Touray Sisay grabs dramatic late Welsh Cup winner for Bluebirds in Flintshire

Alhagi Touray Sisay grabbed dramatic late winner for Haverfordwest County

JD Welsh Cup – Round 3


Airbus UK Broughton 1 – Haverfordwest County 2

Striker Alhagi Touray Sisay struck a dramatic late winner for Haverfordwest County against Airbus UK Broughton at The Hollingsworth Group Stadium.

The Wingmakers, from Flintshire came into this cup tie in good form, winning eight of their nine league games in Cymru North league this season, pleasing manager Steve O’Shaughnessy.

This tie always could have been a potential banana skin, the signs looked ominous when the hosts took an early lead, but the visitors equalised through a terrific Kieran Lewis strike, and right at the death Touray Sisay struck to break the Wingmakers’ hearts.

Bluebirds boss Wayne Jones brought the experienced Elliot Scotcher back into the starting line-up, plus Danny Williams also started and there were four academy players who made up the visitors’ bench.

Early set back

The Wingmakers got off to a dream start as a lapse in concentration in the visitors’ defence allowed Adam Davies to capitalise as he made no mistake from close range from a corner.

The visitors nearly conceded another, but some sharp goal keeping by Wojciech Gajda kept the hosts out.
Airbus’ Gareth Edwards received a yellow card for cynically taking out Danny Williams on the edge of the box. From the resultant free kick Scotcher curled it round the wall, put keeper Dutton pushed it behind for a corner.

Kieran Lewis struck a low shot which Dutton did well to get down to deny the classy midfielder.

Alaric Jones hobbled off as he failed to run off an early knock and the defender was replaced by teenager Iori Humphreys, who made his second senior appearance in four days.

Kieran Lewis equalised with a stunning strike for Bluebirds

Stunning strike

Right on the stroke of half time the Bluebirds equalised through a stunning strike by Kieran Lewis as the score stood at 1-1.

Five minutes after the break Airbus should have taken the lead but Edwards fired wide.
Danny Williams struck the ball in the net, but it was ruled offside, plus earlier the visitors got the ball in the net, but it was chalked off for handball.

Bluebirds reached the last 16

In the final ten minutes this tie was on a knife edge, before a brilliant cross by skipper Dyland Rees was met by a firm header from Touray Sisay that was saved, as tis tie was heading for extra time, but a dramatic twist saw Touray Sisay grab the vital late winner, as the striker charged down Dutton’s clearance as he duly rolled the ball into the empty net, it secured a place in the last sixteen of the competition.

What the manager said

Wayne Jones:
“We got off to a poor start, but the boys reacted, and we got the all-important win. Kieran Lewis’ strike was fantastic, plus Touray Sisay showed great determination to get the winner.

“Iori Humphreys who only turned 18 this week played really well when he replaced Alaric Jones (foot injury) just before half time, he really didn’t look out of place and looks destined for a bright future.”
Airbus UK Broughton: L. Dutton, S. Tomass, J. Palmer (90, I. Jones), G. Edwards, R. Edwards, O. Lanceley, C. Humphries, S. Spender, A. Davies, E. Orton, B. Cornish (76, G. Peers).
Substitutes not used: J. McHarrie, O. Payne, G. Burrows.

Haverfordwest County: Wojciech Gajda, Dylan Rees (Captain), Elliot Scotcher, Alaric Jones (44, Iori Humphries), Ricky Watts, Kurtis Rees, Kieran Lewis, Danny Williams, Ben Fawcett, Alhagi Touray Sisay, Jack Wilson.
Substitutes not used: Archie Hillier-Wood, Kieran King, Josh Legrice.

Referee: David Livesey.
Assistants: John Palmer and Wyn Evans.
Fourth Official: Lee Evans