Two quick fire second half goals see Bluebirds exit cup

Ricky Watts glides past goal scorer Harry Owen


Nathaniel MG Cup – quarterfinal


Haverfordwest County 0 – Cardiff Met 2

Cardiff Met grabbed two early second half goals to dump injury-hit  Haverfordwest County out of the Nathaniel MG Cup at a wind-swept Bridge Meadow Stadium last night

Last month the Bluebirds won 2-0 in the capital in their league clash, however, Christian Edwards’ 'Archers' gained sweet revenge at the Bridge Meadow in this cup clash.

Two goals in as many minutes by Harry Owen and Adam Roscrow earned The Archers a place in the last four of the competition.

Roscrow fired a low drive wide in the first minute, which showed the Archers intention as they were not prepared to sit back and let The Bluebirds take control.

Alex Lang denied Ben Fawcett after the striker weaved his way inside the box, but the keeper saved comfortably.

Dylan Rees competes in aerial stakes

Fingertip save

Wojciech Gajda pulled off a brilliant fingertip save to deny Owen’s spectacular overhead kick.and at the other end Fawcett’s low drive narrowly missed the target.

There were more problems for manager Wayne Jones as Danny Williams was forced off with an injury but Alhagi Touray Sisay made a welcome return to the team.

The visitors also had to make a change as Charles Corsby was forced to leave the field after colliding with Alaric Jones, and he was replaced by Daniel Warre, with Jones bravely returning to the fray after he also went down hard.

Lewis Rees was denied by Gadja – at the other end the Bluebirds went close as Fawcett’s cheeky near post flick from a Jack Wilson corner was saved by Lang.

Shortly after the break Fawcett was again involved as he glanced a long Jack Wilson throw-in just wide.

Archers score two quick goals

However, the defining moment came in the 51st minute when Owen broke the deadlock as he cleverly turned in the box and fired a low left foot cross shot that finally beat Gajda., 

A minute later The Bluebirds conceded the softest of goals as a defensive mix-up saw Gajda stranded at the edge of his box and Roscrow pounced easily and was on target to double the visitors lead and knock a lot of the stuffing out of the home side.

The Archers almost made it three goals in seven minutes when the dangerous  Roscrow just inches the wrong side of the upright - and a little later Gajda made two superb saves in quck succession from Thomas Price and Lewis Rees.

On the hour mark the Bluebirds squandered a good chance to pull one back when Fawcett squared to Touray Sisay, but the substitutes goalbound shot was blocked as it failed to have the necessary power - and The Bluebirds continued to battle hard as The Met tried to slow things down and retain possession.

Fawcett almost had the final say as he popped up again the final moments but Lang covered well and so there were no goals for a lot of effort for Haverfordwest.

Manager Wayne Jones has a big problem with injuries at the moment, with key players absent but there were positives to take from the game as skipper Dylan Rees and Alaric Jones battled hard at the back, where talented teenager Iori Humphreys not only started but played at the heart of the defence alongside Kyle Patten.

This Saturday, 30th October, Haverfordwest County return to league action as they face Newtown at the Bridge Meadow, perhaps an even tougher task against the team third in the table, with kick off at 2.30pm.
Haverfordwest County: Wojciech Gajda, Dylan Rees (Captain), Alaric Jones, Iori Humphries (70, Kieran Lewis), Kyle Patten, Kurtis Rees (87, Lucas Davies), Ricky Watts, Elliot Scotcher, Danny Williams (27, Alhagi Touray Sisay), Ben Fawcett, Jack Wilson.
Substitutes not used: Kieran King, Josh Legrice.

Cardiff Met: A. Lang, K. McCarthy, R. Lewis, T. Price, E. Evans, A Roscrow, C. Corsby (29, D. Warre), H. Owen (79, L. Warman), L. Rees, J. Evans, C. Craven.
Substitutes not used: M. Manson, A. Noad, J. Davies, T. Davies, B. Roberts.

Referee: Ryan Kenny.
Assistants: Daniel Beckett & Bryn Jones.
Fourth Official: Allan Williams.

Kurtis Rees and Ben Fawcett press forward for Bluebirds