Vikings easily overcome Robins to secure Joe Lennon Cup victory

2017 Joe Lennon Memorial Final winners Hakin United

2017 Joe Lennon Memorial Final winners Hakin United
Match officials
Milford United


Hakin United 4 – Milford United 1

Hakin United won their sixth successive Joe Lennon Memorial final with a comfortable victory against Milford United at The Obs.

Goals for the Vikings by Ben Fawcett, Daniel Armstrong, Adam John and Ben Steele secured victory with The Robins scoring a late consolation effort from the hard-working Will Goodall.

Kristan Bennett’s Vikings started brightly with Adam John putting a close range header over Josh Partif’s crossbar.

Vikings’ striker Nicky Woodrow bundled the ball home from inside the six-yard box in the 13th minute, but his effort was ruled out for offside.

Robins’ centre back Ste Clarke had his work cut out trying and stop co-strikers Woodrow and Justin Harding, who both looked lively.

Sixteen-year-old Ben Fawcett struck a low shot which was cleared off the goal line and also Harding’s wicked long –range shot grazed the top of the crossbar.

The Robins’ first sight of goal was a long range effort by Jason Hicks that didn’t trouble Adrian Devonald.

Vikings strike twice before break

Match officialsJust before the break and The Vikings scored two goals in as many minutes, the opener was a brilliant solo effort scored by teenager Fawcett; the right sided midfielder glided past Robins’ defender Tom Llewellin and blasted his shot from a tight angle into the corner.

The Vikings doubled the lead when centre back Daniel Armstrong struck from inside the box from a corner, when the Robins defenders failed to clear their lines at a corner.

Shortly after the half time the hosts added a third goal, when the industrious left-sided midfielder Adam John squeezed his low shot in at the near post.

The Robins should have pulled a goal back when Taku Padiwa broke clear, but goalkeeper James Manson, who replaced Adrian Devonald at the break, came quickly off his line and stood firm to deny the visitors.

Steele sweeps home fourth

On the 65 minute mark, Ben Steele added a fourth, Harding struck a vicious effort that keeper Partif parried, but Steele reacted quickest to sweep home the rebound, despite Parfif getting a hand on it.

Ben Aldred was unlucky not to add a fifth when he struck a wicked edge of the area rising shot that keeper Partif brilliantly tipped over the bar at full stretch.

Five minutes from the final whistle and the visitors pulled one back, an excellent cross into the Vikings box was met by a bullet header by Goodall that flew into the net.

On the stroke of full time the Vikings were awarded a penalty following some barging inside the area spotted by excellent referee Bernie Armstrong. Steele tamely struck his poor penalty straight into the arms of Partif.

Hakin United secretary and organiser Jonny Lewis said shortly afterwards: “I’d like to thank Milford United, Milford Athletic and Herbandston teams for taking part in this year’s tournament.

“Huge thanks to referee Bernie Armstrong and assistants Ben Williams and Paul Rooney for officiating tonight’s final, and I would also like to show my gratitude to Paddy Wheeler for preparing the pitch.”

At the post match presentation Hakin United’s Malcolm Jones presented the man of the match trophy to teenage sensation Ben Fawcett, and then he handed the Joe Lennon Memorial Cup to winning Vikings’ skipper Nicky Woodrow.

Hakin United: Adrian Devonald, Ben Steele, Bradley Barrett, Ben Aldred, Daniel Armstrong, Craig Nicholson, Ryan Wilson, Adam John, Ben Fawcett, James Stanmore, Nicky Woodrow, Justin Harding. Subs: James Manson, Ryan Mansell, Jake Merry, Ewan Findlay.

Milford United: Josh Partif, Sam Davies, Tom Llewellin, Ste Clarke, Scott Griffiths, Will Goodall, Ashley Mathias, Josh Smart, Taku Padiwa, Jason Hicks, Chris Thompson. Subs: Tommy Davies, Morgan Picton, Dan Cole, Gerrard Gray

Referee: Bernie Armstrong.
Assistants: Ben Williams & Paul Rooney.

Milford United