Rugby Reports 26th October 2019

Tenby match winner Harry Rossiter spins the ball wide


PHOTO: Tenby match winner Harry Rossiter spins the ball wide


Division Two (West):


Seasiders snatch late win as Harry leads the way


Tenby United 15 - Fishguard & Goodwick 14 

Harry Rossiter was the toast of his Tenby United team mates as his late penalty eased The Seasiders to victory by a single point against a Fishguard & Goodwick side that made a good start with an early try and were still 14-9 ahead at half time.

But The Seasiders took the initiative after the oranges and not only prevented the visitors from adding further points but had the better of the chances and  spent a lot of time pinning Fishguard back into the left corner.

Rossiter leads the Seasiders’ fight-back

Rossiter not only directed operations in this intense time spell but kept his composure when the kicking chances came, linked well with skipper Lloyd Thomas and after slotting a penalty to take his side to within two points midway through the period, shrugged off the disappointment of hitting the left upright from another wide-angled kick.

He also hit the other post from a snap drop-goal chance safe in the knowledge that the referee had already signalled a penalty and this time fired a successful three-pointer between the woodwork to give his team a welcome win that lifts them further up the section table.

Seagulls make the brighter start

Yet it was Fishguard who made the better start as James Griffiths kicked them into the bottom right corner and from the ensuing lineout drive, propelled forward by Ryan McVeigh, Liam Wilkes, Andrew Morrillo, Ben John and Gwilym Evans, it was No 8 Mark George who claimed the try, which Mark Jones wasn’t able to convert.

As Tenby gained parity up front through the efforts of veteran flankers Harry Bolton and Luke Hansford alongside Jack Broadhurst, No 10 Rossiter was just off target with a penalty but then notched two easier efforts to put his team 6-5 ahead.

Mark Jones landed a Seagulls’ penalty but a good run out of defence by Tenby full back Max Brindley earned him a penalty which Rossiter kicked – but Brindley had to leave the field with a knee injury.

Another Jones’ penalty allowed the visitors to go back in front and although The Seasiders threatened via Jack Gooding, Ben Pugh and Harry Tucker it was The Seagulls had the final word when Jones landed  his third kick on target right on the interval.

Typical local derby contest

In a typical local derby the second half was also played with total commitment but The Seasiders lost influential No 9 Matthew Morgan (ankle), prop Rob Luly (shoulder) and hooker Dan Allen (head injury) but brought on Wyndham Williams for his 203rd game for the club and the dogged resistance of Huw Evans and Tom Barrass helped repel the rare forays into their territory as Simon James and Gavin Walsh came on to pep up the Seagulls performance.

Home No 8 Jack Broadhurst also caught the eye as he smuggled the ball, powered his was downfield and only just lost the race for his own kick ahead – but with time running out The Seasiders looked destined for another narrow defeat.

It was then that Rossiter took a hand and after his missed penalty and drop goal attempts failed to bring any reward – and his kick put Tenby United into the narrowest of leads before they managed to tuck the ball up their jumpers for a deserved win!


Jonathan Evans (Tenby United Coach): We were delighted to win against strong and experienced opposition as the pitch stood up well and we played at real pace. We had several players with injuries but our bench stood up to the pressure – and a pleasing aspect of our play with such a young team bolstered by old hands Harry Bolton, Luke Hansford and Wyndham Williams was our game management”

Nathan Jenkins (Fishguard & Goodwick Coach): To be honest we were rubbish because after scoring a try in the first few minutes we rarely threatened their line and allowed them to claw their way back in the last quarter when we should have tied things up.

Ossie Boswell (Seasiders Assistant Coach):

We have worked hard in training and pre-match warm-ups at developing the right structures and it is beginning to pay off. We kept plugging away and I thought we deserved our win.

Steve Jenkins: Seagulls’ Assistant Coach):

We could have few complaints about the result because we were never allowed to get into our top gear – and paid the inevitable price as we conceded late points.

Steve Buncombe (Match referee):

It was a long trek down from Llandrindod Wells but it was well worth it because the pitch was in terrific condition after all the recent wet weather, both teams played at pace and within the laws of the game, and the crowd was in good hwyl too!

Tenby United: Max Brindley: Jack Gooding; Ben Pugh; Lloyd Thomas (Capt); Jack Tucker: Harry Rossiter; Matthew Morgan: Ethan Morgan; Dan Allen; Rob Luly: Tom Barrass; Huw Evans: Harry Bolton; Luke Hansford; Jack Broadhurst. Replacements: Rob Clarke; Jim Brace; Wyndham Williams; Joe Poole; Joe Owen.

Fishguard & Goodwick: Robbie Jones: Ed Bendall; Geraint Jones; James Griffiths; Rhys Evans: Mark Jones; Dan Evans: Ryan McVeigh; Liam Wilkes; Andrew Morrillo: Ben John; Gwilym Evans: Luke Freebury, Chris Shousha (Capt); Mark George. Replacements: Gavin Walsh; Will Delaney; Simon James; Richie Hunter; Scott Richies.

Referee:  Steve Buncombe (Llandrindod Wells) – who had a good game with his quiet but firm control, clear signals and ability to keep up with play.

PHOTO: Ben John on the burst for Fishguard

PHOTO: Ben John on the burst for Fishguard


Milford centre Dan Jenkins is stopped in midfield. Pic Riley Sports Photography

PHOTO: Milford centre Dan Jenkins is stopped in midfield. Pic Riley Sports Photography


Mariners pay for unforced errors


Nantgaredig 33 - Milford Haven 13

Mariners man of the match Zac DaviesIt was a disjointed display from Milford Haven as they were well beaten in Nantgaredig - but there were at least positives for The Mariners in the form of debuts for 18-year-olds James Williams and Dylan Evans.

The Mariners trailed 10-3 early on after home second row Carywn Davies went over and winger Lloyd Williams added the conversion, and then exchanged penalties with opposite number James Trueman.

But Milford then got right back in it as centre Dan Jenkins broke through in midfield and off loaded to Steve Martin, and the full back did the rest with a strong finish in the corner.

Mariners fail to build on Martin’s try

The Mariners failed to build on that though, and were second best at the set piece whilst also guilty of too many unforced errors in possession.

Sure enough, Nant made them pay as Williams added two more penalties and centre Rhys Schiavone crossed for a try to make it 21-8 half time.

Nant take control

Thomas Marks' team tightened their grip in the second period with Williams adding a try to his points tally, as well as the extras to both that score and a try from flanker Jack Beynon.

Milford did at least finish well with second row Zac Davies their stand out performer, and after youngsters Evans and Williams entered the fray at flanker and winger respectively, it was the latter who showed good footwork to go over in the corner.

Overall it was a deserved bonus point win for Nantgaredig though, while The Mariners must now bounce back in two weeks in a big local derby with Tenby at The Obs.

Milford Haven: Steve Martin, Lee Riley, Dan Jenkins, Dan Birch (capt), James Trueman, George Evans, Danny McClelland, Mike Cockburn, Luke Ryan, Adam Rees, Bradley Cooper, Zac Davies, Zac France-Miller, Ryan Mansell, Sam Dolling. Replacements: Dylan Evans, Ben Kirk, Ben Jenkins, James Williams, Jay Goodall.

PHOTO: Mariners' man of the match Zac Davies