Ten-man Silkmen stun nine-man Bluebirds at the Bridge Meadow

Callum Pratley works hard to keep possession for the Silkmen

JD Cymru Premier:


Haverfordwest County 0 – Flint Town United 3

Ten-man Flint Town United gained sweet revenge over nine-man Haverfordwest County with a thoroughly deserved three-goal victory at the Bridge Meadow.

Earlier in the season the hosts won 2-0 at Flint and were expected to comfortably win this tussle against the team from Cae y Castell. However, it never worked out that way as the visitors battled for every scrap of possession.

Wayne Jones’ men had a poor day at the office.  Alex Jones opened the scoring midway through the first period, shortly after the break Conor Harwood struck the second then a late third from substitute Ben Steer secured the points for the visitors. 

Haverfordwest County's Alaric Jones and Kieran Lewis were sent off and Flint's Wesley Baynes also recieved his marching orders in a highly competitive game.

Incredibly Haverfordwest County have not won a home game in the top tier of Welsh football and on this showing will have to improve massively.

Bright start

The Silkmen started the better in this tussle as Kai Edwards put a header over the bar from close range.

The Bluebirds looked a yard off the pace, Alaric Jones picking up a yellow card for a clumsy lunge on Conor Harwood.

The visitors deservedly took the lead in the 21st minute as Matthew Turner blocked a shot but from the rebound it was neatly tucked into the net by Alex Jones.

Minutes later Wesley Baynes picked up a booking for a rash challenge on Corey Shephard, and referee Huw Jones also issued a yellow to Harwood.

In the 35th minute the visitors nearly extended the lead as neat control from Harwood saw the striker play in Callum Bratley, but the latter struck a low shot across the face of goal.

Midfielder Elliot Scotcher was the next name in the book for a late tackle on Bratley.

Just before the break the hosts had their first attempt at goal, but Daniel Summerfield cross was back heeled over the bar by Marcus Griffiths.

The Silkmenwere good value for their 1-0 lead at half time, whilst the home outfit had an extremely slow first 45 minutes.

Elliot Scotcher on the ball

Harwood strikes with clinical finish

Minutes after the restart  the Silkmen grabbed their second goal, striker Harwood showing neat skill on the edge of the box and calmly slotting past Turner for an excellent finish to round off a mazy run.

Wayne Jones made a double substitution as Jack Wilson and Kurtis Rees came on for Mark Jones and Corey Sheppard, respectively.

Ben Fawcett in control

Jones sees red 

Matters got worse for the hosts when defender Alaric Jones pulled back Mark Cadwallader and was issued his second yellow so the Bluebirds were down to ten men-  and Influential skipper Sean Pemberton picked up a knock and was replaced by Trystan Jones.

With heavy rain persisting the hosts failed to put any real pressure on the visitors’ defence, who to their full credit looked solid.

In the 77th minute the visitors were also reduced to ten men when Wesley Baynes picked up his second yellow after he took down Ben Fawcett.

In the 81st minute Kieran Lewis was sent off for a reckless attempted tackle; the midfielder clearly following through with his feet off the floor.

Down to nine-men there was no way back for the Bluebirds, who had had their feathers ruffled more and more by the Silkmen.

To add insult to injury the visitors added a late third when substitute Trystan Jones attempted clearance flew off Flint sub Ben Steer and into the net - totally summing up the home side's miserable afternoon.

Bluebirds' manager Wayne Jones spoke to us afterwards, as always, and said,
"This was a poor performance by us and although we were disrupted by illness in the previous week I won't even consider that as an excuse. Flint were so much better than us on the day - faster, more decisive and going flat out for a win - whilst we just looked flat. These are matches we must do more with, especially at home, because we could have gone top half of the table with three points - and after training on Monday and Wednesday we will be looking to pick a squad away to Caernarvon on Saturday which must play with more intensity and commitment than we did today!"

Haverfordwest County: Matthew Turner, Daniel Summerfield, Alaric Jones, Sean Pemberton (Captain) (63 Trystan Jones), Ricky Watts, Corey Shephard (55 Kurtis Rees), Ben Fawcett, Marcus Griffiths, Elliot Scotcher, Kieran Lewis, Mark Jones (55 Jack Wilson).
Substitutes not used: Wojcieth Gajda, Scott Tancock.

Flint Town United: John Danby, Samuel Hart, Nathan Craig, Wesley Baynes, Kai Edwards, Richard Foulkes (Captain), Mark Cadwallader, Alex Jones, Callum Bratley, Conor Harwood (87 Leslie Davies), Ben Maher.
Substitutes not used: Aaron Jones, Ben Steer, Andrew Brown, Thomas Kemp.

Referee: Huw Jones.
Assistants: Daniel Beckett & Connor Thomas.
Fourth Official: Dean John.

Match officials