West Wales Intermediate Cup and Division 1 action on Saturday, 6th November 2021

Scott Ferney scores the third goal for Merlins Bridge


West Wales Intermediate Cup Round 2


Wizards blow Rovers away at Racecourse


Merlins Bridge 7 – Murton Rovers 2

Scott Ferney bagged a well taken hat-trick to lead his side to a comprehensive victory at home against Swansea Senior League Division Two outfit Murton Rovers, writes Gordon Thomas.

Holders Merlins Bridge won the West Wales Intermediate Cup back in 2019, the competition hasn’t been played since due to the COVID19 pandemic.

The Wizards got off to a dream start when Jordan Williams struck, but the lead was short-lived when Steven Herbert hit the back of the net to level matters.

Rovers took the lead as David Griffiths broke clear and coolly slotted past keeper James Dickson.

However, with a strong wind in the Wizards’ favour they grabbed two quick fire goals. Williams struck an equaliser then Ferney scored with sumptuous curling strike from the edge of the box into the top corner which gave his side a narrow 3-2 half time lead.

Three minutes after the restart the Wizards added their fourth, Ferney stroked home his second of the tie. In the 51st minute the hard-working Will Haworth scored with a sublime finish for his side’s fifth.

The Rovers found the going tough at a rainswept Racecourse, but Gareth ‘Taffy’ Williams’ team continued to press, they were rewarded when midfielder Ben Davies found the back of the net for goal number six.

Two minutes from full time, man of the match Ferney was on target with the seventh, earning the lively striker a well-deserved treble.

Merlins Bridge: J. Dickson, C. Ormond, C. Brown, A. John, J. Silk, J. Williams, F. Finlay, B. Davies, S. Ferney, W. Haworth, J. Smith. Subs: A. Hawkins, H. Goddard, G. Roberts, D. Davies, L. Hudgell.
Murton Rovers: D. Radbone, A. Davies, J. Davies, A. Hasan, D. Herbert, M. Rees, S. Herbert, T. Brady, T. Griffiths, M. Resteghini, C. Mildenhall. Subs: J. Harvey, J. Gabriel, R. Weston, T. Harris, J. Allen.
Referee: David Badger.

Skip that tackle

Ten-man Sports battle for brave cup win


Fishguard Sports 3 – Pennar Robins 2

Sean Seymour-Davies bagged a first half brace which set the tone for ten-man Fishguard Sports who narrowly overcame Pennar Robins to progress in the competition.

This was a highly entertaining all local cup tie at Tregroes, the hosts stormed into a comfortable two goal lead, thanks to Seymour-Davies who found the back of the net in the 12th and 33rd minutes.

Shortly after the interval the visitors pulled one back through Craig Asparassa, in the 58th minute the Sports applied pressure which saw luckless Robins’ defender Jacob Davies bundle the ball into his own net as the score poignantly stood at 3-1 to the Sports.

Two minutes later the hosts were reduced to ten men after defender Matthew Lewis was issued a straight red card, subsequently Luke Phillips confidently drilled home a penalty to set-up a tense nervous finish, but Brian Kinsella’s Sports bravely held firm to gain a place in the next round.

Fishguard Sports: P. Hughes, M. Lewis, S. Thomas, A. Couzens, N. Kinsella, K. Hedley, D. Hopkin, S. Seymour-Davies, I. Llewellyn, J. Raymond, S. Lewis. Subs: J. Gethin, L. Thomas, H. Hughes, M. John.
Pennar Robins: R. Williams, N. Willis, S. Southcott, R. Jones, T. Grimwood, S. Edmundson, N. Davison, C. Asparassa, K. Smith, L. Phillips, J. Davies. Subs: N. Brunton, C. Willis, C. Roberts.
Referee: Neil Crawshaw.

Adam Muskett scored winner for Carew. Picture Susan McKehon

High scoring victory for impressive Rooks


Bonymaen Colts 1 – Carew 11

On fire Carew ran riot against Swansea Senior League Division Two outfit Bonymaen Colts to stroll into the next round.

2019 finalists Carew dominated possession also chances from the first whistle to the last. The visitors led 5-0 at half time plus added six further goals in the second.

Starring for the visitors were Adam Muskett who netted five goals also Sam Christopher who was on target with four plus there was one a piece for Spencer Williams and Max Brindley as the Rooks flew into the next round, despite Camron Jones who scored a late consolation effort.

Bonymaen Colts: S. Dawkins, B. Collins, J. Litchfield, D. Thomas, T. Powell, K. Williams, C. Lewis, J. Bellamy, J. Edwards, L. Manning, D. Roderick. Subs: K. White, R. Evans.
Carew: T. Davies, J. Knox, H. Shapcott, S. Richards, I. Izzard, S. Christopher, J. Williams, A. Muskett, J. Hinchliffe, C. Hurlow, S. Whitfield. Subs: M. Brindley, D. Morgan, A. Smith.
Referee: Clive Halliday.

Manderwood Pembrokeshire Football League Division 1


Hay double earns Hundleton easy win at Tish


St Ishmaels 1 - Hundleton 4

Hundleton scored two goals in each half to gain a comfortable victory at St Ishmaels.

A double from Connor Hay and one each by Aaron Goldsmith and Charlie Perkins secured the points for the visitors.

This was the only game played in division one as most of the other local clubs were involved in West Wales Intermediate Cup.

Following this win Hundleton took advantage to move up the league ladder to sixth, whilst Tish sit second from bottom and are still awaiting their first points of the season.

In the sixth minute Goldsmith opened the scoring, then Hay banged home the second shortly before the interval.

The visitors scored two further goals in the second period; Charlie Perkins set up Hay for his second of the game but the visitors’ third.

Goal scorer Perkins then assisted for Cameron Brunton who made no mistake with his side’s fourth.
Tish had the final say as Andre Algieri scored what can best be described as a consolation.

St Ishmaels: C. Garton, S. Goodall, M. Evans, K. Rendell, A. Davies, J. Morgan, A. Kingsbeer, T. Sheil, O. Lawrie, N. Thomas, B. Devonald. Subs: I. Hawkins, D. Ninnis, A. Algieri.
Hundleton: D. Griffiths, D. Powers, G. Lewis, R. Griffiths, A. Lewis, D. Kitts, C. Brunton, C. Perkins, C. Hay, A. Goldsmith, J. Buckle. Subs: J. Stanley, J. Richards.
Referee: Roy Boswell.