Vikings just miss out on the Welsh Veterans' Silverware

Runners up Hakin United Over 40s


Welsh Veterans Final:

Hakin United Over 40s 2 - Cardiff Corries Over 40s 3

It was a case of close but no silverware again for the Hakin United Over 40s as they were beaten 3-2 by Cardiff Corries in their Welsh Cup final at Ystrad Mynach.

The Veteran Vikings battled hard to stay in it via two goals from Paul Jones after being 2-0 and then 3-1 down, but ultimately had to settle for being runners up for the second successive season after Matthew Price was unlucky to have a successful strike ruled out late on.

On the 4G surface, it was the Corries who went ahead after just 14 minutes as striker Kevin Crock pounced from six yards to score – despite a brave effort from Hakin keeper Jason ‘Bomber’ Morgan.

Slow start by Veteran Vikings

The Pembrokeshire team were struggling to get going although Michael Cooper had a penalty shout turned down, before left back Mike Hill went close to a second for the Corries as he blasted a low shot across the face of goal.

Then midway through the half it was 2-0, as Jon Manley jinked into the box and slotted past Morgan. But 'Bomber' then kept his side in it, doing brilliantly to back track and tip Simon Trueman’s lob over the bar, which proved crucial as a minute later, Hakin grabbed a lifeline.

Stuart MacDonald drove in a low shot from the right that Corries keeper Carl Wadsworth could only parry into the path of Jones, and he made no mistake from a tight angle.

Morgan was again at his best to deny Hill before half time and the game was still in the balance at the break.

Vikings restart with intent but get caught by  a sucker punch

Hakin came out with more attacking intent in the second half and Leighton Edwards hit the bar from long range – but soon they were hit by a sucker punch as Crock went clean through and cleverly dinked his effort home.

Again the Veteran Vikings fought back though as Nigel Delaney blasted a free kick that was handled by a defender in the wall, and ‘Jonah’ put the penalty into the bottom right hand corner.

Manager Gary Dawes had Jones, Michael McCarthy and Price all up front in the closing stages and it seemed as if the latter had levelled when he latched onto a ball over the top and volleyed into the roof of the net, only to see the flag raised as he turned to celebrate.

Further pressure came at both ends but time ran out for Hakin - and it was Corries left celebrating silverware.

But despite the defeat, Dawes' squad can still reflect on another excellent season in Welsh Veterans’ football, where they have flown the Pembrokeshire Flag with distinction and are rightly respected all across the South Wales’ corridor - and they will be expected to challenge again in both league and cup next season.

Hakin United squad (rolling subs): Jason Morgan, Adam Collins, Richard Bland, Simon Rocke, Nigel Armstrong, Stuart MacDonald, Leighton Edwards, Michael Cooper, Richard Nash, Leigh Walters, Michael McCarthy, Paul Jones, Matthew Price, Ali Davies, Nigel Delaney, Jamie Phillips.

Cardiff Corries squad: Carl Wadsworth, Matty Allwood, Mike Hill, David Blackwell, Adam Govier, Ed Jones, Jamie Murray, Ben Jones, Simon Truman, Kevin Crock, Lee Brooker, Paul Isaac, Jason Donovan, Jon Manley, Jason Gordon, Chris Summers.

Referee: Steve May.

Assistants: Gareth Mullins and Mike Harries.