Late Fawcett strike earns Bluebirds deserved draw with champions

Ben Fawcett celebrates with Alhagi Touray Sisay 

JD Cymru Premier



Haverfordwest County 1 – Connah’s Quay Nomads 1

Ben Fawcett equalisesBen Fawcett scored a dramatic 88th minute equaliser to secure a deserved point for Haverfordwest County against champions Connah’s Quay Nomads in a rain -sodden clash at the Bridge Meadow Stadium.

The visitors led at the break thank to Callum Morris, who made no mistake from the penalty spot. But The Bluebirds refused to be beaten and right at the death Fawcett grabbed an equaliser to earn his side a draw.

Haverfordwest County have now stretched their unbeaten record in league and cup to four matches as manager Wayne Jones will have been given heart for their never-say-die attitude.

The champions have had an indifferent start to the campaign as successful manager Andy Morrison decided to step down and, in his place, has come the extremely experienced Carl Harrison.

The visitors had the better of the early exchanges, but Bluebirds’ keeper Wojciech Gajda didn’t have a save to make as defenders Ricky Watts, Kyle Patten, Jazz Richards and skipper Dan Rees didn't put a foot wrong.

The hosts pressed forwards as Elliot Scotcher got himself in a good position to let go of the trigger, but it was blocked inside the box.

Jack Wilson tried his luck on the edge of the 18-yard box, but it was easily gathered by Nomads’ keeper Byrne.

On the half hour mark Nomads' Kris Owens struggled with an injury, and he was replaced by teenager Harrison Webster.

Elliot Scotcher went close to scoring on a number of occassions

Morris scores from spot

Four minutes later the visitors were awarded a penalty that Morris coolly despatched after Touray Sisay was adjudged to have made contact in his own area.

Just before the break saw Touray Sisay was brought down on the edge of the area, only for Scotcher to fire the resultant free kick way over the crossbar.

Seven minutes after the interval the Bluebirds came close to equalising as Scotcher drilled from distance just past the post.

The Bluebirds continued to push against a resilient Nomads' outfit, Wilson cleverly played in Touray Sisay, but the Spaniard’s shot was blocked and went out for a corner.

With thirteen minutes left to play Mason Jones-Thomas replaced Danny Williams as Wayne Jones looked for fresh legs to continue the pressure on the visitors.

Bluebirds skipper Dan Rees puts in a cross

Fawcett strikes late

Wilson went close as he instinctively dinked the ball over the on rushing Byrne, but his goal-bound effort somehow stuck on the line and refused to move, allowing greateful keeper Byrne the chance to grab it!

Just when it looked as if the Bluebirds had to settle for a narrow defeat, with two minutes to go, a goalmouth melee led to Fawcett hitting the back of the net.

That goal was no more than Wayne Jones’ Bluebirds deserved against the champions who travelled back to Deeside with a point afater a hard-fought contest ended even.

Wayne Jones: "We were pleased to pick up that late point but to be honest we might have had all three on a better day.

"Our back four of skipper Dan Rees, Ricky Watts, Kyle Patten and Jazz Richards kept a tight rein on some proven goal grabbers and we never stopped working as a team until the final whistle."

Haverfordwest County: Wojciech Gajda, Jazz Richards, Elliot Scotcher, Ricky Watts, Ben Fawcett, Jack Wilson, Dan Rees (Captain), Alhagi Touray Sisay, Kieran Lewis, Kyle Patten, Danny Wiliiams (77, Mason Jones-Thomas).
Substitutes not used: Lee Idzi, Kurtis Rees, Iori Humphreys.

Connah’s Quay Nomads: O. Byrne, J. Disney, R. Harrington, P. Mendes (77, J. Mullan), C. Morris, B. Harrison, J. Insall, D. Poole, D. Holmes, K. Owens (30, H. Webster), A. Edwards.
Substitutes not used: J. Calderbank-Park, J. Davies, T. Moore, J. Williams, H. Owen.

Referee: Arwel Griffiths.
Assistants: Harry Hendricks & Jonathan Davis.
Fourth Official: Alex McInch.

Kieran Rees pushes forward for Haverfordwest County