Bluebirds progress in cup as Barry pay the penalty

Jack Wilson grabbed a crucial equaliser for Haverfordwest County

Nathaniel MG Cup 2nd Round:

Haverfordwest County 1 – Barry Town United 1

(Haverfordwest County win 5-4 on penalties)

Welsh Premier Barry Town United were dumped out of the Nathaniel MG Cup following Haverfordwest County’s dramatic penalty shootout victory at the Bridge Meadow Stadium.

Gavin Chesterfield’s Barry outfit were expected to win this tie comfortably, but football is a funny old game, after 90 minutes it finished 1-1 and was then decided on penalties, which the Bluebirds held their nerve to secure an excellent 5-4 victory.

Bluebirds manager Wayne Jones said shortly afterwards: “In the first half I didn’t think there was a lot between us, apart from them scoring from the spot.

“We worked hard in the second period and were rewarded with a spectacular Jack Wilson free kick; and I have to confess we’ve worked on that routine in training.”

Kayne McLaggon gave the visitors the lead from the spot and late in the tie, super sub Wilson equalised with an exquisite curling edge of the area free kick.

Then successful spot kicks by Marcus Griffiths, Elliot Thomas, Kurtis Rees, Tom Dyson and Ricky Watts earned the Bluebirds their deserved place in the hat for the next round.

Stuart denied Clayton Greene from the third penalty and skipper Luke Cooper hit the foot of the post as the Barry crashed out.

The visitors opened the scoring early when McLaggon was felled inside the box, it looked a rather soft decision with minimal contact, the striker dusted himself off and buried his effort from 12 yards which keeper Stuart got a hand to but couldn’t stop it entering the net.

The Welsh Premier outfit bossed the rest of the half and really should have added to their tally, but some tenacious defending from Jake Merry, Miles Jones, Scott Tancock and skipper Sean Pemberton kept them out, plus keeper Stuart had a superb game pulling off a number of important saves during the tie.

Just before the break goal scorer McLaggon had an effort cleared off the line by Pemberton as it stayed 1-0 to the visitors at half time.

The Bluebirds played much better in the second period playing into a strong head wind. Griffiths scuffed a shot from distance, Dyson struck a fierce rising shot over the crossbar.
Ben Fawcett presses for The Bluebirds

Stuart pulled of a brilliant stop to deny substitute Elijah Phipps from a drilled low shot inside the box.
Ben Fawcett worked tirelessly, but the striker injured an ankle as he limped off to be replaced by Wilson.

Late in the game Wilson equalised with a sublime curling free kick which beat Barry keeper George Ratcliffe at his near post.

Haverfordwest County: Kyle Stuart; Jake Merry; Miles John; Scott Tancock; Sean Pemberton (Captain); Ricky Watts; Kurtis Rees; Tom Dyson; Ben Fawcett; Marcus Griffiths; Tyler Brock. Substitutes: Sam Rodon; Elliot Thomas; Jack Wilson; Nicky Palmer; Steve Hall (gk).

Barry Town United: George Ratcliffe; Luke Cooper (Captain); Robbie Patten; Kayne McLaggon; Troy Hiscock-Greening; Luke Cummings; Jonathan Hood; Keyon Reffell; Rhys Abbruzzese; Evan Press. Substitutes: Paul Morgan; Curtis Watkins; Elijah Phipps; Jordan Cotterill; Clayton Green.

Referee: Ben Williams.
Assistants: Daniel Beckett & Bryn Jones
Fourth official: Tom Bevan.

Marcus Griffiths is forced into the corner