Excellent away win for Haverfordwest County in north Wales

Super sub Jack Wilson opened the scoring against the Silkmen


JD Cymru Premier:


Caernarfon Town 1 – Haverfordwest County 4

Haverfordwest County’s impressive away form continued with another excellent win, this time against Caernarfon Town at The Oval.

After last week’s disappointing 0-3 defeat at home to Flint Town, it was important that the Bluebirds bounced back in a positive manner, and boy did Wayne Jones’ team do that.

Gaz Edwards gave the Cofis the lead from a towering header at a set-piece, but Ben Fawcett’s magnificent strike was sandwiched between a brace from star man Jack Wilson, whilst substitute Marcus Griffiths also grabbed a late header as the visitors secured three more precious points in North Wales.

The hosts were missing Kieran Lewis and Alaric Jones, both suspended,  so in came goalkeeper Wojchiech Gajda and defender Trystan Jones for their starting line-up debuts, Kurtis Rees replaced the suspended Lewis in midfield and  Danny Williams returned to the team playing behind the front two instead of Mark Jones. There was also a welcome start for defender Scott Tancock who has been out for a while through injury.

Central midfielder Elliot Scotcher tried a shot from distance early on, and he also rattled the crossbar with a wicked free kick.

Ben Fawcett scored a cracking goalRed card for keeper

The Cofis were reduced to ten-men as early as the fifth minute as goalkeeper Josh Tibbetts took down Wilson outside the box and was issued a straight red card. - and without a replacement keeper they had to put midfielder Jamie Crowther between the sticks.

However, despite the numerical difference it was the hosts who took the lead in the 25th minute when  lanky skipper Gaz Edwards nodded in from an excellent set-piece.

The goal came against the run of play as the Bluebirds were controlling matters with plenty of possession.

The Cofis lead was short-lived as the Bluebirds equalised in the 29th minute when Fawcett’s inch perfect low cross was met by Wilson, who finished from close range.

Minutes later Wilson fired high and wide before the lively front man set-up Fawcett, who fired into the net for a superb finish.

Half time lead

Haverfordwest County boss Wayne Jones would have been pleased with his side’s 2-1 lead at half time.

A minute after the break it was Wilson who latched onto to a terrific Trystan Jones through ball - but the teenager hurried his effort as he lifted his shot over the target.

Wilson looked dangerous every time he had the ball at his feet, and another shot tested the stand-in keeper. Summerfield played in Wilson, but his well struck effort was well saved.

Fawcett touched the ball in the net, but the youngster was penalised for handball -  but in the 56th minute the visitors got an all-important third.

Marcus Griffiths came off the bench to score with a late headerWilson on target

Fawcett quickly closed the keeper down and the ball fell to Wilson who gleefully tucked it into the net to give his side a comfortable 3-1 cushion.

On the hour mark, Danny Williams was replaced by Mark Jones. In the 64th minute star man Wilson was replaced by Marcus Griffiths. In the 78th minute Fawcett was replaced by Jack Britton.

In the 87th minute Marcus Griffiths nodded home the fourth to give the the visitors a fantastic win.

There were no further goals, but it was Wayne Jones’ men who were delighted with the result. What a difference a week makes!

Caernarfon Town: J. Tibbetts, J. Williams, G. John, G. Edwards (Captain), A. Fernandes Mendes, M. Hayes, D. Thomas, D. Brookwell, J. Crowther, M. Parker, J. Kenny.
Substitutes: J. Flemming, S. Jones, R. Williams, T. Williams.

Haverfordwest County: Wojciech Gajda, Daniel Summerfield, Trystan Jones, Sean Pemberton (Captain), Scott Tancock, Ricky Watts, Ben Fawcett (78, Jack Britton), Jack Wilson (64, Marcus Griffiths), Kurtis Rees, Elliot Scotcher, Danny Williams (60, Mark Jones).

Substitutes not used: Matthew Turner (GK), Cameron Keetch.

Referee: Nicholas Pratt.

Assistants: Martin Roberts & Andy Harris.

Fourth Official: Cheryl Foster.


Wolvesy’ is delighted!

Manager Wayne Jones was delighted with the result and performanceA delighted Wayne ‘Wolvesy’ Jones spoke to PembrokeshireSport.co uk as the players were buying some takeaway food for the long home journey from Tesco’s in Caernarvon.
He was rightly jubilant as The Bluebirds made it four points from their two tussles with Caernarvon Town – and moved into sixth place as their reward!
The squad and coaches stayed overnight at the Premier Inn in Caernarvon after a four-hour trip, and after a relaxed breakfast took a stroll around the castle town before getting to the Oval – whilst ‘Wolvesy’ also managed  a short visit to see his 92 year old great-aunt, Peggy Rowlands, have a cup of tea and a big slice of cake, before re-joining the squad!
Delighted by the whole performance
“What a change in performance after last week’s poor performance at home to Flint – we showed our ability to bounce back with a fantastic team display after going behind and then firing home four goals of our own.
“I know they lost their keeper Josh Tibbetts after he shanked a ball straight to Jack (Wilson) and then hauled him down, with midfielder Jamie Crowther taking over in goal, but we really played well with our back five boosted by a debut for Trystan Jones and with Scott Tancock playing well alongside skipper Sean Pemberton, Ricky Watts and Daniel Sommerfield.
“Elliott Scotcher, Danny Williams and especially Kurtis Rees ruled the midfield as he won the man of the match as our ‘midfield warrior’.
“Wilson and Fawcett used their pace to cause mayhem up front and Marcus Griffiths came on to score a late goal and look back to something like their best form.
Now we have three home games in eight days, starting with Aberystwyth on Tuesday evening – so we must maintain our momentum and start winning at home!”