Goodwick dramatically win cup on penalties

Wild celebrations for cup winners Goodwick United 2nds 

Pictures supplied by Matthew Kelly of Rawphtotgraphy


Manderwood Pembrokeshire Football League –
2024 Division 3 Cup Final


Solva 1 – Goodwick United 2nds 1

(Goodwick win 7-6 on penalties)

It took 120 minutes and 19 penalties, but the Third Division Cup is in the hands of Goodwick United 2nds after they overcame Solva on penalties in what proved the tightest of cup finals at the Ogi Bridge Meadow Stadium, writes Fraser Watson. 
The clock was ticking towards 10pm when Haydn Smith finally settled matters by burying his spot-kick, following a frenzied shootout in front of a crowd of vociferous more than 650 people. It had been a penalty that had come close to brining the Phoenix Boys glory in normal time with Dan Bryce putting them ahead, before Kieran Price volleyed home a late and deserved equaliser.
After an extra 30 minutes during which Solva’s Morgan Elliott saw red, and five penalties each, the sides couldn’t be separated and eventually it was Smith who seized the chance to win it and sudden death after Solva’s Albie Burden had fired over.
Some three hours previous to that moment the game had started at a frantic pace, with neither side able to command possession for long periods. The speed and threat of Solva striker Robbie Jenkins was a feature for the night and he forced Goodwick keeper Joe Docker into cutting out a low cross with his feet early on, before shooting wide from the edge of the area.
At the other end Gary Reynolds shot straight at Luke Phillips, who then blocked Ethan Priestley’s angled shot after the winger had gone through on goal.
On the brink of half-time, the Greens should have gone ahead when Jenkins got in behind the defence but shot agonisingly wide before Docker did well to tip Luke Mason’s swerving cross away from under his crossbar.
The second half followed a similar pattern and the desire of both sets of players was evident as tackles flew in. Solva’s Finn Isles cut down the right and teed up Jenkins, who was crowded out from close range, and from point blank range Goodwick skipper Jake Smith headed over from Nial Kinsella’s cross.
But with 19 minutes left the deadlock was broken when Josh Wellan broke into the area and was tripped as he tried to skip past Kieran Price. Midfielder Bryce, who as influential over the 120 minutes, duly made no mistake from 12 yards.
Solva centre-back Price duly made amends with six minutes remaining though after an Isles corner was cleared into his path, and from 15 yards out he steered his effort into the corner and beyond the diving Docker.
It was Richard Bland’s side who then pushed forward in extra time with sub Billy Clift twice going close before Jenkins got on the end of a long ball forward but his lobbed effort over Docker bounced across goal. He was taken out by the keeper after making contact, with Docker seeing yellow before saving from Elliott’s subsequent free kick.
But it was Elliott, already one of six players cautioned on the night after previously clashing with Bryce, who then sent off by referee Alan Boswell for a perceived boy check and just moments later, the official blew for penalties.
It was Goodwick who blinked first as Seamus Drake blasted over, before Docker saved from Mason and Phillips denied Tyler Morris. It was Solva keeper Phillips who then had the chance to win it at 3-2 up as the fifth taker but could only put his effort high and wide. Alex O’Sullivan then held his nerve to force sudden death.
Both sides converted their next three penalties but then at 6-6, Burden was off-target and Smith duly hammered high into the net to spark the Phoenix Boys’ celebrations.
“It’s been a long night but I’m absolutely proud of the boys,” said Goodwick manager Chris Morris, who admitted he struggled to watch during the shootout.
“We dug deep. We had some injuries during the game but the team, even the olds heads, kept going and got us through.”

Runners up Solva

Solva: Luke Phillips, Luke Mason, Harry Elliott (Craig Challonder 92’), Morgan Elliott, Kieran Price, Ryan Thomas (Billy Clift 68’), Fin Isles, Sam Price, Robert Jenkins, Josh Bland (Captain), Lucas Price (Albie Budden 90’). Unused subs: Daniel Rees, Francis John-Duarte.
Goodwick United 2nds: Joe Docker, Tyler Morris, Iwan James, Haydn Smith, Kyle Smith (Captain), Joshua Wellan (Goncalo Rocha 46’), Seamus Drake, Niall Kinsella (Alex O’Sullivan 94’), Keegan Summers (Daniel Bryce 40’), Gary Reynolds, Ethan Priestley (Kieran O’Brien 84’). Unused sub: Frankie Pearce.

Match officials - Barry Evans, Alan Boswell, Chris Stapleton and Richard Gwyther.

Referee: Alan Boswell.
Assistants: Chris Stapleton & Barry Evans.
Fourth Official: Richard Gwyther.