Hot shot Davies bags brace for delighted Bluebirds

Two-goal hero Jordan Davies on the break

JD Cymru Premier – Play Off Conference



Haverfordwest County 2 – Barry Town United 0

Jordan Davies bagged a brace for Haverfordwest County, who overcame relegation-haunted Barry Town United at the Bridge Meadow Stadium on Good Friday afternoon in front of a decent crowd.
On-loan striker Davies scored a goal in each half to secure back-to-back victories for Nicky Hayen’s resurgent team.
At 2-0 down the visitors were awarded a penalty that Lee Idzi superbly saved, the keeper palming away Kayne McLaggon’s low effort to his left from 12 yards.
This victory ensured the Bluebirds are top of the Play Off Conference, but more importantly it has ensured they will remain in the top flight next season, while the visitors sit uncomfortably second from bottom and in danger of making the dreaded drop.

Bluebirds dominate

The hosts dominated the first half as the visitors didn’t really trouble Idzi, other than for an early strike by McLaggon.
Davies struck a low ball across the six-yard box which  only needed a touch but it evaded everyone, Ben Fawcett played in Kieran Lewis but the midfielder’s shot flew wide, and minutes later the same player toe- poked wide as keeper Michael Lewis fumbled inside the area.

Jordan Davies celebrates

Excellent strike

In the 19th minute the hosts opened the scoring when Fawcett’s excellent ball down the left wing fell to Davies before the striker dribbled inside the box, beat a defender for pace and unleashed an unstoppable low drive which crashed into the back of the net.
Minutes later Henry Jones curled a wicked shot just wide, and the busy midfielder also saw his deflected shot tipped away by Lewis.
The hosts continued to dominate affairs as livewire Fawcett’s cross found Davies, but he failed to get a decent connection. Fawcett’s header from a corner was blocked as he chased everything and threatened a harrassed Barry back four. .
At the other end Marcus Day drilled a shot over the bar, a reminder that the visitors were very much in the game.
Just before the break man of the match Davies flashed a low ball across Lewis’ box, and any touch could have found the net.

Crucial second goal

In the 57th minute The Bluebirds grabbed a crucial second goal with a flowing move, Kieran Lewis’ excellent crossfield pass from deep put Fawcett away down the right,and  the latter’s pinpoint ball into the box fell to Davies, who slid in with a defender to get the crucial goal-scoring touch.

Superb penalty save by Idzi

In the 64th minute the visitors were given a possible lifeline when they were awarded a penalty as Kurtis Rees caught Clayton Green heavily. Up stepped McLaggon, who struck his penalty firmly, but Idzi pulled off a terrific save to ensure he kept a clean sheet.
Minutes later Jazz Richards pulled off a brilliant tackle to deny McLaggon getting his shot away and also Rhys Kavanagh struck a rising shot wide of the target.
Alhagi Touray Sisay took a heavy knock to his shoulder near the end of the game and the Spaniard was stretchered off and taken to hospital and replaced by Alex Worley, but the Bluebirds deservedly held on for the all-important points.
On Easter Monday, 18th April, Haverfordwest County travel to Connah’s Quay Nomads for a stern test at the Deeside Stadium but already knowing they are safe with two games still in hand - and with a chance of ending up as leaders of the conference section.
Haverfordwest County: Lee Idzi, Jazz Richards, Elliot Scotcher, Ben Fawcett, Henry Jones (66, Jack Wilson), Dylan Rees (Captain), Kurtis Rees, Kieran Lewis (81, Alhagi Touray Sisay – 90, Alex Worley), Ryan George, Ricky Watts, Jordan Davies.
Substitutes not used: Zac Jones, Lucas Davies.
Barry Town United: Michael Lewis, Kayne McLaggon (Captain), Rhys Kavanagh (80, Nat Jarvis), Marcus Day (70, Callum Sainty), Theo Wharton, Rhys Abbruzzese, Luke Cooper (70, Chris Hugh), Clayton Green (69, Jordan Cotterill), Jonathan Hood (81, Harry Jones), Evan Press, Michael George.
Substitutes not used: Kelland Absalom, Mervyn Bennett.
Referee: Richard Harrington.
Assistants: Ross Edwards & Johnathon Bebee-Bryant.
Fourth Official: Bryn Markham-Jones.

Lee Idzi saves a penalty for Bluebirds