Canaries grab late goals to knock Bluebirds off perch

Action from the Oval where Caernarfon Town beat Haverfordwest County on opening day of season


JD Welsh Cymru


Caernarfon Town 2 - Haverfordwest County 0

Caernarfon Town sealed a two-goal victory against Haverfordwest County in the opening game of the season at the Oval.

This league clash was televised live by Sgorio on S4C, and the Canaries grabbed late goals through Dan Gossett and Cai Jones to secure the points.

Haverfordwest County manager Wayne Jones felt his team let the game slip away due to a couple of defensive blips which proved costly.

Idzi is back

This was goalkeeper Lee Idzi’s first game back in the Welsh Premier League for the Bluebirds,  whilst Ben Fawcett returned to the starting line-up and Jazz Richards also started.

The Canaries applied early pressure which the visitors comfortably dealt with before Cai Jones headed over the bar for the first scare. Minutes later Aaron Simpson rose above everyone to head over the bar.

The visitors created a decent chance when Kieran Lewis set-up midfielder Corey Shepard who drilled a low shot inch past the post. Striker Fawcett did well to fend off defenders before he frustratingly dragged his shot wide.

Simpson curled an effort just past the post, before the Bluebirds had two chances just before the break. Firstly, Fawcett’s shot from a tight angle was blocked, secondly Shephard struck a drive straight to Ojrzynski.

Good saves by Ojrzynski

The visitors made a positive start to the second half as Jazz Richards’ wicked cross bounced off the knee of Henry Jones inside the box.

Fawcett, Jones, and Kieran Lewis linked up before the Lewis forced a good near post save by Ojrzynski.

The Bluebirds continued to push as Henry Jones unleashed a powerful shot which Ojrzynski tipped over the crossbar. Jones drilled a direct free kick which Ojrzynski palmed away.

Gosset opens scoring

In the 72nd minute, Dan Gosset scored the opener at the Cofi Army end with a low struck direct free kick which beat Idzi.

Nine minutes from full time the Canaries should have added a further goal as Sion Bradley dragged his shot wide with a one-on-one with Idzi.

Substitute Patten had a half chance of an equaliser for the visitors, but his tame shot didn’t trouble Ojrzynski.

Deep in injury time the Canaries added a second goal to safely secure the points, as sloppy defending by the Bluebirds allowed Cai Jones to take advantage as he deftly chipped Idzi.

The Bluebirds’ next game is at the Bridge Meadow Stadium on Friday, 20th August against Cardiff Met. Don’t forget the club have kindly given permission for free entry to all fans for this game, kick off 7.45pm.

Haverfordwest County manager Wayne Jones.

“No disrespect to Caernarfon but I felt the score line flattered them. We defended poorly for the goal from the free kick, we also switched off right at the end for the second.

“We go again on Friday night for our first league game at home against Cardiff Met, I will be looking for a positive reaction for our fans.”

Caernarfon Town: Ojrzynski, G. John, Evans, Donohue (Capt.), Bradley, Gossett, Thomas, R. Hughes (89, G. Dafydd), Simpson (61, Cartwright), R. Williams, C. Jones.
Substitutes not used: French, Murtas, Tomlinson.

Haverfordwest County: Lee Idzi, Dylan Rees (Capt), Ricky Watts, Dan Summerfield, Jazz Richards, Scott Tancock (75, Jack Wilson), Corey Shephard, Kieran Lewis, Henry Jones, Kurtis Rees (83 Kyle Patten), Ben Fawcett.
Substitutes not used: Wojciech Gajda, Mason Thomas-Jones.

Referee: Simon Evans.
Assistants: Ian Bird and Ashley Davis.
Fourth Official: Thomas Owen.