Toms fires Swansea University to victory against nine-man Bluebirds

Marcus Griffiths added his name to the score sheet 

Photo: Marcus Griffiths missed a penalty for Haverfordwest County


Haverfordwest County 0 – Swansea University 1

Wiliam Toms grabbed a second half winner to secure Swansea University victory over stunned nine-man Haverfordwest County at the Bridge Meadow on Friday night.

After a goalless first period, things livened up in the second period, striker Marcus Griffiths missed a penalty, minutes later skipper Sean Pemberton was issued a straight red for a reckless challenge, and then Toms struck the winner. And to make matters worse Jack Britton also saw red.

This smash and grab victory for Swansea University ended the Bluebirds’ eight match unbeaten run, and what hurt the home camp more is the University have leap-frogged the hosts to go a point clear at the top of the table.

This was a twist in the race for the title, the Bluebirds created the better chances, had they won they could have gone five points clear, but they didn’t and are now a point adrift in second spot.

Bluebirds pressed early and Kieran Howard had a first sight of goal, the midfielder getting on the end of Ben Fawcett’s cross from the right, but it deflected off centre back Oliver Roberts and flew over the crossbar.
Minutes later and Harri Rowe’s cross from the left caused danger in the box and again Howard fired over the bar.

In the 26th minute the visitors carved out their first decent chance, Ahmed Sayes struggled with Scott Tancock, but the striker unselfishly squared to Airon Sobers-Assue, who fired low straight to keeper Kelland Absalom.

Minutes later at the other end and visiting keeper Luke Martin pulled off a stunning save to deny Fawcett, who struck a wicked shot goalbound.

In the 38th minute more chaos inside the visitors’ box where Miles John somehow missed an opportunity from inside the six-yard box when he really should have opened his side’s account.

In the 53rd minute the hosts were awarded a penalty as Marcus Griffiths was taken down inside the box, the striker dusted himself off and struck his 12-yard smack against the post. What a let off!

Minutes later and Tim Hicks drilled a low shot straight at Martin.

On the hour mark Bluebirds skipper Sean Pemberton was issued a straight for a sliding tackle with studs up which caught Oliver Roberts. Immediately Wayne Jones took of Fawcett and replaced him with the vastly experienced Nicky Palmer.

But the visitors drew first blood as Wiliam Toms drilled in at Kelland Absalom at his near post.

There was no further drama as the visitors got the all important three points and Wayne Jones’ Bluebirds were left to reflect on if only, they had taken their chances on the night.

On the stroke of full time Jack Britton was sent off for another reckless challenge as the hosts finished the game with nine men and discipline had completely gone

On Saturday, 8th February, Haverfordwest County entertain Cwmbran Celtic at the Bridge Meadow Stadium, kick off 2.30pm.

Haverfordwest County: Kelland Absalom, Miles John (75 Jack Wilson), Harri Rowe, Sean Pemberton (Captain), Kieran Howard, Scott Tancock, Ricky Watts, Jack Britton, Ben Fawcett (60 Nicky Palmer), Marcus Griffiths (85 Corey Saunders), Tim Hicks.
Substitute not used: Jake Merry, Steve Hall.

Swansea University: Luke Martin, Daniel Sheehan, Elliot Jones, Hugh Cowan, Daniel Barnard, Oliver Roberts, Airon Sobers-Assue, Nathan Townsend (68 Cameron Langan), Ahmed Sayes, Wiliam Toms.
Substitutes not used: Edward Richardson, Harry Davies, Larry Cornish, Axel Owusu, Jordan Hughes.

Referee: Dan Richardson.
Assistants: David Badger, Joseph Proietti.