Rugby Reports - 11th December 2021


Championship Division:


Clean-sheet Otters pick up the points


Beddau 0 - Narberth 16

Jonathan Rogers - vital points for NarberthThree penalties by outside half Jonathan Rogers, who also converted a late try by dynamic flanker Guto Davies, formed the basis for Narberth’s excellent win at Bedwas and inflicted a fourth successive defeat for the ‘Green & Gold’.
It has always been difficult to win at Mt Pleasant Park and this match was no exception but Sean Gale will have been delighted at the way his side played, with a no-nonsense approach to their defending as Steff Phillips, Tom Powell, Alex Jenkins and skipper Richard Rees led by example up front and there was some solid work at the back by Ashley Sutton, Joe Hutchings and Ianto Griffiths, with No 10 Rogers always looking to keep his pack going forward.
Rogers claimed the only points of a very tight first half as he slotted a penalty and he added two more in the third quarter before they sealed a third success from four starts when Guto Davies grabbed a late try which Rogers converted to make it a good away day for The Otters.
Narberth: Ashley Sutton: Ryan Scourfield; Joe Hutchings; Ianto Griffiths; Jordan Roberts: Jonathan Rogers; Rhys Lane: Ifan James; Rhodri Owens; Tom Slater: Tom Powell; Alex Jenkins: Richard Rees (Capt); Guto Davies; Steffan Phillips. Replacements: Tom Curry; Lewis Davies; Ryan Banner; Jake Jenkins; Dylan Walsh.

Division One (West):


Seagulls fall to interception try


Kidwelly 13 - Fishguard & Goodwick 8

Robbie Jones - superb try for FishguardFishguard & Goodwick will look back on their match at Parc Stephens and know it was a tussle against a useful Kidwelly team that they could have won.
In a very hard-fought contest The Seagulls were winning by 8-6 but playing with confidence as they looked to increase their tally late on and tried to spread play wide – only for home winger Allan Squire to stretch out a hand high above his head and manage to grab the ball at the second attempt near the half way line and speed to the posts for James Owens to convert.
It was a body blow for Nathan Jenkins’ team and they might still have gained the verdict but for a chance going to ground.
The scoreline stood at 3-apiece at the interval as No 10 Creegan Foot landed a penalty for The Seasiders early on which was cancelled out right on the interval when home skipper Joe Owens kicked a penalty in a half which was far more entertaining than the scoreline might suggest.
Owens also landed a monster drop-goal attempt to nudge his team ahead but The Seagulls looked what would be a vital score as winger Luke Marshall fielded the ball deep in his home territory and sliced through the Kidwelly defence to serve a perfectly-timed scoring pass to supporting full back Robbie Jones.
But then came that juggling act by winger Squire which set up that seven-pointer and The Seagulls had to settle for a losing bonus point – and it would have been interesting to know what Nathan and Steve Jenkins said in the changing room afterwards!
Fishguard & Goodwick: Robbie Jones: Joe Dunn; James Reynolds; Sion Rowlands; Luke Marshall: Creegan Foot; Andrew Williams: Iwan McVeigh; Gavin Walsh; Will Delaney: Gwilym Evans; Ben John: Lewis Davies; Griff Williams; Chris Shousha. Replacements: Max Jones; Cai Llewellyn; Osian Rowe; Ieuan Rees; Simon James.

Scarlets’ call off match in Mid Wales


Aberystwyth v Pembroke – Match Postponed


Division Two (West):


Mariners suffer disappointing home defeat


Milford Haven 7 - Tycroes 13

Dan Jenkins - try for Milford centreTycroes earned a narrow win at The Observatory against Milford Haven that gave them their first league victory of their campaign whilst The Mariners failed to build on an excellent early start when they shot into a seven-point lead.
Milford played into the elements but half backs Dan McClelland and Steve Martin set their backs in motion early on and centre Dan Jenkins sped over for a try which winger James Trueman converted.
Tycroes then showed they could attack with a try by second row Dylan Cooper after a sustained period of pressure, with the conversion and a penalty by scrum half Alun Rhys
But the Mariners’ coaching staff must have been satisfied to be only three points adrift and with second use of the breeze but, try as they might, they were unable to break down a stubborn Tycroes defence – and in a frustrating period for them they couldn’t muster a single point whilst Alun Rhys Jones kicked a solitary penalty for the visitors as they celebrated success and Milford Haven had to settle for a losing bonus point.
Milford Haven: James Williams: Lee Riley; Jamie Lewis; Dan Jenkins; James Trueman: Steve Martin; Dan Jenkins: Aaron Mayne; Luke Ryan; Ben Jenkins: Dewi Williams; Scott Buirds: Ryan Mansell; Ben Groves; Kyle Hamer. Replacements: Jimmy Buirds; Zac France-Miller; Bandon Cooper; Sean Dolling; Ieuan Davies.

Seasiders fall just short of victory


Tenby United 17 - Mumbles 19

Taran Richards - outstanding play by Tenby teenagerTenby United fell just short of a first league win of the season against a strong Mumbles outfit at Heywood Lane as they continued their habit of claiming a deserved bonus point but still just missing out on a success that would be bound to give more confidence to Jonathan Evans’ relatively young squad.
The Seasiders deserve credit for the way that they fought back from conceding a score after only 50 seconds, trailing 12-0 at the break and still 17-3 adrift at the three-quarter mark – and grabbing two converted tries before agonisingly missing out from the last move of the match when they ran the ball from their own 22 and after moving through several pairs of hands found its way to Jordan Asparassa.
He cleverly chipped ahead and all he needed was a friendly bounce but it somehow squirted sideways and into the hands of a desperate defender, who hoofed the ball into touch to end the match.
Centre Joe Rimmell scored the early try for Tycroes and later added a second alongside a well-worked try for No 10 Richard Thomas, who also added two conversions – and all that The Seasiders could muster in response until late on was a penalty by Gwion Jones, who showed what a quality player he can be with this all-round performance.
Yannic Parker played well in the centre and teenage second row Taran Richards showed what an asset he is going to be with a terrific performance that belied his 19 years and put older supporters in mind of his dad Justin at his very best!
Tenby claimed their opening try from a pre-planned move where the Broadhurst boys Jack and Cam combined at the back of a set-piece and supplied Matthew Morgan, by then playing on the wing, with the scoring pass.
Gwion Jones added the extras, as he did soon afterwards when The Seasiders spread play wide and quick hands from Jack Brown and Jack Broadhurst found Toby Smith lurking with intent on the far touchline and broke through a couple of tackles before Gwion Jones did well to convert again.
That left about five minutes left but Tenby were unable to get into a position to land three points – and perhaps had them reflecting on the missing of a simple penalty in the first period that might have just made a difference!
Tenby United: Joe Owen: Gwion Jones; Yannic Parker; Dan Colley; Harvey Johns: Toby Smith; Matthew Morgan: Frankie Boyd; Ryan Jeremias; Rob Luly: Luke Dedman (Capt); Taran Richards: Jack Brown; Will Swales; Jack Broadhurst. Replacements: Ben Gibby; Sam Smith; Cam Broadhurst; Jordan Asparassa; Gethin Bradney.

Division Three (West) A:


Blues’ first-half performance sees them win top clash


Lampeter 15 - Haverfordwest 21

Jack Evans - scored Haverfordwests third tryWith both teams boasting 100% records something was bound to give at North Road and it was Haverfordwest who made it three wins from three starts as Lampeter Town lost after three good wins on the trot.
It was The Blues excellent first-half display that earned the verdict as they grabbed three converted tries whilst completing a clean sheet – and they kept their heads when Lampeter showed their durability with that concerted come back after the oranges.
Haverfordwest’s pack was in dominant form before the interval as skipper Matty Phillips led by example and found willing support from Lewis Tingay, Will Blackburn, Jack Clancy and the rest – and they deservedly opened their account with a good try from centre Scott Candler which No 10 Jake Morgan converted.
Then Powerful second row Karl Busch added a second as Jamie Zambas, Dan Berry and Tom Carrington were involved in the build-up and Morgan, who joined Lee Summons as influential half backs, added the extra points.
Pacy winger Jack Evans added the icing on the Blues’ cake with a try after Archie Thomas, Johnny White and Josh Thomas had helped set up the platform alongside the back row – and Morgan slotted his third conversion.
Lampeter showed why they had won all their previous matches as they fought back after the break and reduced the deficit with a try and conversion from outside half Osian Jones, who also kicked a conversion and a penalty after prop Aled Bowen had crossed the whitewash to haul them back to within a score.
But The Blues held their nerve, and their unbeaten tag, as they showed good discipline until the final whistle saw them make the trek home with a welcome win as reward for their combined efforts.
Haverfordwest: Archie Thomas: Johnny White; Jack Evans; Josh Thomas; Scott Candler: Jake Morgan; Lee Summons: Dan Berry; Jamie Zambas; Tom Carrington: Karl Busch; Jack Clancy: Will Blackburn; Matty Phillips (Capt); Lewis Tingay. Replacements: Ben Llewelyn; Gareth John; Steve Thomas; Owen Hamer; Liam Eaton.

Fantastic first win for battling Wasps


Llangwm 12 - Tregaron 7

Luke Hayman - match-winning points for LlangwmBruce Evans - played No 10 for Llangwm - at 56Llangwm celebrated their first win of the campaign as they beat fellow strugglers Tregaron at Pill Parks, with a real mixture of youth and experience seeing them through after they had led 12-7 at the interval and there was no further addition to the score of either team in a second half where both had their chances but were unable to capitalise on periods of pressure.
Included in The Wasps’ side were coach Bruce Evans (56), full back John Whitticombe (42) and flanker Lewis Woods (39) alongside talented youngsters like Jacob Lay (happily restored to fitness after a long lay-off), Callum Jenkins and Dan Rawlings.
And it was the ‘old-timers’ who helped set up the first score as Woods featured alongside Ian Griffiths and Jason Mock before scrum half Luke Hayman cleverly ran a tapped penalty and when play was spread wide it was coach Evans who supplied the scoring pass for Whitticombe to score a try which Hayman converted.
There was no shortage of effort from The Wasps’ pack as Ieuan Power featured throughout with his tackling and strong ball-carrying alongside Phil Llewellyn, Callum Jenkins Dan Morgan and Dave Reynolds – and they deservedly added a second when they drove to the line and from the ensuing ruck it was the influential Hayman who dived through for an unconverted try.
But Llangwm lost seven points right on the interval when Tregaron outside half Gethin Jones put in a clever cross kick and with the hardy band of supporters in the stand screaming for offside visiting winger Chris Wilkes sped over for a try which Jones converted.
The second half was a tense one as both teams sought their first league win of the campaign but neither was able to pouch points that might have decided the issue.
And so it was Llangwm who heard the final whistle with a mixture of joy and relief, leaving Tregaron to make the long journey home and with their second bonus point in their four games.
Llangwm: John Whitticombe: Luke Dyer; Jacob Lay, Dan Woodhouse; Jack Roberts; Bruce Evans; Luke Hayman: Ieuan Power; Phil Llewellyn; Callum Jenkins: Daniel Morgan; Dave Reynolds:  Ian Griffiths; Lewis Woods; Jason Mock. Replacements: David Lewis; Dan Rawlings; Kieran Walkden; Gethin Thomas; Ewan Cunningham.

All Blacks fight-back not quite enough


Neyland 20 - St Clears 27

Jac Howells - try double for St Clears No 9George Evans - two tries for Neyland scrum halfNeyland went down to defeat at The Athletic Ground but not before they had pushed top-four side St Clears all the way  - and with the reward of two bonus for their considerable efforts, one for scoring four unconverted tries in this entertaining tussle and the other for being within seven points of the opposition.
Coaches Graham Richards and Steve Evans will not have been pleased to see The All Blacks 24-10 adrift at half time but whatever they said at the break it worked because their young charges fought back well in the second half and had chances to get even closer but didn’t quite get the rub of the green.
Yet Neyland made a great start from an early lineout drive from near the Saints’ 22 which saw No 8 Ben Williams plough over the line and towards the end of the session scrum half George Evans bustled over from ten metres out.
But sandwiched in between were good tries for St Clears by prop Gethin Jones, scrum half Jac Howells (2) and flanker Tom Williams, two of them converted by Dafydd Waters.
Neyland showed real resilience in the second half and after contributions by Chris Morgan, George Williams, Alex Codd, Charlie Dearden and Patrick Bellerby they reduced the deficit when George Evans grabbed his second try, starting near the 22 and taking two Saints’ players over the line with him.
Josh Hicks, playing his first game after signing for The All Blacks grabbed a spectacular try; the powerful second row receiving the ball near half-way and storming through the opposition’s defence to score in the corner.
It finished off the scoring in a highly entertaining and competitive match and although St Clears won their third match from four starts Neyland sit comfortably in mid-table and with signs that things can only get better if they can maintain their current progress under Messrs Richards and Evans.
Neyland: Chris Morgan: Rhys Bradney; Alex Codd; Charlie Dearden; Patrick Bellerby: George Williams; George Evans: Ban James; Jack Harries; Luke Griffiths-Dawes: Josh Hicks; Lewis Hallett: Iestyn Evans; Owain Evans; Ben Williams. Replacements: Craig Power; Mark James; Simon Phillips; Delme Bateman; Harrison Grice.

Cardis win a cracking contest


Cardigan 24 - Laugharne 20

Tom Taylor - another vital try for Cardigan captainCardigan sit proudly atop the section table with four wins out of four and three bonus points into the bargain after fending off a strong challenge from a Laugharne side which is also in the top five but not quite firing on all cylinders yet.
The teams shared 20 points at half way as Cardigan No 8 and skipper Tom Taylor opened their account with a try that was converted alongside a penalty by Llyr Jones, who also missed an easier attempt right on the interval – but Laugharne responded well when No 8 Carl Smith crossed for the visitors, with the conversion and a penalty by Steff Davies.
The second half was equally competitive and Laugharne added further tries by winger Steff Davies and centre Tom Davies, both unconverted, but it was The Teifisiders who took the honours as centre Emyr Harris and outside half Luke Rogers scored good tries and both were vitally converted by Llyr Jones to take the game Cardigan’s way by the final whistle.

Saints game called off early


St Davids v Llanybydder – Match postponed
**Llanybydder unable to field a team**