Bluebirds dump Ammanford out of the Welsh Cup


FAW Welsh Cup – Round 3


Ricky Watts celebrates scoring the opener for Haverfordwest County


Haverfordwest County 2 – Ammanford AFC 0

Two second-half goals secured Welsh Premier League Haverfordwest County a comfortable passage into the next round against determined Ammanford AFC at the Conygar Bridge Meadow Stadium.
Substitute Ricky Watts’ close range header gave his side the lead which was followed up by a clinical edge of the area strike by Martell Taylor-Crossdale.
It’s fair to say it was a routine win for Haverfordwest County against Tier two opposition whose name is in the hat for round four.
Tony Pennock made three changes to the starting line-up which beat Colwyn Bay last week, goalkeeper Ifan Knott, Kayden Williams-Lowe and Iori Humphreys started plus Ben Fawcett made a welcome return on the bench.
Dan Hawkins directed a near post header wide as the striker got on the end of a decent Kayden Williams-Lowe teasing cross. Minutes later the same man headed straight to keeper Luke Martin from inside the box.
Ammanford’s Lewis Reed saw his goal bound shot blocked from inside the box, the Bluebirds were forced to make a change in the 29th minute as Watts replaced Tyrese Owen in midfield.
Six minutes before the interval the hosts went close as Hawkins’ dangerous free kick in the area was headed over the crossbar by Taylor-Crossdale, minutes later defender Jenkins let fly from inside the box but flew wide.
Pennock made his second change at the break as he brought on Jacob Owen for  Williams-Lowe.
The hosts finally broke the deadlock in the 52nd minute when Jenkins’ header across goal found Watts who headed home from close range. Hawkins saw another header dealt with by Martin who pushed it wide for a corner.
On 66 minutes the hosts bagged their second of the tie, Oscar Borg laid an inviting ball to Taylor-Crossdale who drilled home from the edge of the 18 yard box for fourth goal in two games.
Ben Fawcett came on for Hawkins after a few weeks out, the substitute looking to quickly get back into the swing of things, three  minutes from full time teenager Daniel John replaced goal scorer Martell-Crossdale.
Bluebirds’ goalkeeper pulled off a stunning late save to deny Tristan Jenkins’ well struck free kick.
There were no further goals as the Bluebirds safely progressed into the next  round without any drama.
Before kicking off a minute’s silence was held to remember ‘Armistice Day’ and also former Haverfordwest County player Ronnie Rees, who sadly passed away. He played for the Bluebirds at the end of a glittering career where he won 39 caps for Wales, played more than 300 games for Coventry City in the Football League, also had spells for West Bromwich Albion, Nottingham Forest, and Swansea City.
Haverfordwest County: Ifan Knott, Danny Hawkins (73’ Ben Fawcett), Martell Taylor-Crossdale (87’ Daniel John), Harri John, Lee Jenkins, Rio Dyer, Tyrese Owen (29’ Ricky Watts), Oscar Borg, Kayden Williams-Lowe (45’ Jacob Owen), Iori Humphreys, Luke Tabone (Captain).
Unused substitute: Zac Jones.
Ammanford: Luke Martin, Ellis Williams, Liam Samuel, Euros Griffiths, Nicholas Arnold, Harry Huddart (77’ Thomas Pratt), Morgan Clarke (67’ Callum Thomas), Adam Orme (Captain), Adam John, Lewis Reed (78’ Mark Jones), Tristan Jenkins (93’ Lewis Rocke).
Unused substitute: Jack Lansdown.
Referee: Ryan Kenny.
Assistants: Connor Thomas and Steffan Davies.

Haverfordwest County mark their respects for Armistice Day and the late Ronnie Rees