Neyland and Kilgetty win semi finals to reach 2018 DR Morris Cup Final

Andrew Miller took four crucial wickets for Neyland

Andrew Miller took four crucial wickets for Neyland

DR Morris Cup Semi-finals:


‘Windy’s bowling helps Neyland beat The Town

Haverfordwest (100-9) lost to Neyland (103-6) by 4 wickets

Umpires: Trefor Evans and Steve Blowes
Scorers: Jayne Cole and John Laugharne
Venue: Pill Parks, Llangwm CC
A haul of 4-13 from Andrew Miller proved crucial as Neyland came through another tight, low scoring affair with Haverfordwest to reach the DR Morris Cup final.

In a game superbly hosted by Llangwm CC, Sean Hannon's men restricted The Town to just 100-9 in 20 overs, and then chased it down with more than three overs to spare as Ashley Sutton and Gregg Miller saw them over the line.

Bad start for The Town . . .

Hannon opted to field after winning the toss, but even he couldn't have envisaged such a good start as twin brother Patrick trapped Adam James LBW first ball of the game.

In the next over Henry Durrant forced Ben Field (1) into spooning a catch to Nick Koomen and after two overs, both openers were gone and The Town were in trouble at 2-2.

Then Lee Summons was joined by the in-form Simon Holliday, and the latter was soon in the groove, cracking Hannon for a straight six before later sending two full tosses from the same bowler to the fence.
But then in the eighth over, he mistimed a sweep shot off Geraint Rees and was caught behind by Sean Hannon for 22, and when Andrew Miller's first ball dismissed Summons (6) in the same fashion, Danny Potter's side were 32-4.

. . . And no real momentum thereafter

The skipper himself and Dai Davies tried to turn the tide and they put on 27 before both fell in Miller's 14th over, Davies (17) caught by Koomen after a four and a six - and Potter's (12) fierce straight drive was brilliantly gathered one handed by the bowler himself.

Huw Scriven (2) holed out to Patrick Bellerby on the boundary and Sanjay Gurong was caught by a diving Gregg Miller off Durrant to give him 2-19 - and at 68-8 The Town were struggling to make three figures.
But they were given hope by No 10 Kieran O'Connor, who struck three fours and a six in his 24 not out before being run out from the last ball of the innings, as he and Jake Merry (9 not out) put on 32.

Better start for Neyland . . .

Neyland had failed to chase down just 113 in last Thursday's Harrison Allen Bowl defeat at Cresselly, but any lingering nerves in this chase were seemingly settled by Paul Murray, who launched a Holliday full toss for six in the second over.

But moments later his partner Bellerby (5) was caught by Summons off the all-rounder, although Murray continued in the same vein in what proved an eventful fifth over.

He hit Johnny White for two leg side fours and a six, but then was out for 21 as he top edged to Davies in the off side, leaving matters at 31-2.

That slowed the rate and when Holliday bowled Scott Jones on his way to 2-7 in four overs, which included Murray's maximum, Haverfordwest sensed real hope.

. . . And they stay calm under pressure

Nick Koomen and Andrew Miller patiently took matters to 62-4 when Koomen was caught by Potter off Summons for 18 (four fours), but Miller seemed set to guide Neyland home as he reached 20 before being needlessly run out in a mix up with Ashley Sutton.

But although Henry Durrant (3) was bowled by James, Sutton stood firm with 15 not out, including a sweet straight six off O'Connor, and in the 17th over Gregg Miller finished things off with back to back boundaries off James.

It means a fifth DR Morris final for Neyland in six years - and they will play Kilgetty in the final at Oatfield Park, Burton.

Kyle and Dafydd seal Kilgetty semi-final success

Whitland (181-3) lost to Kilgetty (183-4) by 6 wickets

Umpires: Les Hastings and Dennis Chiffi.
Scorers: Ann-Marie Jenkins and Hazel Poole
Venue: Cresselly Cricket Club
For the first time since 1997, Kilgetty will contest a DR Morris Cup final after a brilliant unbroken partnership of 73 between Kyle Marsh and Dafydd Bevan sealed a six-wicket win over Whitland.

Cresselly was the venue on another perfect evening for cricket in Pembrokeshire, and a knock of 94 not out from Whitland opener Dylan Blain had seemingly put the holders in the driving seat as they made 181-3 in 20 overs.

But after Kilgetty had fallen to 110-4 in their reply, Marsh (46 not out) and Bevan (36 not out) turned the tide with some brilliant big hitting to get their side home with 14 balls to spare.

Blain stars in Whitland’s big total

Ross Hardy had opted to field after winning the toss, and the skipper himself checked Whitland’s early progress, trapping Jack Bowen (4) LBW after he and Blain had made 15 in the first two overs.

That brought in Steffan James though, prompting a partnership of 116 that lasted until the 16th over.

James himself made 46 with six fours and a maximum, before being well caught by Toby Poole in the deep as he tried to go big off Liam Cullen.

In what proved to be Cullen’s only over, Jonathan Strawbridge (8) then came in and cracked a six before holing out to Jordan Gormon off Poole – but Blain continued to tick over, eventually ending 94 not out after a classy innings that included 15 fours and a six.

He was joined by skipper Iestyn Scourfield, who hit a six and survived being dropped by keeper Bevan off Hardy in the final over to make 8 not out, helping his side to 181-3.

For Kilgetty, Hardy finished 1-30, Jack Parkinson 0-26, Kurtis Marsh 0-21, Richard Cope 0-28, Kyle Marsh 0-28, Poole 1-33 and Cullen 1-14.

Solid start to Kilgetty reply

It was Kurtis Marsh and Poole who then got their reply off to a solid start with a stand of 44, but in the sixth over the latter came down the track to spinner Bowen and was duly stumped by Blain for 11 (two fours).

And it was Wayne Howells in the seventh over who then put Whitland in charge, bowling Liam Cullen (1) before Marsh was brilliantly caught by Scourfield from a powerful hook shot, having made 27 (five fours).
Hardy and Kyle Marsh redressed the balance, taking matters to 110-3 before Hardy top edged a James delivery and was caught by Blain for 35 (three fours and two sixes).

Vital counter-attack

But Marsh and Bevan counter attacked and with the score 131for 4 the latter smashing three sixes off Ben Harvey’s 16th over as the pair took 22 off it and suddenly, just 29 runs were needed off 24 balls.

That became 13 off 18 balls as 16 came off James in the 17th over, and Marsh was in no mood to hang around as he then hit three boundaries and ran a two off the first four balls from Connor Bowen to finish matters.

Marsh finished with five fours and a six in his unbeaten 46, and Bevan four sixes and two fours in his 36 not out.

For Whitland, Scourfield finished 0-19, Harvey 0-37, Jack Bowen 1-32, Howells 2-31, James 1-38, and Connor Bowen 0-14.

It means Kilgetty will target regaining the DR Morris Cup for the first time in 21 years when they face Neyland in the final - to be held at Burton on Sunday, July 15th.

Dylan Blain scored an impressive 94 not out for Whitland

Dylan Blain scored an impressive 94 not out for Whitland