Fawcett's superb double sinks ten-man Dragons

Ben Fawcett celebrates scoring a the winner. Picture by Matthew Kelly of Rawphotography

JD Cymru Premier:


Haverfordwest County 2 – Barry Town United 1

Super sub Ben Fawcett scored a superb brace to earn Haverfordwest County a deserved victory over ten-man Barry Town United at the floodlit Bridge Meadow on Tuesday night.

All the goals were scored in the second half as man of the match Fawcett opened the scoring in the 52nd minute before Dragons substitute Josh Graham levelled matters in the 67th, but Fawcett got the all-important winner in the 69th minute when he got on the end of another goalkeeper error – this time Mike Lewis spilled the ball to secure the points for Wayne Jones’ men.

Both teams came into this game on the back of defeat as the Bluebirds were thrashed 4-1 at Cefn Druids whilst Barry Town United lost 2-0 against Caernarfon Town but both produced some quality football, with slick passing and willingness to press forward at every opportunity..

The visitors started with plenty of possession, bu The Bluebirds retained their shape and it was the hosts who created the first chance when Corey Shepard struck his shot well wide from 20 yards out.

The hosts suffered an early set-back as in form striker Jack Wilson picked up a knee injury  and he was replaced by Fawcett within five minutes.

Substitute Fawcett nearly opened the scoring as the lively striker broke down the left before he flashed a shot wide of Mike Lewis’ far post.

At the other end The Bluebirds lost the ball in midfield as Dragons' skipper Kayne McLaggon took a few touches before striking a low effort straight to keeper Wojciech Gajda.

Scotcher fires over from the spot

In the 12th minute the hosts were awarded a penalty for a clear foul inside the box. With regular penalty taker Danny Williams on the bench up stepped Elliot Scotcher who blasted his shot which agonisingly grazed the crossbar and flew over the clubhouse. What a let off!

Kieran Lewis let fly from outside the box with Lewis well beaten but it missed the target.

In an end-to-end tussle the visitors went close as Clayton Green got on the end of a cross and headed over the bar.

Cameron Keetch whipped in a cross, but the left sided wing back failed to find anyone to get on the end of it inside the area.

McLaggon tried an audacious bicycle kick which didn’t trouble Gajda and t the other end Fawcett showed terrific endeavour as the lively striker fought for the ball inside the box before he stabbed his shot just wide.

Minutes later the striker tried his luck from the edge of the box, as he proved a real handful for the big Barry defenders but it didn’t trouble Lewis.

Shortly after the break The Dragons could have taken the lead when Curtis Jemmett-Hutson headed wide as he got on the end of a cross from the left.

In the 52nd minute Danny Williams replaced Kurtis Rees, a minute later the Bluebirds finally broke the deadlock.

Costly Lewis error

Excellent play down the left saw Fawcett find space inside the box before he calmly slotted past Lewis and ran to celebrtae his goal with his young friends from Hakin who were giving good support from the grass bank behind the fence at the far end..

It stung Barry into  raise the tempo even more and on the hour mark Alaric Jones gained a crucial block to deny McLaggon from inside the box as the striker got on the end of a good Jordan Cotterill pass in the box.
Cotterill also rapped the bar with a terrific curling shot and Haverfordwest did well to resist the pressure.

However, Gavin Chesterfield’s Dragons levelled matters in the 66th minute when Josh Graham turned quickly to fire into the net as the substitute capitalised on goalkeeper Gajda’s handling error.

Two minutes later the Bluebirds regained the lead as keeper Lewis spilled the ball and in the ensuing melee striker Fawcett reacted quickest on the turn and buried his shot into the far corner.

Red card

In the 77th minute The Dragons were reduced to ten men when Curtis MacDonald was issued his second yellow by referee Ryan Kenny for a trip on Fawcett.

The hosts were unlucky not to add their third goal of the night when a clever exchange between Shephard and Danny Williams saw the latter sending a high rising shot over the bar.

It was a great result for The Bluebirds and they now take a short rest before Boxing Day, when they travel to Park Avenue to face Aberystwyth Town.


Wayne Jones (Haverfordwest County Manager):

"What a great bounce-back performance! Last week were awful against Cefn Druids but we worked hard in midweek training, playing much better at the back and really keeping our shape as Rickie Watts, Alaric Jones, Scott Tancock, Daniel Summerfield and Cameron Keech worked hard to keep their shape.

"The midfield was well organised and we overcome the loss of Jack Wilson with a terrific performance from Ben Fawcett, who enever stopped running and put pressure on the Barry defence with his pace and determination to win every ball. He thoroughly deserved his goals.

"Danny Williams also impressed when he came on for Kurtis Rees and the work rate of Corey Sheppard, Elliott Scotcher and Kieran Lewis showed what they can do.

"We had talked about pride in performance in training and it says a great deal about this squad that they could produce such a performance against a very good Barry side."

Ben Fawcett (Haverfordwest substitute):

"No-one likes being on the bench but we play as a squad and so when Jack had to go off early I was determined to make a good impression. I was delighted with my goals but it was a whole-squad performance and we must aim to keep this form up and gain more consistency because this is such a strong league and everyone seems capable of beating everyone else."

Haverfordwest County: Wojciech Gajda, Daniel Summerfield, Alaric Jones, Scott Tancock, Ricky Watts (Captain), Corey Shephard, Cameron Keetch (Jack Britton, 73), Jack Wilson (Ben Fawcett, 7), Kurtis Rees (Danny Williams, 52), Elliot Scotcher, Kieran Lewis.
Substitutes not used: Matt Turner, Marcus Griffiths.
Barry Town United: Mike Lewis, Chris Hugh, Kayne McLaggon (Captain), Jordan Cotterill, David Cotterill, Luke Cummings (Michael George, 73), Curtis Jemmett-Hutson (Josh Graham, 63), Curtis McDonald, Sam Bowen, Clayton Green (Kyle Patten 84), Evan Press. 
Substitutes not used: Josh Gould, Rhys Abbruzzese.
Referee: Ryan Kenny.
Assistants: Harry Hendricks & Ashley Davis.
Fourth Official: John Davies.