Tom took control from the outset

Tom Bevan and assistants

Tom Bevan and assistants
Pre-match chat with captains


West Wales Intermediate Cup Final
(Sponsored by Tony Nakonecznyj Insurance Brokers):

Tuesday, May 9th, was an important date for local football referee Tom Bevan as he officiated at the West Wales Cup Final between Team Swansea and CRC Rangers at the Liberty Stadium, the footballing home of Swansea City.

Pre-match chat with captainsTom's selection for West Wales Football's big day was fitting reward for his performances this season as one of the most respected officials and he showed his skills from the outset as there were very few areas of contention from Team Swansea, the local university side who had already won the Swansea Senior League, or CRC Rangers, who hail from the Morriston area and have gained promotion to the top echelon for next season.

A noticeable feature of Tom's performance was his quiet control as he constantly kept up with play, running good angles and showing his excellent fitness levels. He also linked well with assistants James Shiels and Phil Harries, plus fourth official Angus Scourfield, another Pembrokeshire referee.

The players responded well to his quiet but firm authority and there was just one yellow card, for handling the ball in midfield, and very few caustic comments about his eyesight or parentage from the supporters in both camps!

This is a brief pundit’s breakdown of Tom Bevan's successful participation:

First 15 minutes: Whatever Tom had said to both skippers pre-match there were no reckless tackles as the teams sized each other up and he kept up a dialogue with them throughout what might have been a difficult period of play.

18th & 19th Minutes: CRC Rangers' players Tom Blackburn and Chrissie Smith went down under pressure in the Team Swansea box but Tom was only ten yards away and when he waved play on there were no complaints!

23rd Minute: Tom awarded Team Swansea a corner on the left and powerful striker Farai Hwenga was given too much space inside the CRC six yard box and crashed his free header past a helpless Johnny Harding.

28th Minute: Tom Blackburn was involved again in the Team Swansea box but Mr Bevan again waved play on from close range and quite rightly so!

36th Minute: Perhaps the only moment in 97 minutes of play that we might have disagreed because a clumsy tackle on CRC player Corey Young saw him limp off for a while but then returned to action. Afterwards Tom admitted that a yellow card did cross his mind but he felt a stern lecture was enough on the balance of events up until that moment!

59 Minutes: A strong challenge by Hwenga on CRC keeper Harding saw the ball break loose but before the Team Swansea players could benefit Tom was again handily placed and blew for a free kick.

61st Minute: Team Swansea seemed to be well in control but referee Bevan allowed CRC advantage and chunky front man Ceri Cook swung a hopeful left foot from outside the area which rattled the crossbar!
83rd Minute: The only yellow card appeared from Mr Bevan's pocket when Team Swansea's Dan Barnard was adjudged to have handled the ball as CRC looked to attack - and could have few complaints about the decision.

93rd Minute: A Team Swansea defender seemed to haul back a CRC player out on the right but a free kick without a caution was the decision since Tom deemed that both players were as bad as each other, the final one of an interesting match where Tom was rightly congratulated by players and West Wales FA officials afterwards.

He received his commemorative trophy from Jean Wooler, the chairperson of the West Wales Football Association and told us afterwards that he had really enjoyed the experience and the honour.

Trevor Morgans (who travelled to The Liberty Stadium as a Manderwood Pembrokeshire League committee man to give support) and I were in accord on the final outcome - Tom Bevan had flown the Pembrokeshire Flag with distinction and further enhanced the reputation of match officials from this county with others from 'up the line'!