Wilson's late strike earns Bluebirds a point against Lakesiders

Mark Jones set up Wilson for the equaliser. Picture by Matthew Kelly of Rawphotography

JD Cymru Premier:


Haverfordwest County 1 – Bala Town 1

Jack Wilson grabbed a 90th minute equaliser to earn Haverfordwest County  a draw when all seemed lost against Bala Town at the Bridge Meadow Stadium.

Wayne Jones’ men edged the first period, with Danny Williams missing a great chance midway through the first period.

The second period saw the Lakesiders pile on the pressure and they were rewarded when the lively Will Evans struck from the edge of the six-yard box, as he got on the end of a well measured Steve Leslie cross.

However, the Bluebirds salvaged a draw when Jack Wilson struck from inside the box after he was teed up by Mark Jones.

The visitors nearly opened the scoring early as Steve Leslie’s shot cum cross from the right clipped the top of Matthew Turner’s crossbar.

Close shave

The hosts were desperately unlucky not to score in the eleventh minute, Kieran Lewis’s deft through ball fell to Danny Williams inside the box, the striker turning quickly but firing his shot wide when really he should have been hitting the target.

The Lakesiders’ Antony Kay picked up the first yellow card for a clumsy tackle on Lewis who turned too quickly and was upended cynically.

Danger man Wilson caused problems whenever he was in possession, and he ran down the right and flashed a low teasing cross which Williams just failed to get on the end of it.

Young keeper Matthew Turner pulled off a superb save to deny Leslie, whose direct edge of the box free kick could have given the Lakesiders the lead.

Leslie was issued a yellow for a late challenge on Elliot Scotcher, with referee David Morgan playing good advantage as Wilson’s cross was met by Williams, who struck the side netting.

In an entertaining opening 45 minutes it remained goalless, despite the chances at both ends.

Five minutes into the second period, skipper Chris Venables headed Leslie’s well directed corner in the box over the crossbar.   

Minutes later Leslie fired a shot from distance well over the bar, and the Lakesiders were looking more dangerous this half.

Danny Williams presses forward. Picture by Matthew Kelly of Rawphotography

Brave block from Turner

Will Evans drew a routine save from Turner and minutes later Turner pulled off a brave block to deny Venables, who clattered the Bluebirds' keeper going for a 50/50 ball; the keeper picking up a heavy knock to his knee.

The visitors continued to press with Lassana Mendes firing a low drive which Turner dived and touched this effort for a corner. Substitute’s Henry Jones’ resuultant corner so nearly produced the opening goal as a header fell to Nathan Peate who was denied by Turner, as he pulled off another brave save.

Scotcher hit the post

In the 77th minute Scotcher struck a sublime curling free kick which beat keeper John Ruston but unfortunately for the hosts struck the far post and was cleared.

A quick counter saw Venables feed Evans, the latter’s shot took a slight deflection for a corner.

Ten minutes before full time the Lakesiders finally broke the deadlock, as a superb cross by Leslie saw Evans nip in at the near post to score.

With minutes to go Mark Jones flashed a low shot across the face of the Lakesiders’ goal.

Jack grabs the vital equaliser

In the 90th minute the hosts equalised after an excellent counter attack saw Jones set-up Wison,  and the in- form teenager took a touch then drilled his shot past Rushton to salvage a point.

Deep in injury time Pemberton headed well over bar, as the skipper didn’t make the most of a long Wilson throw into the box. Jones got on the end of a deep Scotcher cross which Rushton blocked with his feet and the final wehistle saw both teams having to settle for a point.

Wayne Jones (Haverfordwest manager):
"I thought last week's end was nerve-wracking but this was even worse because it looked as if we might have again had nothing to show for so much effort. I felt we had played well in the first half but didn't take our chances and although we suffered in the third quarter to lose would have been a bit of a disaster. But my lads are fearless and we might even have snatched a late winner! I'm going to need our two-week break to recover from these last two matches!"

Sean Pemberton (Bluebirds' captain):
"It was another toufgh battle but we showed our ability in taking four points out of six against the third-placed team in the table. We had the edge in the first half but when they pushed their wing backs up after the break they began to put us under pressure - but we kept our shape at the back until conceding that goal to Will Evans. We never gave up though - and Jack Wilson fired home to earn us a deserved point!"

Scott Tancock (Haverfordwest's injured defender):
"My injured ankle is still sore but I hope to be back for our next game - and I have to say that watching is far harder than playing alongside Sean Pembs! I thought we should have been about 3-1 ahead at half time and feared the worst when we went behind - but we are now a team that never gives up and I was pleased we got something out of this match!"

Haverfordwest County: Matthew Turner, Dan Summerfield, Ricky Watts (Marcus Griffiths 88), Sean Pemberton (captain), Alaric Jones, Elliot Scotcher, Kieran Lewis, Corey Shephard (Ben Fawcett 88), Jack Wilson, Mark Jones, Danny Williams (Kurtis Rees 75).
Substitutes not used: Jack Britton, Tristan Jones, Josh Le Grice

Bala Town: John Rushton, Sean Smith, Nathan Peate, Antony Stephens, Will Evans, Raul Correia (Henry Jones 66), Steve Leslie, Antony Kay, Lassana Mendes, Chris Venables (captain), Ollie Shannon.
Substitutes not used: Ryan Pryce, Llyr Morris, Liam Davies, Jonny Spittle.

Referee: David Morgan.
Assistants: Lewis Edwards & Harry Hendricks.
Fourth Official: Bryn Markham-Jones.

Skipper Sean Pemberton in possession. Picture by Matthew Kelly of Rawphotography