Rugby Reports 28th October 2017

Championship Division:


Otters claim bonus-point win over basement battlers

Narberth 27 - Glynneath 3

Narberth flanker Pat Roberts claimed The Otters bonus-point tryNarberth gained their expected win over bottom club Glynneath and picked up a bonus point for scoring four tries but with the visitors playing a spoiling game to have a damage-limitation scoreline it wasn’t a vintage performance from The Otters.

The homesters opened the scoring with a close-range try from No 8 Richard Rees as reward for his covering and support work alongside effective flankers Tom Powell and Pat Roberts, who also got his name on the scoresheet in the second half.

Second rower Ryan Banner featured in that opening score before some quick hands then released pacy winger Liam Humphreys for a try which was converted by No 10 Ianto Griffiths alongside a penalty, whilst all that Glynneath could muster in response was a well-struck penalty from Jack O’Reilly.

It was a similar story after the interval, when The Otters had the greater share of possession as the front row of Tom Slater, Rhodri Owens (giving Marc Smith a deserved rest) and Bradley Davies worked hard – and after winger Ryan Davies had secured their third try it was the ubiquitous Roberts who ensured a bonus point with a try which Griffiths goaled as The Otters remained firmly in second spot behind clear leaders Pontypool.

Narberth flanker Pat Roberts claimed The Otters' bonus-point try


Division One (West): 
*Crymych P  Blackwood P due to play Blackwood at home in the WRU Plate Second Round – but the Gwent side unable to field a team so Crymych are awarded the match and go into Round Three.*
*Tenby United v Dunvant – no match because Dunvant are still in the Welsh Plate Competition.*


Division Two (West):
Seagulls without a match at The Moors
Fishguard P v Mumbles P
*Mumbles were still in the WRU Plate Competition so The Seagulls had to take an enforced rest.


Division Three (West) A:


Mariners edge through by a single point

Cardigan 26 - Milford Haven 27

Dan Jenkins - two tries for Milford HavenIf ever there was a game which qualified for the ‘game of two halves’ cliché then it was this clash at the King George Fifth Playing Fields as visiting Milford Haven secured a deserved 22-0 lead at the interval but were left hanging on as Cardigan fought back well but fell short of a surprise result after struggling so much early on.

The Mariners took an early lead with a penalty from scrum half Dan McClelland, who worked well with partner Jamie Lewis to help set up a try by powerful centre Dan Jenkins which McClelland converted.

Jenkins added a second try as his pack took control in the ball-winning stakes and it was Lewis who secured a bonus point with a classy try that McClelland goaled – and at the half way stage even the most diehard Teifisiders’ supporter must have discounted a comeback.

But whatever their coaches said at half time it certainly worked because their pack raised the tempo and Cardigan recorded tries by winger Sion Hughes and scrum half Owain Rees.

Milford did manage a close-range try by second row Ben Groves but the Teifisiders  drew to within a point with a second try for Hughes and another by centre Emyr Harries, who also notched three out of four conversions.

But it was just a little too late to secure the verdict as Milford were mightily relieved to remain in the top three, with Cardigan clearly disappointed but at least having the consolation of two bonus points for not giving up the ghost!

Dan Jenkins - two tries for Milford Haven


Epic tussle sees Quins take the local derby verdict

PD Quins 13 - Neyland 11

Thomas Doyle - vital try for The QuinsMatches between these old adversaries are rarely anything but huge clashes and this one at Bierspool was certainly no exception as Pembroke Dock Harlequins established a 13-0 interval lead over Neyland but then were forced to defend desperately as the Pembrokeshire All Blacks came within a whisker of winning.

The Quins were able to welcome back Barry Parsons and Mike Davies for this game since Tenby United were without a game and both featured in the ball-winning stakes, with skipper Thomas Doyle claiming his fifth try of the campaign in his centre role as early as the seventh minute.

Louis Davies added the extra points and also landed penalties in the 18th and 29th minutes – but they were forced to defend for lengthy periods after half time as prop Eugene Grice caught the eye with his work-rate for Neyland alongside young second row Jimmy Buirds, who ploughed through for a good try.

Also involved behind the All Black pack were talented young centres George Williams and Alex Codd, with veterans Delme Bateman and player coach Steve Martin also busy, especially when he switched to full back for Harry Williams to come on as pivot and really caught the eye.

Stand-in stand-off Williams landed two penalties, one from fully 40 metres, to take the score to within two points but was just off-target with a third kick which might have put Neyland ahead.

It meant they had just a bonus point for a lot of effort whilst The Quins second half defensive work, in which Hywel Baker and Arron John were key players as they earned their second win along with a draw from five starts.

Thomas Doyle - vital try for The Quins


Baker boosts Blues points tally

St Davids 0 - Haverfordwest 43

Pacy winger Rhys Baker claimed three of Haverfordwest’s seven tries at St Davids but just like their win over Tregaron the previous week, Haverfordwest were made to work hard in the first 40 minutes before pulling away after the break for a bonus point win.

The Blues had the perfect start when returning No 10 Steve Williams kicked a penalty to the corner, and from the pressure that followed, it was Williams’ pass that sent centre Matty Phillips under the posts for a try that Gareth John converted.

But then The Saints dug in against the wind, with outside half Scott James and full back Rhys Morgan in particular driving them across the gain line, but were unable to capitalise on a string of penalties in Haverfordwest territory.

And then six minutes before the break, home captain Rhys ‘Loshin’ Price was yellow carded for an infringement near his own line and Bruce Evans’ team took full advantage, as prop Terry Lovell barged over from a quickly-taken penalty, before winger Josh Atherton rounded off some slick handling with a corner try – and John converted the first of those efforts to make it 19-0 at the break.

The Blues secured their bonus point early in the second half when full back Rhys Baker went over, before replacement Gethin Thomas was rewarded for good support play with a try of his own.

The Saints, who also had winger Steve Regan yellow-carded, then tired in the closing stages as Baker went on to complete a try hat trick with two more good finishes from close range, with replacement wing Ben Skudder converting both scores as The Blues moved into second place in the table.

Liam Brown wins good lineout ball for Haverfordwest at St Davids

Liam Brown wins good lineout ball for Haverfordwest at St Davids


National Plate Match:


Borderers maintain winning streak and make Plate progress

Whitland 38 - Tumble 7

Dai Ebsworth - still going as strongly as ever for WhitlandWhitland deservedly progressed to the third round of the National Bowl competition as they proved too strong in every department against Tumble, who are in the same division as The Borderers but languish at the foot of the table, whilst the home side are still unbeaten at the other end.

Tumble produced a typically gritty performance to limit Whitland to just 7-0 at half time but the pressure of being on the back foot for long periods gradually took its toll and The Borderers eventually ran in six tries, four of them converted by acting skipper Nico Setaro as Marc Jones took a deserved rest, replaced by Kevin Allen, who scored a try from his hooker’s berth.

Josh Thomas again showed his power and touch in the centre to get on the try sheet as Sean Coles sped away for a hat-trick and powerful flanker Ryan Michael also crossed the whitewash.

Tumble did manage a converted try but The Borderers moved on as Dai Ebsworth, Benji Kirk James Lewis and especially Jack Mason ploughed forward, with replacements Raff Barnett, Aaron Mayne, Dan Evans, Aaron Ebsworth and Gethin Lewis came on as replacements to show the current strength of this Whitland squad.

Dai Ebsworth - still going as strongly as ever for Whitland


National Bowl Matches:


Scarlets win a terrific clash

Cefn Cribwr 30 - Pembroke 42

Sean Dalling - 17 points for PembrokePembroke ran in six tries at Cefn Cribwr to progress to the fourth round of the National Bowl competition against a team currently fourth in Division Three (West Central) B and showing real fighting spirit as they fought back after the Scarlets had opened up a 31-10 interval advantage.

Scarlets’ coach Geraint Lewis was pleased by his players’ performance and felt that a full bus-load of supporters travelling to the Bridgend area added impetus to their cause – and they got off to a great start as powerful flanker Dom Colman scored an unconverted try, followed by a solo score from scrum half after he had made the home side pay for a careless drop out 22 to slice through before Sean Dalling added the extra points.

Then centre Dan Colley inspired a break-out near their own line which ended when winger Elliot Evans rounded off a length of the field move.

Cefn Cribwr relied with a penalty from Joe Gallifant and a try by Owen Davies which Gallifant goaled but sandwiched in between was a try and conversion from Dalling, and another converted try near half time where good handling amongst forwards and backs saw Colley claim the touchdown.

But all The Scarlets could muster after the break were two more Dalling penalties and a second Evans’ try as the home side scored tries by Jac Briggs, Lewis Cox, Gallifant and Lewis Kelly in an entertaining tussle – but it was more than enough to seal an excellent win for Pembroke in this national competition.

Sean Dalling - 17 points for Pembroke