Bluebirds' five match unbeaten run ends with narrow defeat at Penybont

Alhagi Touray Sisay scored a consolation goal for Haverfordwest County in stoppage time


JD Cymru Premier League


Penybont 2 -Haverfordwest County 1

Haverfordwest County’s five match unbeaten run came to an end as they narrowly lost against Penybont at The SDM Glass Stadium under lights.

Second half goals from Nathan Wood and Billy Borge secured a thoroughly deserved three points for the Bridgend outfit despite Alhagi Touray Sisay who scored in stoppage time goal for the visitors.

County manager Wayne Jones was forced to make a couple of changes from the team that won 2-0 at Cardiff Met on Saturday.

Alaric Jones came in for skipper Dylan Rees, the latter moved to the bench, Kurtis Rees replaced injured midfielder Kieran Lewis as Elliot Scotcher took over the armband.

After a cagey opening it was the hosts who created the first real chance as Harling struck a low drive from outside the 18-yard area wide.

Minutes later Danny Williams’ shot deflected for a corner, plus Ben Fawcett’s shot from inside the box was flagged offside. Scotcher’s 25-yard free kick flew over the crossbar, Jack Wilson’s teasing cross flew across the face of goal inviting a final touch. Penybont’s Sam Snaith headed wide as it stayed goalless at half time.

Five minutes after the break the hosts gained the momentum as Billy Borge met James Waite’s cross as his header crashed against the post.

Wood strikes from outside box

In the 54th minute Bridgend finally broke the deadlock, as Wood was given far too much space outside the box, and he punished the visitors as he lashed the ball home from outside the box.

Bluebirds’ keeper Wojciech Gadja got down superbly to deny Wood from the edge of the 18-yard area. Snaith went close to adding his side’s second as he was denied from point blank range.

The visitors made a double substitution as Mason Jones-Thomas came on for Wilson and Dylan Rees replaced Alaric Jones in defence.

Crucial second goal for Penybont

In the 74th minute Penybont grabbed their crucial second goal of the night, Borge stabbed in from close range.

Late in the match Fawcett fired over the crossbar, in stoppage time Touray Sisay pulled one back, but his effort was a classic case of too little too late for the mis firing Bluebirds.

Penybont: A. Morris, K. Owen (73, L. Walsh), A. Evans, D. Jefferies, M. Davies, L. Harling, N. Wood, J. Waite, S. Snaith (68, B. Ahmun), B. Borge, K. Watts (85, J. Evans).
Substitutes not used: S. Goodwin, S. Winter-Coles, R. Reynolds, T. Tweedy.

Haverfordwest County: W. Gajda, Jazz Richards (93, I. Humphries), E. Scotcher, A. Jones (64, D. Rees), R. Watts, B. Fawcett, J. Wilson (64, M. Jones-Thomas), K. Rees, A. Touray Sisay, K. Patten, D. Williams.
Substitute not used: L. Idzi.

Referee: Richard Harrington.
Assistants: Johnathon Bebee-Bryant & Cilan Thomas.
Fourth Official: Bryn Markham-Jones