Bluebirds finally win first home league game in the top flight

Jack Wilson scores the opener. Picture by Matthew Kelly of Rawphotography 

JD Cymru Premier


Haverfordwest County 2 – Aberystwyth Town 0

This midweek game had everything; cracking goals, pulsating action, lights failure plus the drama of the referee who picked up a leg injury and had to be replaced by the fourth official in the second half.

For the record, Haverfordwest County have finally secured their first home victory of the season in the JD Cymru Premier in a highly entertaining clash with Aberystwyth Town at the Bridge Meadow.

Jack Wilson opened the scoring before floodlight failure paused the game for 20 minutes, but once the problem was fixed  it was Danny Williams who added the second just before the break. Midway through the second period referee David Morgan picked up an injury and was replaced by Alexander McInch to cause another break of almost ten minutes!

Bluebirds' boss Wayne Jones was pleased with his side’s gritty display plus of course the result against his former club, and this was the hosts’ second win on the trot as they aim for a top six finish.

Wilson strikes third time luck

It was Haverfordwest County who started the better, fashioning two chances in the opening five minutes that both fell to Wilson, who might have done better in his current form.

Williams and Ben Fawcett pressed as the ball fell to Wilson inside the box, but the in-form man frustratingly volleyed wide.

Minutes later the lively Wilson cut in from the right, he struck a low curling effort which agonisingly flew past the post.

Skipper Sean Pemberton also flicked on a long throw straight into the grateful arms of Aber keeper Connor Roberts.

The Seasiders had their first sight at goal as Owain Jones cut in from the right and unleashed a left footed drive well wide, whilst Bluebirds' goalkeeper Wojciech Gajda made a routine save to deny the visitors from a well taken free kick.

The hosts opened the scoring in the 17th minute when Fawcett’s intentional flick on fell kindly to Wilson who shrugged off a would-be tackler and raced clear, coolly slotting past Roberts.

A minute later saw Aber nearly equalise as Pemberton puts in a superb last-ditch tackle to deny Jones.

In the 24th minute the visitors had the ball in the net from a teasing corner, but luckily for the hosts it was disallowed as referee David Morgan spotted a barge on keeper Gajda.

Floodlight failure

There was a temporary stoppage as the Bridge Meadow suffered floodlight failure. Special praise to local electrician Simon Morgan who fixed the problem, ensuring the game could thankfully be completed, and to referee Morgan for showing his patience.

Once fixed it was the Seasiders who applied the pressure with Jones striking a shot high over the bar, plus Louis Gerrard heading over from a set piece in the box. Marc Williams’ goal-bound shot was brilliantly cleared off the goal line by Kurtis Rees; the Aber man could not believe his luck.

Danny boy strikes

Against the run of play the hosts grabbed their second goal of the match. Pemberton glanced a header at a corner which was met by Danny Williams who applied the crucial finishing touch as he nodded in at the far post.

So the Bluebirds led 2-0 at the break, but the Seasiders could count themselves rather unlucky that they did not score.

Wilson so involved as a real threat

Wayne Jones’ men came out in the second with half all guns blazing. Wilson raced down the right; his dangerous cross was met by Fawcett, who agonisingly forced his shot wide.

Wilson was unlucky not to add the third, his powerfully diving header from a corner crashed off the post before being cleared.

The Seasiders had a succession of corners that came to nothing thanks to some excellent defending in depth by the Bluebirds.

A swift counter attack released Wilson who could have scored but Roberts came off his line quickly to smother a good scoring opportunity.

At the other end Steven Hewitt struck a vicious shot from the edge of the box which was brilliantly saved by Gajda' diving low to his right and pushing the ball to safety.

Injury to referee

The game briefly stopped as referee David Morgan was treated to what looked like a muscle injury to his leg before he was replaced by fourth official Alexander McInch.

In the 70th minute Gajda pulled off another stunning save to deny Jack Rimmer from scoring with a powerful shot.

Substitute Marcus Griffiths, who replaced Fawcett (who had run himself into the ground), held the ball up well before feeding Williams down the right, and his floated cross was met by an Elliot Scotcher header which flew over the crossbar.

Superb work by Williams found Ricky Watts. inside the box but the defender’s low drive was cleared just before Griffiths could find the scoring touch.

Tame shot

Gerrard struck a tame effort straight into the grateful arms of Gajda and at the other end Watts played in Griffiths but the substitute’s cross/cum shot went harmlessly wide.

There was seven minutes of added time, but still The Seasiders couldn't find that elusive goal against the resilient Bluebirds, who celebrated another impressive three points in the bag from an impressive all-round team performance.

This Saturday, 5th December, Haverfordwest County entertain bottom of the table Cefn Druids at the Bridge Meadow Stadium.

Haverfordwest County: Wojciech Gajda, Daniel Summerfield (90, Cameron Keetch), Trystan Jones, Sean Pemberton (Captain), Scott Tancock, Ricky Watts, Ben Fawcett (73, Marcus Griffiths), Jack Wilson (80, Mark Jones), Kurtis Rees, Elliot Scotcher, Danny Williams.
Substitutes not used: Matthew Turner (GK), Jack Britton.

Aberystwyth Town: Connor Roberts, Louis Bradford, Lee Jenkins, Jamie Veale, Marc Williams (Captain), Steffan Davies, Gwion Owen (67, Adam Davies), Steven Hewitt, Owain Jones, Louis Gerrard.
Substitutes not used: Rhys Davies, David Evans, Richard Ricketts, Jack Thorn, Thomas Rimmer, Keurten Martha.

Referee: David Morgan.
Assistants: Daniel Beckett & Bryn Jones.
Fourth Official: Alexander McInch.