Local rugby reports 13th April 2019

Pembroke celebrate second promotion in a row


Pembroke celebrate second promotion in a row


Feature Match:


Division Two West:


Second successive promotion for Super Scarlets


Pontyberem 25 - Pembroke 36

Pembroke coach Geraint Lewis was a delighted man on Saturday evening as his squad produced a super-charged performance to gain a second successive promotion with this five-try success against a Pontyberem outfit which knew that if they could win they were still very much in with their own chance of moving up a division.

They had showed their capabilities earlier in the campaign as they beat The Scarlets 21-17 at Crickmarren but on this occasion they were up against it almost from the outset, despite taking an early lead with a Mike Sauro penalty.

But The Scarlets simply raised the tempo from No 1 to 15 and were in control throughout, despite a determined fight back from Pontyberem midway through the second half that was led by player/coach Wayne Williams.

It certainly helps when attacking players like Tom Harding-Jones, Luke Hartland, Dan Colley and Jack Parkinson are lurking with intent alongside Lewys Gibby, who was given the man of the match award.

Scarlets serve notice of intent

After that minor setback at the start the visitors served notice of intent with a length of the field score that was finished off by dynamic flanker Jack Smyth, who soon added a second after good interplay between forwards and backs saw scrum half Tom Lewis provide home with the scoring pass, both converted by No 10 Toby Lewis.

Then Lewys Gibby, playing out of position on the wing scored a cracking third try wide out – with Smith landing the difficult conversion as well as a 50-metre penalty after Williams had scored an unconverted try for Pontyberem to see The Scarlets ahead by 24-8 at half time as the likes of Smythe, Alex Thomas, Sam Smith, skipper Scott Powell and Will Edwards foraged well from a firm footing supplied by Lloyd Davies, Seamus Wiseman and Johnny Palmer.

Pontyberem come-back attempt averted by Pembroke

After the oranges Pembroke conceded a try to Matthew Lloyd which Sauro converted but a second Gibby try from a Jack Parkinson run kept Pembroke ahead – but facing a mini-crisis as further unconverted tries from James Rosser and Gwion Jones hauled Pontyberem back to within four points.

But they showed the composure that is part of their make-up and finally settled matters when Dan Colley cut through to the posts and Smith inevitably converted.

The Scarlets still have a chance of a second championship on the trot as they play St Clears next week whilst leaders Penclawdd take on Pontyberem – but one suspects that Geraint Lewis and Co must be overwhelmed even if that doesn’t happen!

Pembroke: Tom Harding-Jones: Luke Hartland; Dan Colley; Jack Parkinson; Lewys Gibby: Toby Smith; Tom Lewis: Lloyd Davies; Seamus Wiseman; Johnny Palmer: Scott Powell (Capt); Will Edwards: Jack Smyth; Alex Thomas; Sam Smyth. Replacements (all used):  Dom Colman; Simon Stanford; James Davies; Jordan Gwilliam; Sean Dalling.

Scarlets coaches understandably cant contain their emotions

Scarlets coaches celebrate the crucial win at Pontyberem 


Division One (West):


Preseli Men power to deserved double


Crymych 34 - Gowerton 17

Tomos Phillips - another try for CrymychCrymych returned to form by scoring five tries to beat Gowerton - and leaped above the Swansea side in the table in the process.

On a nice day for running rugby, centre Gethin Gibby and winger Laurence Headlam scored first half tries, with No 10 Ifan Phillips converting both and landing a penalty.

Gowerton stayed in it at 17-10, though, as Lloyd-Dudley Jones grabbed a try and centre Josh Hamer added the extras and a penalty of his own.

The Preseli Men cut loose in the second half though with further tries from Ryan Bean, Tomos Phillips and Ifan Phillips, who also converted one of them – while Gowerton’s only response was a five pointer from Mal Fleming.

Crymych finish their league season next Saturday at home to Kidwelly.

Tomos Phillips - another try for Crymych


Gino Setaro spots a gap for the Borderers second try

Gino Setaro spots a gap for the Borderers' second try
Picture by Paul Rodgers


Borderers bag hard fought- victory


Whitland 15 - Llanelli Wanderers 0

After their points-fest the week before it was a much harder, physical test for Whitland against Llanelli Wanderers but they came through it to end their season with a fifth straight league win, and they remain in second place although they may be overtaken by sides below them who have games in hand.

Home No 10 Nico Setaro landed an early three pointer and then a penalty try ensured the Borderers led 10-0 at the break after the Wanderers illegally halted a driving lineout.

The second half was equally tight and the only score came from Whitland centre Gino Setaro, who rounded off some good handling to score in the corner.

The Borderers did have to stave off some heavy pressure though, with hooker and man of the match Marc Jones outstanding as three times the visitors were held up over the line.

“It was niggly and physical but we dug deep,” said backs coach Dan Mason, and it was a good win to finish and now we look forward to the Pembrokeshire KO Cup final.”

For Mason, it was the final league match as coach after two good seasons with the first team, and Pembrokeshire Sport wishes him well as he steps away to focus on work commitments.

Whitland: James Stephenson, Scott Lloyd, Gino Setaro, Josh Thomas, Jonathan Thomas, Nico Setaro, Josh Thomas, Aaron Mayne, Marc Jones, Simon Meakins, Raff Williams, Ben Kirk, Ryan Morgan, Danny Evans, Jack Mason. Replacements: Gethin Lewis, Jimmy Buirds, Tomos Evans, James Thomas, Adam Davies.

Whitland prop Aaron Mayne on the charge

Whitland prop Aaron Mayne on the charge


Seasiders so close to first success


Tenby United 20 - Llangennech 24

Moritz Neumann - try brace for TenbyAt 20-7 up a first league win of the season beckoned for Tenby United but, again, the inexperience of the Seasiders told as Llangennech fought back.

That first half lead came courtesy of two tries from Moritz Neumann, who impressed throughout with his ball carrying, while winger Jordan Asparassa also crossed as No 10 Lloyd Thomas landed a conversion and a penalty.

But Llangennech came back to be just 20-17 down at half time, as clinical winger Tom Barnes crossed twice and Tom Neil also touched down as Carwyn Richards added a conversion.

The second half was tight and the only score was a decisive one, Steff Davies getting the winning try for the visitors and Richards converting.

There were positives again for the home side though as hooker Jim Brace impressed on permit from Pembroke, and youth scrum half Ben Pugh was judged the home man of the match.

“Given the season we’ve had the atmosphere and attitude is still great which bodes well for the future,” said Tenby assistant coach Jonathan Evans.

Tenby United: Jack Tucker, Jerome Mansbridge, Billy Truman, Moritz Neumann, Jordan Asparassa, Lloyd Thomas, Ben Pugh, Ethan Morgan, Jim Brace, Rob Luly, Tom Barrass, Luke Dedman, Rob Tuttle, Charlie Patching, Jack Broadhurst. Replacements: Ryan Jones, Mark Hamilton, Connor Ennis, Matthew Davies, Will Crockford.

Moritz Neumann - try brace for Tenby

  Seagulls man of match Simon James on the drive

Seagulls' man of match Simon James on the drive


Division Two (West):  


Seagulls storm to big win


Fishguard & Goodwick 40 - Loughor 7

Fishguard & Goodwick rounded off their season in real style as they comprehensively beat a strong Loughor team at The Moor to move nicely into the top half of the table at the expense of the opposition.

It also gave them ample revenge for a 32-21 defeat against Loughor on the opening day of the season as they were sharper in every aspect of the game and ran in six quality tries to just one by the opposition as WRU chief executive Martyn Phillips enjoyed watching his home-town club play so well.

The basis for success was undoubtedly the work rate of the Seagulls’ forwards as the back row of Simon James, Lewis Davies and skipper Chris Shousha benefitted from the tight-five efforts of Andrew Morrillo, Gavin Walsh and Ryan McVeigh alongside Ben John and Luke Freebury. Behind them Andrew Williams and Jake Jenkins utilised the space to keep them going forward after Simon James looked to have scored from an early scrum five, only to be recalled by referee Jackey Boswell.

No denying The Seagulls

But there was no denying Fishguard from the next set-piece as a powerful surge allowed scrum half Andrew Williams to claim the touchdown before Jenkins landed the conversion.

Loughor tried hard to utilise the power of skipper Jonathan Phillips, Matthew Stokes and Emil Purzycki but there was no denying The Seagulls as two further tries came from Simon James, the second goaled by Jenkins.

The Fishguard replacements also featured well after the break and Scott Richies crossed after a good break by centre Sion Rowlands, again converted by Jenkins, before winger Thomas George crossed and Jenkins was again on target.

The Seagulls were then awarded a penalty try and Loughor only managed a late consolation score when skipper Phillips crossed the whitewash and Liam Hedges converted – but it was way too little too late and brothers Nathan and Steve Jenkins as home coaches must take considerably satisfaction at the way their squad have come good after a shaky start and some narrow defeats.

Fishguard: Robbie Jones, Thomas George, Sion Rowlands, Kial Keane, Ed Bendall, Jake Jenkins, Andrew Williams, Andrew Morrillo, Gavin Walsh, Ryan McVeigh, Ben John, Luke Freebury, Lewis Davies, Chris Shousha (capt) Simon James. Replacements: Liam Wilkes, Alun George, Gwilym Evans, Scott Richies, Jordan James.?

No 9 Andrew Williams stretches over for the opening try for the Seagulls

No 9 Andrew Williams stretches over for the opening try for the Seagulls


Division 3 (West) A:


Aberaeron win titanic tussle


Aberaeron 19 - Milford Haven 11

The title race in Division Three West A will go down to the wire after Aberaeron overcame Milford in another titanic clash between the two.

But things are now in the hands of Mid Wales sides, although they still trail Milford by nine points with two games in hand.  Justin Lloyd’s team will still need four bonus point wins from four games to guarantee first place though, and have difficult trips to Laugharne and Neyland to come.

It was centre Dyfrig Dafis who again showed his class as he cut over for a first half try but the Mariners dug deep to lead 6-5 half time, with scrum half Dan McClelland kicking two penalties.

The home side turned the screw early in the second half though and two periods of pressure resulted in penalties which outside half Rhodri Jenkins landed to make it 11-6 – only for Milford to level matters as flanker Ryan Mansell continued his try-scoring form with a five pointer.

However, Dafis then went over as Aberaeron regained a five-point lead and with time running out, Jenkins was taken out by a high tackle - but replacement Dylan Morgan was unperturbed as he stepped up to land the long range penalty.

Crucially, that kick cost Milford a losing bonus point and no team has any margin for error in their final fixtures.

Milford Haven: Steve Martin, Craig Thomas, Dan Jenkins, Dan Birch, Jamie Lewis, Efan Morgan, Dan McClelland, Mike Cockburn, Luke Ryan, Nathan Williams, David Round, Dewi Williams, Ben Groves, Ryan Mansell, Mark Wonnacott. Replacements:  Adam Rees, Chris Hall, Sam Dolling, James Trueman, Dean McSparron.


Laugharnees beat disappointed Blues


Laugharne 25 - Haverfordwest 17

Tom Waters - try for LaugharneThis match between the fourth and third-placed sides in the divisional table was expected to be hard-fought and that is just the way it turned out before Laugharne completed the double over Haverfordwest, having already won 13-10 when the teams previously clashed at Pembroke Road.

It was centre Steff Davies who gave Laugharne the lead as he sliced through for a try which he also converted – but Haverfordwest responded well when second row Gethin Thomas powered his way to the posts for Craig Barnett to add the simple extra points.

And the teams stayed locked until close to half time when second row David Thomas scored an unconverted try for The Laugharnees as reward for his excellent play in the loose as well as in the tight.

Also prominent for the homesters were the front row of Rhys Thomas, Tom Waters and Gary Jones and after Davies had notched a well-struck penalty there were unconverted tries by Owen Thomas and Ross Michael.

But Haverfordwest deserve credit for the way that they kept plugging away as Craig Barnett landed a penalty and then converted a try from Matty Phillips but they were always chasing the game and could have few complaints about this defeat, which allowed the home side to leap frog them into third place in the section table.

Haverfordwest: Rhys Baker, Josh Atherton, Craig Barnett, Gareth Owens, Jamie Barnett, Mike Jones, Liam Eaton, Jamie Zambas, Matthew Clayton, Terry Lovell, Gareth Thomas, Karl Busch, Gareth John, Matty Phillips, Ashley George. Replacements: Tom Carrington, Josh Hamer, Rhydian Harries.

Tom Waters - try for Laugharne


Wasps win – by a single point!


Tregaron 27 - Llangwm 28

Lewis Murphy - try for LlangwmThere were great celebrations at Pill Parks when Llangwm eventually returned from the long trek to Tregaron and came away with an exciting win by 28 points to 27 as reward for a terrific all-round team performance.

The teams shared 14 points when they recently met in Llangwm and this return fixture was played out in similar fashion as Tregaron led 17-15 at the break and The Wasps kept plugging away until the final whistle saw them home in a tense finale.

The homesters had a penalty try alongside others from Chris Williams and Huw Bonner, who also landed two conversions and a penalty.

But Llangwm had Luke Hayman in solid kicking form as he landed three penalties and both conversions of tries centre Lewis Murphy, second row Gethin Bateman and flanker Matthew Lewis so that the Wasps moved into eighth place with this their fifth victory of the season.

Lewis Murphy - try for Llangwm


Cardis fail to find any fire


Llanybydder 13 - Cardigan 0

Cardigan travelled to Llanybydder with hopes of beating the home side and moving up the table but they found it hard going in the set pieces and rarely looked likely to win after trailing by 13-0 at the interval; with neither team able to add any further points to the low scoreline thereafter.

Ace kicker Steff Richards opened the scoring for Llanybydder with a penalty and he also added the conversion of the game’s only try when No 8 and skipper Ricky Davies made his presence felt to cross the whitewash.

Richards added a second penalty just before half time but from then on it was stalemate as Llanybydder were deserved winner for the 12th time in 19 starts and fifth place in the table, two places above their opponents.

Cardigan: John Lumb, Rhydian Jenkins, Marcus Castle, Iwan John, Llyr Jones, Emyr Harries, Gwern Phillips, Will Brice, Andrew Fletcher, Ben Hughes, Dean Harries, Sion Phillips, Gruffydd Lewis, Geraint Williams, Tom Taylor. Replacements: Toby Neilson-Dry, Ifan Morgan, William Delve.