Bluebirds' blast-off in first half

Elliot Scotcher scored with a free kick and from the penalty spot for the Bluebirds

Elliot Scotcher scored with a free kick and from the penalty spot for the Bluebirds
Tom Dyson surges forward
Tim Hicks in charge for the night


Haverfordwest County 4 - Taffs Well 0

Tom Dyson surges forwardAn intense first 45 minutes got the job done for Haverfordwest County as they scored four times to blow away Taffs Well and stay on course for a top two finish.

Just seven days beforehand, the Bluebirds had battled to a 1-0 win against the Cardiff side away from home - but encountered few problems in this return tussle with goals from Sean Pemberton, Elliot Scotcher (2), and Ben Fawcett.

Pembs power header gets Bluebirds under way

With manager Wayne Jones abroad it was left to assistant Tim Hicks and coach Mickey Ellis to take care of proceedings, and they saw their side lead within eight minutes.

Fawcett had already fired over from a Jack Wilson cross before Elliot Scotcher’s corner was met by skipper Pemberton – and his bullet header beat the outstretched dive of Taffs Well keeper Glyn Garner.

The goal gave the centre back double figures for the season for the first time in his Welsh League career.

Scotcher’s sublime strike and buried spot kick

And just four minutes later it was 2-0 as Scotcher curled a sublime 25 yard free kick over the wall and into the net.

Taffs Well had their first moment of threat as Christian Davies’ fierce 20 yard shot was tipped just over by home keeper Kyle Stuart – but at the other end the pressure continued as Fawcett did the hard work by rounding Garner only to fire into the side netting.

But on 37 minutes the third goal came as Williams jinked sharply into the area before being taken out by Paul Anney, giving referee Ben Williams no option but to point to the spot.

Scotcher duly buried the penalty low to Garner’s right.

?Tim Hicks in charge for the nightEasy fourth as Wilson and Fawcett combine

The chances kept coming and Elliot Thomas went clean through only to lob inches over, but the fourth goal arrived in injury time when Wilson broke free in the area and with Garner stranded, squared to Fawcett to fire low into an empty net.

The first chance of the second half fell to Williams as he latched onto a long ball forward by left back Harri Rowe only to see his lofted effort palmed wide by Garner.

After that the pace slowed somewhat, although Stuart was called into action again as he dived low to his left to push away Jason Bertorelli’s shot.

In the dying moments the Bluebirds had a chance for a fifth when Fawcett teed up Wilson, but his shot from point blank range was superbly blocked by former Welsh international Garner.

Fawcett also fired narrowly wide but all in all it was a good night’s work for the Bluebirds, who now finish their season with away games at Llantwit Major (Saturday) and Undy Athletic (Tuesday).

Haverfordwest County: Kyle Stuart, Jake Merry, Harri Rowe, Sean Pemberton (capt), Ricky Watts, Elliot Thomas, Tom Dyson, Elliot Scotcher (Nicky Palmer 80), Ben Fawcett, Jack Wilson, Steffan Williams (Fraser Finlay 65). Subs not used: Seamus Drake, Tim Hicks, Max Howells.

Taffs Well: Glyn Garner, Luke Sylvester, Ryan Chandrinos, Paul Anney, Josh Barnett, Christian Davies, Jacob Matthews, Sam O’Sullivan, Luke Davidson, Jason Bertorelli, Richard French. Subs not used: Rhys Jones.

Referee: Ben Williams.