Hakin win to go top - Goodwick reach WWIC semi final

Fraser Final scores for his hat-trick for Carew. Picture by Brian McKehon

There was Manderwood Pembrokeshire Football League First Division and West Wales Intermediate Cup action on a busy Saturday afternoon.

Starting in the top flight, Hakin United thrashed Narberth 9-0 at the Obs to move two points clear at the top of the table. Adam John, Ashley Bevan and Shane Walsh scored a brace each alongside further goals by Camron Thomas, Leon Luby and Gareth Fawcett.

Fishguard Sports narrowly beat Pennar Robins 2-1 at Tregroes. The visitors led for the majority of the match as Jack Phillips struck, but late goals from Danny Morgan and Matt Harries secured the points for The Sports.

Carew comfortably beat arch rivals Saundersfoot Sports 6-2 at home. Fraser Finlay scored a terrific hat-trick plus Jack Christopher, Shaun Whitfield and Scott Ferney all scored for The Rooks. Adam Davidson and Rhys Bates found the back of the net for the visitors.

Merlins Bridge overcame close neighbours Clarbeston Road 3-1 at the Racecourse. Adam Hawkins struck a brace whilst Nathan Greene also scored for The Wizards. Richard Bevan struck a late consolation for Clarby.

St Clears v Monkton Swifts was postponed.

It was mixed emotions for two of our teams from Pembrokeshire involved in the West Wales Intermediate Cup quarter finals.

Firstly, Goodwick United won 2-0 against Giants Grave at Phoenix to reach the last four of the competition. Chris O’Sullivan and Kieran O’Briens scored a goal in each half to secure an excellent 48 hours for The Phoenix Lads who earlier beat Merlins Bridge 3-2 to reach the Senior Cup final.

Spare a thought for poor old Neyland who gallantly lost 2-4 in extra time at home against Trostre Sports. Jason Griffiths gave The Nomads the lead before Scott Jones was issued a straight red card. The Nomads had to play the rest of the tie with ten men. The visitors scored twice in the second period, but Wayne Parry equalised to force the tie into extra time. Unfortunately for The Nomads they conceded a goal in the first and second half of extra time to bow out. However, everyone involved with the club can feel rightly proud of their fantastic cup run.