Palmer, Scott Powell, Harry Dawe, Will Edwards, Alex Thomas, Rhodri Walters. Replacements: Seamus Wiseman, Alex Wilkes, Richard Jones, Dan Gosnold, Joe Watkins.

Pembroke: Luke Hartland, Barry Alderman John, Tom Harding-Jones, Lewis Davies, Shaun Dalling, Kyren Gray, Lewys Gibby, Lloyd Davies, Shane Gwyther, Johnny Palmer, Scott Powell, Harry Dawe, Will Edwards, Alex Thomas, Rhodri Walters. Replacements: Seamus Wiseman, Alex Wilkes, Steve Brown, Yori Roberts, Dan Gosnold.



Division Two (West):


Mariners lose out against league leaders


Burry Port 35 Milford Haven 10

Runaway leaders Burry Port gave Milford Haven a lesson in clinical finishing as the Llanelli side made it 15 league wins from 15 this season with a strong second half display.

The Mariners were only 14-10 down at half time and arguably should have been ahead but were plagued by unforced errors in attacking positions.

They did have a try from winger Jimmy Thomas after a cross-field kick by No 10 Steve Martin found Dai Sweeney out wide, and the flanker managed to gather and pop a pass to Thomas to score.

No 9 Dan McClelland converted and added a first half penalty.

But that was as good as it got for the visitors despite impressive displays up front by prop Adam Rees and flanker Zac Davies, and Burry Port eventually ran in five tries via centre Declan Knox (2), flanker Richard Parker, prop Keelan Jewell, and second row Josh Perry.

Full back Lee Evans again showed his class with the boot as he nailed all five conversions.

Milford Haven: James Williams, Lee Riley, Dan Jenkins, Dan Birch, Jimmy Thomas, Steve Martin, Danny McClelland, Ben Jenkins, Luke Ryan, Adam Rees, Chris Hall, Andrew Ling, Zac Davies, Kyle Hamer, Sam Dolling. Replacements: Dai Sweeney, Dylan Evans, James Trueman, Dean McSparron, Mike Cockburn.


Seagulls denied in ‘cracking contest’


Nantgaredig 25-21 Fishguard & Goodwick

Simon James - another try by veteran No 8It was almost a case of déjà vu at Nantgaredig as the home side beat Fishguard and Goodwick in an entertaining contest which received high praise from referee Jackie Boswell for the quality of their play.

But once again Seagulls’ coaches Nathan and Steve Jenkins must have been disappointed by the fact that their team were 14-12 ahead at the interval and were only 21-22 behind going into the last ten minutes.

They had started well 7-0 ahead from a piece of opportunism by winger Daf Ridgeway as he chased his own chip ahead before No 10 James Griffiths converted.

Nant responded with an unconverted try by prop Elfed Daniel but Robbie James raced over for The Seagulls and Griffiths notched the conversion but after Ridgeway had just been denied his second score Nant grabbed a try on half time by centre Iwan Thomas which Meirion Davies converted.

Davies put his team in front for the first time after the oranges with a penalty and then he converted a try by Rhydian Evans but The Seagulls quickly replied with a good try from No 8 Simon James which Griffiths goaled to take them just behind at 21-22.

They battled hard to snatch the verdict but a Meirion Davies penalty ended their hopes, despite a late flourish which sadly came to nothing.

Photo - Simon James - another try by veteran No 8


Late try forces Seasiders to share the spoils with The Bont


Tenby United 14 Pontarddulais 14

Luke Dedman - good try for Tenby UnitedTenby were denied at the death as a last gasp try and conversion for Pontarddulais earned the visitors a draw that in truth they probably deserved.

The Seasiders were leading 14-7 when away No 8 Owain Davies went over and George Mbofana showed real nerve to convert.

It was No 10 Mbofana who both created and converted the opening try 10 minutes in when he broke through 22 metres out and popped a pass for centre Paul Geary to score.

It stayed that way until the interval but Tenby came out a different side second half and started attacking the wide channels, and it was from such a scenario that second row and skipper Luke Dedman benefitted from an overlap to score and Lloyd Thomas converted.

And the turnaround continued when a driving lineout took them close to the line and then moments later centre Yannic Parker crashed over from close range for Thomas to again land the extras.

But The Bont put the pressure on in the closing stages and after opting to kick a close range penalty into the corner, Davies claimed a try and his outside half did the rest.

“We didn’t turn up in the first half,” admitted Tenby coach Jonathan Evans.

“We woke up second half and then to concede like that so late was disappointing but it was probably a fair result.”

Tenby United: Joe Owen, Jack Gooding, Yannic Parker, Andrew Cooke, Oakley Milton, Lloyd Thomas, Matthew Morgan, Ethan Morgan, Jim Brace, Rob Luly, Ben James, Luke Dedman (capt), Mike Davis, Will Swales, Jack Broadhurst. Replacements: Geoff Martin, Dan Allen, Harry Bolton, Jimmy Davies, Joe Andrews.


Photo - Luke Dedman - good try for Tenby United

 Llangwm RFC 

PHOTO: Llangwm RFC

Llangwm skipper Gethin Thomas leads some solid defence

Photo - Llangwm skipper Gethin Thomas leads some solid defence


Division Three (West) A


Spoils shared in local derby draw – but Neyland take The Sutton Cup


Llangwm 15 Neyland 15

This local derby between Llangwm and Neyland was a typically full-blooded affair that had some good rugby at times in difficult conditions, no shortage of commitment and a few outbreaks of handbags, especially in a tense second period, with the teams sharing 30 points and desperate to gain bragging rights in the area.

Neyland enjoyed a strong opening spell but The Wasps came back with a bang as flanker James Lewis and player/coach Matthew John set up the platform for a bull-dozing run by Yale Grice from 35 metres out; the powerful centre brushing off several opponents before crashing over at the posts against his form team-mates, with Luke Hayman adding the extra points.

Hayman also added a penalty and The Wasps had a real chance wide out after a Matthew John counter-attack but the final pass to flanker Ian Griffiths didn’t go to hand – and Neyland showed their real grit as good work by Ieuan Power, Craig Bennett and Chad Monk allowed Shane Phillips to grab an unconverted try.

Lively scrum half Chris Morgan levelled matters for The All Blacks to make it 10-all at half time but the loudest cheer of the day was reserved for Wasps’ winger Daniel Morgan after his storming run saw him power his way over the whitewash for a quality finish that again went unconverted.

It stung Neyland into raising the tempo up front and several sorties up the top touchline should have brought tries but terrific defence by the entire Llangwm team saw them restricted to a single five points from Owain Evans.

One to suffer was Neyland winger Henry Mcbeth as he sustained a popped rib cartilage near the home posts as another attack was repelled. Henry was clearly in a lot of pain and was eventually taken by ambulance to hospital – and everyone will wish the popular young winger a speedy recovery.

The teams compete annually for the Sutton Cup on an aggregate points basis and since Neyland won 29-23 at The Athletic Ground and skipper George Williams received the trophy from Michael John, the Llangwm president, who congratulated both teams on an epic battle before inviting Johnny Sutton to present the silverware to Neyland skipper George Williams.

Llangwm:  Luke Dyer: Dan Morgan; Yale Grice; Lewis Murphy; Dan Thomas: Matthew John, Luke Hayman: Ieuan Power; Phil Llewelyn; Gavin Jones: Dave Reynolds; Jason Mock: James Lewis; Ian Griffiths; Gethin Thomas (Capt). Replacements: James Griffiths; Matthew Lewis; Rhys Thomas; Ewan Griffiths; Dan Ridge.

Neyland: Rhys Bradney: Sean Meaney; Jordan Allen-Wright; Shane Phillips; Henry Mcbeth: George Williams (Capt); Chris Morgan: Chad Monk; Craig Bennett; Luke Griffiths-Dawes: Mark James; Chris Busby: Ben Williams; Owain Evans; Iestyn Evans. Replacements: Parry Phillips; Sam Cataki; Jack Richards; Ieuan Hadley.

Neyland RFC

Photo - Neyland RFC

Owain Evans on a burst for Neyland

Photo - Owain Evans on a burst for Neyland


Aber’s pack too strong for weakened Quins’ eight


Aberaeron 29 Pembroke Dock Harlequins 0

Aberaeron moved within a point of Pembroke Dock Harlequins, with two games in hand,  as a result of this bonus-point victory that also earned them the double, having already won 12-5 at Bierspool.

But this was far more clinical a verdict as The Quins were unable to gain parity up front and paid the inevitable price as the home side led by 12-0 at the break and added another 17 points afterwards as Ben Gibby led the visitors’ pack by example but Aber ruled the roost once they had first half tries from Gareth James and full back Morgan Llewellyn alongside one conversion by Rhydian Jenkins.

Left winger Dafydd Llewellyn added Aber’s third try and others followed for Rhodri and Tudur and Rhodri Jenkins, who also kicked a second conversion.


Carmarthenshire Saints seal victory in last seconds


St Clears 14 Haverfordwest 3

Gareth Jones - opened scoring for St ClearsThis clash between the teams placed respectively in second and third places was always going to be tight and The Carmarthenshire Saints were only 7-3 ahead until the closing moments, when strong-running centre Rhydian Jenkins crossed the whitewash and outside half Dan Jenkins converted with the final kick of the match.

These two strong teams had shared 24 points at Haverfordwest and it was always clear that this tussle would follow a similar pattern as The Saints were only7-3 in front at half time thanks to a try by prop Gareth Jones which Griffiths goaled.

Mikey Jones replied with a Blues’ penalty but the skipper was unable to add further points as the homesters kept their discipline – and the second period followed a similar pattern until Rhodri Jenkins grabbed that vital late score – and kept his team in second spot as Haverfordwest were pushed down to fourth place and seemingly out of the promotion race at the moment!


Photo - Gareth Jones - opened scoring for St Clears


Saints reduce losing margin


St Davids 7 Lampeter Town 60

There was plenty of fight from St Davids against leaders Lampeter as Gethin Bateman’s team started with only 14 players and finished with 13 after losing centre Lee Phillips to injury.

The Saints conceded more than 100 points in the reverse fixture and yet kept things scoreless for 15 minutes here - but eventually the visitors hit their stride and led 33-0 at half time - and added 27 more points after the break.

The hosts did get a second half score themselves though when No 10 Rhys Morgan chipped ahead and centre George Raymond gathered to score. Morgan converted to cap a stand out display while player coach Bateman, front rowers Rhys Price and Dan Murphy, and backline brothers Shane and Luke Brooks also impressed in difficult circumstances.

But it was Lampeter who left with a comfortable bonus point win as winger Carwyn Lewis grabbed a hat trick of tries, alongside scores from second row Daryl Davies, No 8 Rob Morgan (2), flanker Morgan Lewis, No 9 Huw Thomas, centre Tomos Rhys Jones, and wing Ryan Doughty. Thomas (4) and Carwyn Lewis (1) added the conversions.

St Davids: Luke Brooks, Adam Williams, Lee Phillips, George Raymond, Paul Clayton, Rhys Morgan, Shane Brooks, Will Davies, Rhys Price, Dan Murphy, Dan Boyes, Alex Richmond, Mark Wilson, Gethin Bateman.


Five-try Steff stars in big Laugharne victory


Laugharne 57 Tregaron 12

Laugharne scored nine tries as proof of their potent fire-power against a Tregaron side which was already 19-7 adrift at the interval before Gary Price’s boys added another 40 points after the oranges.

Leading the way was Steff Davies as he raced through for five tries, two in the first period and another three thereafter, rounding off some great attacking stuff which makes the Wooford Park team one of the real promotion favourites, having lost just once from 12 outings.

Gritty scrum half Adam Davies had opened the Laugharne account from a typical snipe to the line before Davies landed the extra points, as he did from one of his two tries, whilst Tregaron full back Ieuan Wyn Rees scored his team’s sole try, converted by Rhodri Jones.

Winger Chris Wilkins scored the visitors’ try after half time but that apart it was one-way traffic as Davies added three more tries alongside others from winger Gareth Spiers and prop Tom Walters, whilst Tom Jameson slotted two conversions as Laugharne moved into third slot, with three games in hand over Lampeter Town and St Clears.


Cardis win well to continue improvement


Cardigan 17 Llanybydder 12

Cardigan showed that they are continuing to improve with a hard-fought but deserved victory over Llanybydder at The King George Vth Playing Fields.

The Teifisiders had lost  39-14 in Llanybydder earlier in the campaign but showed their step-up in form with a 7-0 interval lead before being 17 points ahead until a late Llan revival led by centre Bleddyn Jones, who scored two tries, the second converted by Llyr Tobias to give Llan a losing bonus point.

Tearaway flanker Sean Owens claimed The Teifisiders’ first-half try and after Llyr Jones had slotted the conversion Owens might have added a second score but the final pass went astray.

In the second half there was some good work in attack and defence from centres Aaron Tomkinson and Marcus Castle, with Osian Rees and Andrew Fletcher leading the pack by example – and it was outside half Iwan John who raced over for their second try, which full back Llyr Jones converted to go with a well-struck penalty.

It gave Cardigan their sixth win from 13 starts and they have no moved up to eighth place in the table, just below their opponents in this match.

Cardigan: Llyr Jones, Kieran Greenland, Aaron Tomkinson, Marcus Castle, Oliver Leeming, Iwan John, Danny Bradshaw, William Brice, Andrew Fletcher, Ben Hughes, Sion Phillips, Dyfed Symmons, Sean Owen, Gruffydd Lewis, Osian Rees. Replacements: Callum Plowright, Toby Neilson-Dry, Gwion Morgan, Kester Adams, Justin James Noble.


Championship Division:


Otters match postponed for Pooler’s cup tie

Pontypool v Narberth

*This match will now take place later in the season